Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vtgirl26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 10:25 AM
    4 Month Old House - Cracking Walls & Popping Floors
    On the second floor of my new house there are loud popping noises when I step near the center support wall that divides two of the bedrooms. The closet doors in both bedrooms have dropped in the upper right corners - I can not shut the doors. There are several hairline cracks where the walls and ceiling meet all over the house. Its winter in VT and wonder if this is playing a part of the problem.

The popping in the floor is my major concern as the cracks I can fill after the settling party is over.:rolleyes:
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Dec 31, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Settling is normal. Settling enough to cause cracks is not normal, but is definitely not unheard of. Settling to the point that doors no longer operate is downright alarming. I would be concerned that a load bearing entity(whether it's a wall, posts, pilons, etc) has not been placed or supported properly.

In my opinion, you should have someone look at the problem, just to make sure you're not in line for larger problems. It seems to me like someone miscalculated the required load bearing points.

The popping could be anything, really. It would need to be investigated in person to find the culprit.

Thanks,
    Json
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 31, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Schwim makes some good points. This much settling in 4 months is a big red flag. It normally takes a complete seasonal cycle to get much settling done. I would involve your builder by sending him a letter specifying the problems and follow up with a phone call. If this becomes a legal issue you don't want him saying he was never aware of the problem. If the house continues to settle you may need a structural engineer and maybe a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracking, popping noise in walls and ceilings [ 15 Answers ]

I've been living for 3 months in my new 3-story townhome, and I've recently Noticed loud cracking noises coming from various locations along my interior and exterior walls and ceilings. The noise only occurs once, although different locations can pop at around the same time. These noises come...

Old house has an odor. Could it be the floors? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house to live in. It was built in 1912 and smells like an old house and then there is a dirty, nasty smell, not mold, not death (but close to it). I steam cleaned the carpeted areas. I don't think it was there. The carpet smells like dust a bit and the water in the steam cleaner...

Popping sound in walls when water is turned on [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard that the popping sounds are Due to air inside the water lines. What's the best way to get rid of it? Bill

Toilet Training in a house with many floors [ 1 Answers ]

We have 4 month old Lhasa Apso and live in a house set on four floors including the ground. We have puppy training pads on each floor but the dog still has regular accidents. We put him outside on a regular basis but he only very occasionally goes to the toilet. Any advice please would be very...

New basement bathroom floors/walls [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I am looking to build a bathroom in our basement. The room will be positioned right next to the sewer line which exits just above the concrete floor. We have a drain pipe in place for a toilet and have to begin framing the floor and walls. The toilet will have to be 9" off the concrete...

View more questions Search