Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Pollock Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 01:10 PM
    A career in photography- general questions
    Hello,
    I'm considering learning professional photography, however, my knowledge about the field is very limited and consists of a lot of conflicting pieces of information. I would be very grateful for any insightful thoughts about the profession and hints that could help me navigate my career as soon as I've finished my training. I would also appreciate advice on photography courses available in London. For the time being I'm inclined to enroll at Blake College.
    I would like to thank my advisers for their time and help. I also apologise for my question's generality; at this very initial stage I'm finding it very difficult to be more specific. Happy New Year! Greg
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Dec 31, 2007, 01:19 PM
    I've found a lot of good information in photography books rather than by asking the pros, as they will sometimes lie in order to prevent you from getting good at it. The books that I've found help most are those that show photos of what they are telling you to do - like one I found here in the states showing what happens to the same water scene when taken at different shutter speeds. Though not a pro myself, my photos with my Canon EOS Rebel LRS got MUCH better when I understood what it was doing on the automatic settings as well as what I needed to set myself to get certain effects I was after. And of course, the best way to get better at your profession is to keep taking photos! (Just don't do shady things like the "professional photographer" I hired to take photos of me in lingerie for my husband a few years ago. He took about 4 rolls of film at 24 shots per roll, but only produced about 12 prints for me to give to my hubby - and refused to produce the negatives saying he had destroyed them after making the prints. I suspect I'll eventually find photos of myself on some kinky web site from this jerk... )
    lschoeggl Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Jan 2, 2008, 06:05 PM
    First step would be to decide what type of pro photography you are interested in -- commercial (product photos or photos for ads), editorial (on assignment for newspapers or magazines), fashion (typically again for advertising although much more edgy), portrait, wedding, etc.

Once you know what direction you want to go in, I do recommend doing a bit of research into others in your area who work in that line. Pick your favorites and ask them if they might be interested in letting you intern with them to learn the ropes. Most pros are more open to teaching you some of the key principles when they know you are helping out in their own business at the same time. And who knows, it could lead to long-term employment. At the very least, it will give you a chance to get your feet wet and see if you even like it before you invest too much money in your education.
    prairie son Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jan 27, 2008, 06:49 PM
    One other thing-------take business courses in college. Learn how to sell yourself. And you had better like people if you plan on photographing them. It doesn't matter how good you are if you can't sell your work. Trust me, people will not beat down your door just because you can take good photos.
    Prairie Son, Retired Pro Photographer
    munirah_91 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Take a short course. And during the training you also could earn money by be a photographer for events such as wedding etc.
    eddyrawlea Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 4, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Pollock
    Hello,
    I'm considering learning professional photography, however, my knowledge about the field is very limited and consists of a lot of conflicting pieces of information. I would be very grateful for any insightful thoughts about the profession and hints that could help me navigate my career as soon as I've finished my training. I would also appreciate advice on photography courses available in London. For the time being I'm inclined to enroll at Blake College.
    I would like to thank my advisers for their time and help. I also apologise for my question's generality; at this very initial stage I'm finding it very difficult to be more specific. Happy New Year! Greg
    Hi Greg,
    Photography is a very huge market, there are many ways to develop a career in this field, I've lived the dream for over 15 years. Photography has brought me to places and people I wouldn't have ever believed.. .
    However, the digital revolution has made everyone a photographer. Many companies now hire Jacks nephew who just bought a digital camera, because he is willing to to it for free, and we can pay him a couple of bucks if we like what he's got.
    In order to succeed you must build relations and keep them. You must prove that your work is worthy of the fees you charge and better than the "spec" work of Jacks nephew.
    You also must love what you do... which is the easy part... :)
    Good Luck
    elfkar Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2008, 01:25 PM
    You can also try microstock photography, I hear this is a good start to help you make money. Try a Google search on sell microstock
    lesbenton Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2008, 10:45 AM
    First: eddyrawlea above knows what he is talking about. To beat out family competition you have to be good. Not everyone knows what "good" is in photography. I suggest that you pack your clothes and move to LA California and attend the Art Center school of Design in Pasadena. There you will learn what you are looking for and what you can do to get it. Make yourself a portfolio of 10-15 photographs. Be creative. Forget babies and naked women. Send the shots to Art Center and tell them you really want to be a great photographer and you have been told that Art Center is the place to go. Really do a selling job on yourself. Then tell them your financial situation, whatever it is be honest. Then ask them to help you. There are grants, loans, and scholarships available to anyone they think is worth the them. Tell them what you will do to help yourself. If you can get there you will never regret it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

General questions about heat pumps [ 6 Answers ]

My home heat pump only blowing ambient air, not cool or hot I don't hear the thermostat click when I lower the setting and I can't hear the compressor kick in any ideas?

General Equity Questions [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find out how much equity you have in your home? Also, what if your property value has gone up both through renovations and an increase in values in general in the area, how do you get the mortgage co to recognize this? My tax assesed value has doubled, I know that it is not necessarily a...

Few general questions. [ 2 Answers ]

What is the easiest way to plumb (water supply) a bathroom, considering a simple design of sink, toilet, and shower all in line? (all have same wet wall). Lines coming in closest to sink. When running supply lines to washing machine, what is the purpose of those copper "hammer" devices I see...

5 General Questions [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I have a science fair project on Forensic Science (the whole project is presented to judges in February but right now we are working a bit on in in science class) and we had a assignment to do a Mentor Interview which basically we ask questions to a expert on the topic. Here are my 5...

View more questions Search