Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chris215 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Code 19 - Vista Home Basic
    Can anybody help me with this problem? My CD/DVD Drive does not work; in the Device Manager there is a message which says: "windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code 19). Please note that my PC runs with Vista Home Basic, I've read about people resolving this problem on XP however I'm not sure whether the same applies to Vista. I should be immensely grateful if anybody would help me to fix this problem. Thank you.

Christian
    London
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 10:56 PM
    Click start, programs, accessoried, system tools then system restore

You'll be offered a recommended restore point (the last one taken). To select from what is available, pick, "Choose a different restore point" and you'll get a list. By default this list only shows restore points taken in the last five days (check the box at the bottom of the dialog to see them all).

Pick a date when everything worked fine and click restore, it may take a few miniutes, machine will restart and let it finish till message system restore is done

Dec 31, 2007, 03:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83
    click start, programs, accessoried, system tools then system restore

You'll be offered a recommended restore point (the last one taken). To select from what is available, pick, "Choose a different restore point" and you'll get a list. By default this list only shows restore points taken in the last five days (check the box at the bottom of the dialog to see them all).

Pick a date when everything worked fine and click restore, it may take a few miniutes, machine will restart and let it finish till message system restore is done

Thank you for this useful suggestion, unfortunately my last restore point is dated at the beginning of December and this problem occurred in November, and ever since I've been trying to fix it. I have even bought a new Philips External DVD -RW Drive with USB connection, however the system failed to install the driver owing to this error in the registry. I believe the only solution at present would be to rectify the error in the registry, but I am not competent enough in this field to edit the registry. Furthermore, I do not have any instructions to follow to resolve this problem. Therefore if anybody has had exactly the same problem (using Vista) and managed to fix it, kindly let me know what to do. I would like to thank Seahwk83 for his answer to my question, it is much appreciated.

Christian
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2007, 03:43 AM
    It sounds like the "upperfilters" issue. If you recently uninstalled a CD burning software program this can happen.

The Microsoft fix is here: You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

If you are uncomfortable editing the Registry yourself you can try this:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...cd_dvd_fix.vbs
    Download to Desktop and double-click the file.

Dec 31, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It sounds like the "upperfilters" issue. If you recently uninstalled a CD burning software program this can happen.

The Microsoft fix is here: You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31"

If you are uncomfortable editing the Registry yourself you can try this:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...cd_dvd_fix.vbs
    Download to Desktop and double-click the file.

I have tried the link you provided and after a while a message appeared saying that it will now work after I reboot the computer, which I did, however nothing has changed. The drive is still not showing in 'My Computer' and it is still not functioning. I believe the fix you provided is for XP and not for Vista, isn't it? Does it matter?

I am thinking of buying one of those programmes, such as 'RegistrySmart' or 'RegistryCure' which purport to be able to resolve this problem and do a lot more to increase the efficiency of the PC, do you believe it's a good idea? Has anyone tried resolving this particular problem with one of those programmes?

I would like to thank 'NeedKarma' for his suggestion, it is much appreciated.

I take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year and may the year 2008 provide the things we need!

Cheers!

Christian
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 08:24 PM
    You can download ccleaner, it's freeware
    CCleaner - Home

This happened to me once before, don't know if this will work for you but it's worth a try

Disconnect All connections to your PC - power cord, speakers, USb devices, keyboard, mouse, anything connected to the PC.
    Now press the power button and hold in for 15 secs and release, now plug everything back in and start your PC

Jan 1, 2008, 01:05 PM
    you can download ccleaner, it's freeware
    CCleaner - Home

this happened to me once before, don't know if this will work for you but it's worth a try

Disconnect All connections to your PC - power cord, speakers, USb devices, keyboard, mouse, anything connected to the pc.
    Now press the power button and hold in for 15 secs and release, now plug everything back in and start your PC
    Thank you for the link, I have used it and have cleaned my computer (including fixing issues in the registry) however the problem is still the same. My ATAPI DVD drive is still not functioning, also the new external (Philips Lightscribe) drive - which I bought a few days ago - is not working. Until now I do not know the cause, I did not install or uninstall any CD or DVD softwares, it so happened that one day whilst I was putting on some music I found that it no longer works; and, whilst I was searching for the problem, I noticed the message (in Device Manager) with the Code 19. Although I do not know for certain, however, from what I have heard, I do believe there is an error in the registry, which has to do with upper or lower filters.

I would like to thank Seahwk83 for his assistance - I am truly grateful. If you know of any other way to resolve this problem, kindly let me know.

Cheers
    Christian
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 01:45 PM
    try these steps, seems to be realative to your situation, read through first

Methods to resolve the problem
    Method 1: Guided Help to delete the registry entries
    Note We recommend that you uninstall all CD recording or CD writing programs before you delete the registry entries. You can reinstall any programs that you use after you resolve this problem.
    Guided Help is available to delete the registry entries that can cause CD access problems. Guided Help can automatically perform the steps for you.

The actions that this Guided Help performs can be undone after Guided Help is finished. To undo this Guided Help, run Guided Help again. On the Welcome page, click Undo this Guided Help, and then follow the instructions.

For more information about Guided Help, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

915092 Description of Guided Help for Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
    Description of Guided Help for Microsoft Knowledge Base articles

Requirements to install and to use this Guided Help
    • You must be logged on to Windows by using a computer administrator account to install and to use this Guided Help.
    • You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this Guided Help.
    "You must first download Guided Help. To start, click the following link."

Download Guided Help
    You can no longer access the CD drive or the DVD drive, or you receive an error message after you remove a CD recording program or a DVD recording program in Windows XP: "error code 31")

Method 2: Manually delete the registry entries
    Important This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    256986 (Windows registry information for advanced users) Description of the Microsoft Windows registry
    Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.Log on to Windows by using an account that has administrator rights and permissions. Then, follow these steps.
    Step 1: Start Registry Editor
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
    Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
    1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
    Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
    1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
    8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer
    If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.
    Back to the top

Similar problems and solutions
    For more information about a similar problem, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    320553 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/) CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2
    For a Microsoft Windows 2000 version of this article, see 270008 (Cannot Access CD-ROM and "Code 31" Error Message in Device Manager After You Remove Adaptec Easy CD Creator from Your Computer.
    Back to the top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPLIES TO
    • Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    • Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Thanks seahwk83 , that's the text of the link I provided in my first response in this thread.

Jan 1, 2008, 02:24 PM
    try these steps, seems to be realative to your situation, read through first

Please note that it states the following:

• You must be running Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Media Center Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition to install and to use this Guided Help.

My computer is running with Vista Home Basic, does it matter? Can I still follow the instructions you have given to me? Do they apply to Vista? Please let me know.
    Thank you.

Christian

Jan 1, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Thanks seahwk83 , that's the text of the link I provided in my first response in this thread.
    I have just followed the instructions to get in the registry, and, I believe Vista Regsitry is very different to XP; I could only find 'Lowerfilters' after I have expanded 'Class' and I could not find 'Upperfilters' when clicking on this line: 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.

I wish I was using XP things would have been sorted already!

Please help.

Has anyone had the same problem with Vista?

Christian

Jan 1, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Calling all Computer Experts! Please help! - My Disk drive is not working at all.

I tried to play a CD and it didn't work - so I searched and there was no disk drive.

I have tried a system restore as far as I can go back, but it's still not working.

When I go into device manager - it shows up as ATAPI DVD A DH18A1P ATA Device but there is a yellow triangle next to it with an exclamation mark - like a hazard sign almost.

If I click on it, it says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

It gives me an option to check for solutions, which it does - but nothing comes up.

I have also tried right clicking on it and 'updatng driver software' but it says it's up to date.

I have also tried disabling it and re-enabling it, shutting down computer etc.

What else can I do?
    Ultra Member

Jan 1, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Searching evything, came up with same results with upper and lower filters
    Read below and check out info

Have you tried this?

The device that has the yellow triangle -Right click o nit and choose Delete and say OK
    Once the drive is deletedafnd no yellow triangles or any other errors appear click on "Apply or OK" at bottom and close ALL windows - now click shutdown and restart
    -Now when your PC restarts and finds no driver for the drive, it will install a windows generic driver that is suitable for this device. Now this works for Most devices on any windows machine, i.e... sound, modem display etc...
    Basically when a PC starts and cannot find an installed driver for a device it detects, it installs a generic driver for that device

Give this a go if you already have not tried this

Other things to consider, below

Re: Driver for Cd/DVD-RW drive not working permalink

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grimface_87 wrote:
    > My CD/DVD drive stopped working, and I got this error message in the
    > properties:
    >
    > Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
    > corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

This trick works for USB drivers, so it might also work for your
    Problem. Even if it doesn't help, at least it won't hurt:

Delete C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 which may be corrupt. The only trick
    Is that you must edit the file permissions to give Full Control to the
    Users group before you will be allowed to delete it.

Code 39
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
    Recommended resolution

Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Post bak
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 03:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chris215
    I have just followed the instructions to get in the registry, and, I believe Vista Regsitry is very different to XP; I could only find 'Lowerfilters' after I have expanded 'Class' and I could not find 'Upperfilters' when clicking on this line: 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318.

I wish I was using XP things would have been sorted already!!

Please help.

Has anyone had the same problem with Vista?

Christian
    Here are the info for Vista:
    The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected after you upgrade a computer to Windows Vista

Jan 2, 2008, 09:39 AM

I bought my computer about 8 months ago and it came with Vista on it; I have tried the instructions, to sort out the code 19 registry error, however, I cannot find upperfilters in the right pane when clicked on: '{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, I can only see lowerfilters, and I have to say that I am tempted to delete the value data of the lowerfilters, since I know it has worked for many people running XP. The reason I am reluctant is because mine is running Vista and it does not show upperfilters in the right pane when clicking on this: '{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} it only shows lowerfilters. I do not know what to do. If any of you using Vista has had a similar problem and had resolved it by deleting the value data in only the lowerfilters, please confirm the same so that I can proceed with it and get this thing sorted once and for all.

Thank you for your help up to now - you've been very kind.

Cheers

Christian.

PS Please note that I have uninstalled the device and have reinstalled it, but the system failed to install the driver software; the same thing happened with the new external drive (Philips Lightscribe - USB Connection) which I bought recently, it is also showing Code 19 error.

Jan 2, 2008, 12:48 PM
    I would like to thank Seahwk83 and NeedKarma for their kind support and assistance, I have finally taken the courage and have edited the registry and it now works! For all those people who are using Vista please note that there is only lowerfilters under this registry key {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, and to solve the problems with Code 39 and Code 19, all you have to do is delete the value data of the lowerfilters and then restart the computer. Thereafter double-click on Computer to check that the disk drive is there, also in Device Manager check that the yellow triangle with exclamation mark has gone.

I cannot believe how easy it is - with this particular problem - to edit the registry!

A big thank you to Seahwk83 and NeedKarma, and I hope this will help others to sort out this common problem.

Cheers!

Christian

Jan 6, 2008, 08:29 PM

Thank you very much, the problem is solved by deleting the value data in the lowerfilters!

Cheers!

Christian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Window vista home basic [ 1 Answers ]

Hello every body who you are responsible to answer my question. I have bought toshiba laptop since the last two monthes and I was enjoying in having doing with it. But uffortunatly, now it stops to operate properly ,at first it starts as if it were good (it accepts user acount and starts to...

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

Vista basic [ 1 Answers ]

Bought a laptop with windows vista basic and tried to install a usb mouse That's suppose to work with windows vista can not install it no matter what I do I've gone to Microsoft and downloaded the drivers and it still will not install I have also unstall norton and tried to install it nothing....

This is the basic need [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know that friendship is importment in life or not because I have no friends. Should I have a friend or not, if yes than how?:rolleyes:

View more questions Search