Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Dec 30, 2007, 11:33 PM
    Get better eyesight withought surgery
    I remember a while ago someone saying there's a way to get better eyesight without surgery. I have glasses and I want to know if this is true.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Eating fruits and vegetables with antioxidents such as green tea, carrots, pomegranates, bilberry, lutein and lycopene are suppose to help eyesight, at best they can help from further deterioration. I know the healthier I eat the better my vision is and other days when I don't eat healthy enough I scare myself that I feel like my vision is way worse.
    A couple years ago somebody was selling a book on exercise for your eyes and he said that looking through pinhole size glasses forces your eyes to focus which strenghens the muscles.

Dec 31, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Thank you I'll guess I'll do a little research.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 04:46 AM
    Eye Therapy is crap, it doesn't work. There is nothing wrong with having Lasik or PRK if it is needed to correct your vision.

Jan 12, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Eye Therapy is crap, it doesn't work. There is nothing wrong with having Lasik or PRK if it is needed to correct your vision.
    Yeah, tell me that when the doctor makes a mistake and I'm blind.
    Vision Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bigchamp
    Yeah, tell me that when the doctor makes a mistake and I'm blind.
    I wouldn't have to. Do you know how many times that's happened? NEVER.:) You are just uneducated on the subject.

Jan 13, 2008, 03:03 PM
    I wouldn't have to. Do you know how many times that's happened? NEVER.:) You are just uneducated on the subject.
    That is not true, look at the many possible things that could happen after the corrective precedure. Although not all of these happen due to a mistake, they are still things someone wouldn't want to happen. This is quoted from Munley.com.

Some patients lose vision. Some patients lose lines of vision on the vision chart that cannot be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or surgery as a result of treatment.

Some patients develop debilitating visual symptoms. Some patients develop glare, halos, and/or double vision that can seriously affect nighttime vision. Even with good vision on the vision chart, some patients do not see as well in situations of low contrast, such as at night or in fog, after treatment as compared to before treatment.

You may be under treated or over treated. Only a certain percent of patients achieve 20/20 vision without glasses or contacts. You may require additional treatment, but additional treatment may not be possible. You may still need glasses or contact lenses after surgery. This may be true even if you only required a very weak prescription before surgery. If you used reading glasses before surgery, you may still need reading glasses after surgery.

Some patients may develop severe dry eye syndrome. As a result of surgery, your eye may not be able to produce enough tears to keep the eye moist and comfortable. Dry eye not only causes discomfort, but can reduce visual quality due to intermittent blurring and other visual symptoms. This condition may be permanent. Intensive drop therapy and use of plugs or other procedures may be required.

Results are generally not as good in patients with very large refractive errors of any type. You should discuss your expectations with your doctor and realize that you may still require glasses or contacts after the surgery.

You should also take a look at this. Laser Eye Surgery: LASIK complications, LASIK performed incorrectly
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 03:18 PM
    It looks as though you are uneducated on the subject.

Scientists at Ohio State University analyzed data from 605 patients who had undergone LASIK (laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis) surgery at least six months earlier. Reported vision problems included seeing halos, starbursts and glare surrounding lights - problems that can affect the quality of vision at night.

The study showed that these symptoms may persist in some patients long after the eye heals.
    I guess you haven't seen this report from the FDA
    US FDA/CDRH: LASIK - What are the risks and how can I find the right doctor for me?

Jan 13, 2008, 03:32 PM
    I still need to know any alternatives to laser eye surgery.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 03:43 PM
    I don't know that there are any tried and true alternatives that are as effective as Lasik. While there are people who have had bad outcomes with the surgery, that number is significantly lower than those who have good outcomes.

Diet and possibly eye exercise may help, but they are not guaranteed either.

Jan 13, 2008, 03:46 PM
    I just don't want to risk my eyesight if all I want is to lose the glasses.
    Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 04:02 PM
    I don't blame you there. You may not even be a candidate for Lasik surgery. You know that not all people can have this done.

I know, ummm, I think about 10 people that have had this done and only one regrets it as he sees halos at night, and his night vision is virtually ruined as far as driving at night goes.

Also, while some doctors are "licensed" or "certified" to do this, their track record proves less than admirable.

I would check (If you are in the US) with an FDA approved doctor.

Have you seen this site?

US FDA/CDRH: LASIK - FDA-Approved Lasers for LASIK

Jan 13, 2008, 04:13 PM
    Well I know that I'm not getting the procedure done, some of the things I do to make money are dependent on my ability to see. Also in one of my jobs, there is a extremely high chance I'll be taking hits to the face.
    Vision Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Well, I've never heard of it happening. Perhaps I just work for a great doctor. He's performed over 16,000 surgeries and no one has gone blind. How many people actually gone blind due to LASIK?

Jan 13, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Well, I've never heard of it happening. Perhaps I just work for a great doctor. He's performed over 16,000 surgeries and no one has gone blind. How many people actually gone blind due to LASIK?
    I'm not sure how many people have gone blind, but I do know that there are possibilities of hindered vision.
    Vision Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 10:04 PM
    I'm not sure how many people have gone blind, but I do know that there are possibilities of hindered vision.
    Blindness and hindered vision are two very different things. And if you are not a candidate for LASIK there are many other procedures for vision correction that are available. But I cannot think of anything other than contacts, glasses, and Laser eye correction to help you see better...

Jan 14, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Well either way, I can't have hindered vision or blindness. All I wanted to know if there was an alternative to eye surgery.
    Vision Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Well either way, I can't have hindered vision or blindness. All I wanted to know if there was an alternative to eye surgery.
    Glasses or contacts.

Jan 14, 2008, 07:39 PM
    If you were reading, you would already know I have glasses. I'm trying to lose the glasses and contacts without surgery.
    Vision Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 07:43 PM
    If you were reading you would know that other than glasses, contacts, and surgery there are no other alternatives... sorry... Take your pick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eyesight problems - flashing/sparkles [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know if anyone can help but here goes: Over the last few days I have been having problems with my eyesight, the best I can describe it is like the flashing pixels in a computer/tv - my whole sight is like this. It's not blurred in any way, nor is there any really bright flashing...

Cosmetic Surgery thesis statement on Risks and benefits of Cosmetic Surgery [ 4 Answers ]

I need a thesis statement on Cosmetic Surgery, I will be during my essay on Risks and benefits. What are your thoughts?

How to understand eyesight number [ 2 Answers ]

What does this mean in terms of eyesight - CYL -R--2.25, L - -2.75

Cat's eyesight [ 1 Answers ]

Is it true that cats can see in the dark, or is this just a myth?

Hearing and eyesight question.. Please read [ 4 Answers ]

I have two sisters who have been deaf since birth. I am the middle child yet I was unaffected. They also are having a problem with their eye sight. Its like tunnel vision I think. As the years go by their side vision keeps shrinking. My older sister can't see anything that's not in front of her. I...

View more questions Search