Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    San Fran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Re: Popping Noises coming from the Ceiling
    Date is 12/30/07.

I purchased a new constructed home here in the San Francisco Bay area in May 2005. Late October 2005 when it started to get cold here I turned on the Heating unit and started to hear popping sounds in the masterbedroom, kitchen, great room and the foyer by the front door. The other side of the house where the additional (2) bedrooms are and (1) bath no popping sounds. Only in the rooms I mentioned. It is now Dec. 2007 and I am still hearing these sounds. The sounds, sound like a ballon popping or a gunshot blast going off. Very Very Loud. During the summer months when I turn on the A/C I do not hear these sounds. Only when it gets cold here October - March. I have had the builder supertindent and all subs here and they keep telling me they do not know what is causing the problem. I have informed them you built the house, you are the experts not me. I am not in the building business. It has gotten to the point where staying in this house is un-tolerable. I am at the point where legal action needs to be taken.

From an expert such as yourself can you tell me what is causing these popping sounds? Home was built by Arcadia Builders out of San Jose, CA.

Thank you,
    San Fran
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
    SAN FRAN - You are not alone with these problems, #1- ALL , materials , due to heat & cold tempertures will EXPAND & CONTRACT, which I will say is your problem, ( hope not slight earth quakes). Just to give you an example- all your big buildings have expansion joints because concrete will expand & contract quite a bit with temp change. A railroad tract has expansion joints also, when it is cool, the joints are wide open,as it gets hotter durning the day the joints will make a loud klack,and close solid. ONE thing you can do before any legal action, IF you know someone that is a engineer, arcatect, or can talk to one I believe They can decide if what I have written is the cause or what is, I know they could explain the ( EXpansion & contraction of Every material you can think of ) Good luck, and I hope I have Helped With My Answer, Rate it if it does,below. . Ive worked since 1960 in construction. :::: F.B.E.
    HFBOWLES Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 6, 2008, 11:06 AM
    I agree sounds like expansion and contraction I've heard lots of this more so in plumbing drains

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE air condioner popping noises [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, everybody. My new GE air-conditioner (GE ASM08LK is the model) makes "popping noises" all the time. Plunk! Pink! Ping! All day. Is this normal? Or can I fix it myself? Or this something a warranty would cover?

Air Popping Noises from drain [ 3 Answers ]

I recently added a new bathroom and in the sink and shower we hear air popping Noises through the drain traps after running the water. This lasts several minutes and Make single popping noises every few seconds. How can I fix this?

Laminate Floor Making Popping Noises [ 4 Answers ]

I've looked and can't find this question. I had laminate floors professionally installed; while I understand the "hollow" sound when walking in shoes, mine is making a popping or cracking sound in places. When I called the contractor they said it was due to settling and should disappear in a few...

Belching Noises coming from pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I own a 10 year old house that has a septic system with a 1,500 gallon tank. Lately I have been hearing numerous “belching” noises coming from various parts of the pipes in the basement. Does this indicate clogging? Does this indicate a serious problem?

View more questions Search