Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanderlust18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2015, 06:00 PM
    Hi,
    I have connected white to white and black from the light fixture to the black and red to the other black. The switch is now working but when I turn the lights in the dinning room on it turns it the lights on top of the stove on as well. It has somehow connected to another room?! What can I do to make it all normal. Thanks for all the help.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 4, 2015, 06:36 PM
    Wanderlust18
    Please re-post and tell us what you are trying to do.
    I am guessing you are replacing a ceiling fixture. Describe the wires in the ceiling box. Describe like this "I have two 2-wire cables, black and white and one 3-wire cable, black white and red."

A wire is a single wire, a cable is two or more wires in an outer covering. We don't count the ground (bare or green). The ground is not a conductor. It is there for safety and is not part of the circuity.
    GuyInCO970 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2015, 01:26 PM
    Hi, my situation is similar to these, plus another one. I want to install a photo-cell to my outdoor light fixtures. The wires in the boxes and the wires on the fixtures are all the same; black and white. However, the photo cell also has a red wire in addition to the two white and black wires. How should I attach the photo cell to the fixtures? I did one with black to black and white to white, with the red wire just capped off... but I don't think the photo cell is working since my light remains on in daylight... so am wondering how to do it correctly so the lights go on only at dusk or during dark rainy days.

With another issue, I replaced a ceiling fan with a new one and thought I followed the instructions. However, the light on the fan works but when the fan chain is pulled to turn it on, all I get is a humming sound with no fan action. So, any ideas?

Thanks,
    Reid
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 17, 2015, 02:45 PM
    Hi, my situation is similar to these, plus another one
    Please start a new post. There are to many threads on this one and I don't know what situation you are referring to. Describe the wiring in each electrical box. Post the make and model of the photo cell you have.

On the ceiling fan, check to see if there are any rubber or foam wedges inserted between the fan housing and the fan rotor for shipping purposes. In other words, will the fan blades turn freely if you push them by hand?
    GuyInCO970 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2015, 08:15 PM
    Okay, thanks. I will post a new thread then. Yes, the fan blades turn freely with no power...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vanity: Four Lights and Wires to replace Two Light Fixture [ 3 Answers ]

We took out a two light vanity fixture that had two sets of black and white wires. The new fixture has four lights and four sets of black and white wires. Is there anything special we have to do to install it? Can we splice the wires somehow or do we have to add more wiring to the original...

Matching color-coded wires on a light fixture [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am installing a light fixture (I;m in the U.S.) and the box has a black and a white wire plus the ground wire, but my (European?) light fixture has blue, brown, and yellow-green. Can someone advise me on which wire should connect to the white and which to the black? Thank you for helping.

Changing ceiling light, there are 3 wires? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I'm replacing the light fixture on our bedroom ceiling. When I removed the old fixture I found a red wire from the house connected to the black leads on the old fixture, a white wire from the house connected to the white leads on the old fixture, and 2-3 black wires from the house all taped...

Blue, Black and White wires in celing fan [ 2 Answers ]

I removed a ceiling fan to replace a switch but did not note the wires. Now I want to replace the fan but find it has Blue, Black and White wires, whereas the wires coming from the ceiling are only White and Black. It also has a green wire attached to the casing. Does the blue and black wire...

View more questions Search