Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Dec 30, 2007, 09:48 AM
    Starting a Charity
    I would like to start a charity in my small town. What I would like to do is help poor children, and I have several ideas that I would like to accomplish. One is to offer a birthday package for kids 10 and under, with a few small presents and a gift certificate to eat at a local restaurant (a certificate for up to 4 people perhaps, so it's not just the child eating alone). Another thing I'd like to do is offer diapers and wipes for infants. I also want to help with back to school supplies and school clothes for kids of all ages. I'd like to do something specific for teens too, but I'm not sure what to do yet.

I've read through the rules for creating a non-profit on "wiki how", and I pretty much understand everything. What I was wondering is, does anyone here have any experience creating a charity, and can you offer some advice? It doesn't sound too hard, am I correct, is it fairly easy? Also, what can I expect to pay to start things up? Should I get a lawyer, and if so, would it be inappropriate to ask lawyers if they would help for free? How long does it typically take to get everything started as far as the paperwork and filing stuff goes?

Also, I need to think of a name, as that's a requirement on some of the forms I have to file. Any suggestions?
    hedgey06 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby
    I would like to start a charity in my small town. What I would like to do is help poor children, and I have several ideas that I would like to accomplish. One is to offer a birthday package for kids 10 and under, with a few small presents and a gift certificate to eat at a local restaurant (a certificate for up to 4 people perhaps, so it's not just the child eating alone). Another thing I'd like to do is offer diapers and wipes for infants. I also want to help with back to school supplies and school clothes for kids of all ages. I'd like to do something specific for teens too, but I'm not sure what to do yet.

I've read through the rules for creating a non-profit on "wiki how", and I pretty much understand everything. What I was wondering is, does anyone here have any experience creating a charity, and can you offer some advice? It doesn't sound too hard, am I correct, is it fairly easy? Also, what can I expect to pay to start things up? Should I get a lawyer, and if so, would it be inappropriate to ask lawyers if they would help for free? How long does it typically take to get everything started as far as the paperwork and filing stuff goes?

Also, I need to think of a name, as that's a requirement on some of the forms I have to file. Any suggestions?
    Hi passmeby,

Before you embark on establishing a charity, I'd personally advise you to undertake as much voluntary work as you're able to do in the geographical area/issue that you discuss above. This will give you a strong indication of:

a) how many charitable/voluntary organisations already exist, what they do and whether they already tackle some of the issues you're looking to tackle

b) the demographics of the area you're looking to establish the charity in - e.g. undertaking the voluntary work will enable you to research whether the community needs what you're suggesting

c) the local charitable sector and whether there are any support agencies available to advise/guide you through establishing such a project.

I'm coming at this from a UK angle, so apologies if my advice is a little generic. However, I've been a Community Development Worker for many years and this is the basic advice I'd offer to anybody who was thinking of establishing a charity.

Best of luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
    First with all disrespect to Wiki, it is not always fact, things posted on it are done by just people, some is true and some is not always true. So it is about the last place you go for real facts if you want to rely on it to do something

First the hard part is writing up the paper work that the IRS will accept.
    You will have to form a corporation, and have your constitution and bylaws in place. ** normally having an attorney who is an expert at non profits do all of the paper work is best,
    c51069 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2010, 02:55 PM
    My teenage son is a golfer and would like to start a charity to collect used golf clubs, balls, bags, and golf attire to give to those kids who would like to golf but never had the equipment to do so. Is this something he would have to make into a non-profit organization and file paperwork?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 13, 2010, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by c51069 View Post
    My teenage son is a golfer and would like to start a charity to collect used golf clubs, balls, bags, and golf attire to give to those kids who would like to golf but never had the equipment to do so. Is this something he would have to make into a non-profit organization and file paperwork?
    Only if he claims that he is running a charitable organization. If he doesn't establish an official 501(c)3, then he must not represent his cause as a not-for-profit charity. Donors to his cause will not allowed to deduct the equipment or cash as gifts to charity on their income tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to respond to a gift of charity? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I recently closed a business. An acquaintance, the parents of our daughter's friend, were very sad to see our store closed and gave us $300 in cash. We've seen them at various school events over the years and they've been occasional customers of ours, but we are not particularly close. ...

Donate Use of Home for Charity [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home that is currently vacant, and I was considering letting a charity manage the use of it for at least a year. Are there charities out there that will place people in need of housing into a home like mine?

Charity Deductions [ 3 Answers ]

So if someone has a AGI of $90,000 and contributed $72,000 in cash to a public charity. What is the deduction allowed to be used for AMAT purpose? By my calcualation it is $45,000. Am I correct? Thanks!

Charity name [ 4 Answers ]

Which charity can I write to get help with finance help for low paid family, need to buy furnitures and a holiday and help with getting central heating installed

Charity contribution [ 4 Answers ]

I have learn so much by reading post here. I gave charity contrybutin to my church every year. I would like to know how is it firgure(formula) How much is allowed each year. Does it affect how much I pay in taxes and what is the cutoff where it does not matter how much I gave. Thank,I...

View more questions Search