Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenirius Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2005, 02:52 PM
    Quadratic Equations... Problem Solving
    A ball is thrown straight up. Its height, h(in metres), after t seconds is give by h= -5t^2+10t+2. To the nearest tenth of a second, when is the ball 6m above the ground? Explain why there are two answers.

I don't know how to manipulate the formula and how to solve for this problem.

Second question,

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes to swing back and forth, returning to its original position. The relationship between the period, T(in seconds), and the length of the pendulum, L(in metres) is as follows,

T^2 - 4L=0
    Correct to the nearest tenth of a second, what is the period of a pendulum 3m long?

Do you use factoring and how?

Thank you.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2005, 03:04 PM
    Question 1
    Formula Given:
    h= -5t^2+10t+2

They tell you h=6, find t

So,
    -5t^2+10t+2 = h
    -5t^2+10t+2 = 6
    -5t^2+10t-4=0

Use the Quadratic Equation on the above formula.

X = -b +- sqrroot(b^2-4ac) / 2a

Therefore X, or t = .552786 or t=1.44721

Rounding to the nearest tenth of a second, t = 0.6 and 1.4

Why are there 2 values for t? Because the ball hits the 6m mark on the way up (at t=0.6) and then hits the 6m mark on the way down (at t=1.4)
    Idin89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Research and write a math problem using math in any field of employment. You should exclude the obvious (teachers). Describe how they use math in their field and work through a typical problem. Again, the math must fit an Intermediate Algebra standard and you must state the standard. Make sure if you get an idea from your test that it is a standard for this year. There are topics in the book for scaffolding to other classes so cannot be used since they are not a standard for this year.:confused:
    Can some one please Help me with this I want to use ( Quadratic Equation)
    hotty707 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 10:10 PM
    What is the denominator of each of these decimal numbers when they are written as lowest-terms fractions or mixed numbers?

4.65_____________
    .24___________-
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Mar 9, 2007, 06:53 PM
    Both of you should write your questions separately from the original one since they have nothing to do with it. Also, you should not expect us to do your homework questions for you.
    s10762 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 08:29 AM
    Losers you do not know any thing!! Waste of time ?
    s10762 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 08:30 AM
    **** off!! I am not going to answer any thing for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Solving Quadratic Equations to Graph [ 3 Answers ]

How would I graph x^2-3x=4 to solve it? And I would I check? Thank You.

Functions... problem solving [ 4 Answers ]

A 0.5kg ball is thrown vertically upward at a speed of 25m/s. Its velocity, v(t) (in m/s), at time t(in seconds0, is given by v(t)=25-9.8t. Its kinetic evergy, K(v) (in Joules), is given by K(v)=0.5v^2. Express the balls kinetic energy as a function of time, K(t). OKay I have no idea even where...

Algebraic Equations Max and Min Problem Solving [ 17 Answers ]

Ms. Brown has 200m of fencing with which she intends to construct a rectangular enclosure along a river where no fencing is needed. She plans to divide the enclosure into two parts to separate her sheep from her coats, two perfect squars with right angles, river at upper portion of diagram. What...

Solving for m and b [ 5 Answers ]

How would you break down these equations to solve for m and b? 9=-3m+b 4=-m+b Thank you.

Inequalities problem solving [ 3 Answers ]

Brandon and Pat drove from Edmonton to Saskatoon a distance of 545km. Brandon drove the first part of the trip at an average speed of 100km/h, and Pat drove the remainder at an average speed of 90km/h. If the trip took Brandon and Pat 5.75h, determine the number of hours each drove. I'm so lost, I...

View more questions Search