Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antharixan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 05:47 PM
    PC will not boot up, makes beeping noises!
    Hi, I'm here because my OLD comp will not turn on.

It is a custom built PC with about 800Mhz processor (yeah it's old). The metal side panel fell off one day, and I noticed that my screen froze. OK no problem, I click restart. The comp makes it's usual starting noises, until the little power indicator light turns red and the computer beeps like BEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP. Then it is like it is running, but the screen is blank. I can click CAPS, and my keyboard indicates that CAPS LOCK is in use. Yet the screen is black. It seems to me that this is a problem with the ram but I don't know. Could something have burned out?

HELP ME !

p.s. I don't understand fancy tech terms so don't try them
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I understand. I have an old battleaxe too. Every time there is a problem with it, someone tries to get me upgraded. The old tower (Windows '98 and Office 2000) that I use can enlarge things that newer computers can't. It operates slowly, but that keeps me calm. Tech. talk, it's amazing that many techies are employable as English does not seem to be a language they can translate to.

Your screen is black. Borrow a friend's screen and test it on your computer. Using Uninstall and then re-installing hardware (like your keyboard) will ferret out where the problem is. But you need to be able to see the screen to do this. If you can't make a screen work, and you have checked all the plugs, etc. taking it in for service may be your only option. Have you replaced the side panel that fell off? It might be something as simple as a fan that has become disconnected or has burned out.

I hope there is a bi-lingual expert out there who can help you. My advise is skewed to no technical concepts at all. That is lacking in balance. I've kept my old tower running since 1998. It's great.
    l99057j Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Dec 30, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Those beeps you hear are the computer's POST codes. Those are tests that the computer runs during boot. If something goes wrong, there is no guarantee that your video is working so they use a series of beeps to tell you what is wrong.

You will have to look at your motherboard and try to find a model number so we can figure out who made the BIOS for it. Then we can use this page to try and determine what the beeps mean.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

Switches off, beeping [ 1 Answers ]

My computer has been doing this for a while now. Every day at least once a day it will turn itself off. The power button and keyboard remain lit but the machine stops functioning. When I then press the power button it beeps. I have to turn it off at the wall and wait a couple of hours before...

View more questions Search