Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 30, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Black Holes
    Are Black Holes vortexes or something that take you somewhere else? I just wanted to know where do black holes take you. I know how they're made, (a really giant star collapsed on its on weight) but I wanted to know were they take you, when and who discovered. Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Nobody knows. If someone tried to find out they wouldn't be able to come back to tell us where they go.

Dec 30, 2007, 06:23 PM
    That was a fast answer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 06:31 PM
    They take you to the collasped star surface where the weight of the gravity would crush you.

Someone is watching way too much sci fi as to openings to somewhere else.

Dec 31, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Hahahaha lol

Dec 31, 2007, 03:36 PM
    What about Einstein? He needed black holes to prove his theory, because light bended and stuff where the black hole was
    belsammael Posts: 43, Reputation: 6

Mar 10, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Agreed on the other answers given, however it should be noted that Kerr's solution states:
    * The properties of space-time between the two event horizons allow objects to move only towards the singularity.
    * But the properties of space-time within the inner event horizon allow objects to move away from the singularity, pass through another set of inner and outer event horizons, and emerge out of the black hole into another universe or another part of this universe without traveling faster than the speed of light.
    * Passing through the ring shaped singularity may allow entry to a negative gravity universe.

However all of this is of course theoretical and unproven in any way, and even if proven would prove useless, since anything grasped by said black hole would be distorted and disrupted beyond restoration and usefulness.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 03:32 AM
    What use is an alternate universe if you're dead? ;)

Mar 24, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Thanks!
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 25, 2008, 03:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Nobody knows. If someone tried to find out they wouldn't be able to come back to tell us where they go.
    Hmmm : so "heaven" could well be a black hole... :)
    :rolleyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenwolf
    Are Black Holes vortexes or something that take you somewhere else? I just wanted to know where do black holes take you.
    The entrance to a black hole is some form of funnel with the rim being the "event horizon" after which the strength of gravity is so big that all incoming matter and light enters a one-way street inwards, circles faster and faster to the bottom in the center, the black hole itself, where the conditions are as already indicated by others.
    There is no reason - nor is there any theoretical support - for the assumption that a black hole provides passage to some other place (for instance by being connected to a "white hole"). Only the "Captain Kirks" under us normal human beings use black holes as shortcuts to other places.
    But than : Captain Kirk has "gone where no-one has gone before".
    If he or his shipmates ever got there, or ended up as black hole matter is not known, as nobody has "gone where Captain Kirk has gone before", and returned.
    I know how they're made, (a really giant star collapsed on its on weight) but I wanted to know were they take you, when and who discovered. Thanx
    That is just one way to make them. At Cern they expect to make (small) black holes also.
    But as small black holes tend to grow to big black holes, all our hope should be on Stephen Hawkins who predicted that ultra small black holes will evaporate. Let's hope he is right on that !
    tiamokiss Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Jun 10, 2008, 12:42 AM
    Are Black Holes vortexes or something that take you somewhere else? I just wanted to know where do black holes take you. I know how they're made, (a really giant star collapsed on its on weight) but I wanted to know were they take you, when and who discovered. Thanx
    Wow intresting I've always wanted to know more about black holes! I've seen that scary documentary on the Encyclopedia talking about how the wolrd is going to end by earth falling in oe of those black holes! Scary :\
    lalla1995 Posts: 36, Reputation: -1

Jun 10, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Many scientist were say that black hole take any object to the another side of the universe but in small particle.
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lalla1995
    Many scientist were say that black hole take any object to the another side of the universe but in small particle.
    Do you have a source for this?
    DuBas07 Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiamokiss
    wow intresting I've always wanted to know more about black holes !! I've seen that scary documentary on the Encyclopedia talkin about how the wolrd is goin to end by earth falling in oe of those black holes!! scary :\

Theoretically our entire universe will eventually be nothing but black holes. When that happens the black holes will start to swallow each other and make even bigger black holes, maybe leading to another big bang?!
    tiamokiss Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Jul 22, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Wow does anybody have a Video documentary for this?

Jul 23, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Do you have a source for this?
    "As they gobble up nearby matter, the black holes generate X-rays, as well as many other forms of light. Other black holes also spew out jets of particles, which a related research project has determined are made up of protons and electrons."

Discovery Channel :: News - Space :: Survey: Cosmos Packed With Black Holes
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DuBas07
    "As they gobble up nearby matter, the black holes generate X-rays, as well as many other forms of light. Other black holes also spew out jets of particles, which a related research project has determined are made up of protons and electrons."

Discovery Channel :: News - Space :: Survey: Cosmos Packed With Black Holes
    I was specifically curious about the "takes an object to the other side of the universe" part.

Jul 23, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    I was specifically curious about the "takes an object to the other side of the universe" part.
    I meant to address that... :p

Jul 24, 2008, 02:29 PM
    I thought the only thing that determined the size of a black hole is the amount of matter it consumes. It basically never ending, drawing everything in its gravitational field toward it. If it can consume our entire solar system it's a matter of time before it is consumed by another black whole or consumes a black hole. becoming massive. Not to mention that our galaxy is on a direct collision course with another galaxy possibly adding massive amounts of matter to our solar system. How far am I off?
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DuBas07
    I thought the only thing that determined the size of a black hole is the amount of matter it consumes. It basically never ending, drawing everything in its gravitational field toward it. If it can consume our entire solar system its a matter of time before it is consumed by another black whole or consumes a black hole., becoming massive. Not to mention that our galaxy is on a direct collision course with another galaxy possibly adding massive amounts of matter to our solar system. How far am I off?
    There's nothing special about black holes. If the Sun were to be replaced by a black hole of the same mass, we wouldn't notice any difference except for the lack of light! They don't suck things in, this is a common misconception - they act exactly like bodies of the same mass which are not black holes. - the gravitational field is not any stronger at the same distance. Anyway the sun is not massive enough to become a black hole - it will eventually shrink to a white dwarf.

Of course there are some black holes that are more massive than any other known object. These are often the super massive black holes found at the center of large galaxies - and seem to have some important role in the formation of the galaxy (or vice versa).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knockout holes [ 2 Answers ]

I've discovered that I have a plastic 2-gang switch box with a knockout that has been punched out but no wire coming through. Is there any remedy short of replacing the box and rewiring the switches?

Rust holes [ 1 Answers ]

Can you fix rust holes in frame near rear wheelwell on a 1994 honda civic ex

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

Drilling holes [ 2 Answers ]

I need to drill a4" vent hole for a water heater in side of my house to connect the venting. What is the best drill to use and any avice on problems imight run into?

View more questions Search