Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Why does the hubble site say this then??
    HubbleSite: Black Holes: Gravity's Relentless Pull interactive: Encyclopedia

Black holes grow in mass by capturing nearby material. Anything that enters the event horizon cannot escape the black hole's gravity. So objects that do not keep a safe distance get swallowed.

Despite their reputation, black holes will not actually suck in objects from large distances. A black hole can only capture objects that come very close to it. They're more like Venus' Flytraps than cosmic vacuum cleaners. For example, imagine replacing the Sun by a black hole of the same mass. Permanent darkness would fall on Earth, but the planets would continue to revolve around the black hole at the same distance and speed as they do now. None of the planets would be sucked into the black hole. Our Earth would be in danger only if it came within some 10 miles of the black hole, much less than the actual distance of Earth from the Sun (a comforting 93 million miles).

The diet of known black holes consists mostly of gas and dust, which fill the otherwise empty space throughout the Universe. Black holes can also consume material torn from nearby stars. In fact, the most massive black holes can swallow stars whole. Black holes can also grow by colliding and merging with other black holes. This growth process is what can reveal the presence of a black hole. As gas falls toward a black hole, it is heated to high temperatures, generating powerful radio waves and X-rays that can be studied by astronomers.

The following pages showcase the supermassive black holes in the centers of two distant galaxies that reveal their presence through their very powerful radio waves and X-rays:
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    Why does the hubble site say this then????
    HubbleSite: Black Holes: Gravity's Relentless Pull interactive: Encyclopedia

Black holes grow in mass by capturing nearby material. Anything that enters the event horizon cannot escape the black hole's gravity. So objects that do not keep a safe distance get swallowed.

Despite their reputation, black holes will not actually suck in objects from large distances. A black hole can only capture objects that come very close to it. They're more like Venus' Flytraps than cosmic vacuum cleaners. For example, imagine replacing the Sun by a black hole of the same mass. Permanent darkness would fall on Earth, but the planets would continue to revolve around the black hole at the same distance and speed as they do now. None of the planets would be sucked into the black hole. Our Earth would be in danger only if it came within some 10 miles of the black hole, much less than the actual distance of Earth from the Sun (a comforting 93 million miles).

The diet of known black holes consists mostly of gas and dust, which fill the otherwise empty space throughout the Universe. Black holes can also consume material torn from nearby stars. In fact, the most massive black holes can swallow stars whole. Black holes can also grow by colliding and merging with other black holes. This growth process is what can reveal the presence of a black hole. As gas falls toward a black hole, it is heated to high temperatures, generating powerful radio waves and X-rays that can be studied by astronomers.

The following pages showcase the supermassive black holes in the centers of two distant galaxies that reveal their presence through their very powerful radio waves and X-rays:
    That's precisely what I said.. (I didn't want to cover the event horizon - because it's so small and a little confusing - but I can do if you have any questions!)
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 03:41 PM
    I didn't see where you said that stuff that gets too close is swallowed up by the black holes

This is all I noticed you saying on that point
    They don't suck things in, this is a common misconception - they act exactly like bodies of the same mass which are not black holes. - the gravitational field is not any stronger at the same distance.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I didn't see where you said that stuff that gets too close is swallowed up by the black holes

This is all I noticed you saying on that point
    They don't suck things in, this is a common misconception - they act exactly like bodies of the same mass which are not black holes. - the gravitational field is not any stronger at the same distance.
    Well it's kind of like saying that things that get too close to the sun are swallowed up by it. It's called a collision. Just that the surface of a black hole is defined in a different way.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 04:03 PM
    I guess I would understand better if 'safe distance' was defined
    DuBas07 Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2008, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    There's nothing special about black holes. If the Sun were to be replaced by a black hole of the same mass, we wouldn't notice any difference except for the lack of light! They don't suck things in, this is a common misconception - they act exactly like bodies of the same mass which are not black holes. - the gravitational field is not any stronger at the same distance. Anyway the sun is not massive enough to become a black hole - it will eventually shrink to a white dwarf.
    Is this a recent development of the past year or so? :confused: I need to go reread some books, I seem to have misconstrued some information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knockout holes [ 2 Answers ]

I've discovered that I have a plastic 2-gang switch box with a knockout that has been punched out but no wire coming through. Is there any remedy short of replacing the box and rewiring the switches?

Rust holes [ 1 Answers ]

Can you fix rust holes in frame near rear wheelwell on a 1994 honda civic ex

Natural black hair that's dyed black, how can I lighten it? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi im new to this! Ive been dying my hair black for about 2 years. My hair is naturally very dark brown/almost black already. Id really like to color it a light brown. should i strip my hair color, then proceedto try a light brown? thanks so much for any kind of help!:o

Drilling holes [ 2 Answers ]

I need to drill a4" vent hole for a water heater in side of my house to connect the venting. What is the best drill to use and any avice on problems imight run into?

View more questions Search