Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexmudaliar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 11:39 PM
    Documents required
    Sir,
    Will you be kind enough to please help me in finding out all the documents I require to get married in Portugal?

My fiancée if a Portuguese national and we are going to get married in Portugal.

I am completely lost as to what are the documents I will be required to produce in Portugal. We are going to start our paper work from Portugal.

Can you please also advise me how long before I should get all my documents ready to had it over to Portugal embassy.

Finally do I have to visit Portugal Consulate in Goa, with any of my documents?

Thanking you well in advance and hoping to receive reply from you on urgent basis.

Regard,
    Alex Mudaliar
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 12:52 AM
    Hi, Alex!

I don't know that it would be a requirement for you to visit and produce documents to the Potuguese Consulate in Goa. But, in order to cover all of the bases, it might be a good idea to do that in order to make sure that you have everything that you need to get married in Portugal.

Below, is some information that I found on the following site. http://marriage.about.com/od/interna...p/portugal.htm

Applying for a Marriage License in Portugal

If you've just set a date for your wedding, this can be an exciting time for the two of you! Don't let the marriage laws of the Portugal put a dent in your wedding plans.

Here's what you need to know and what documents to bring with you before you apply for a marriage license.

It is important that you realize that a wedding in Portugal is not something you can accomplish quickly. The Portugal Civil Registry Code has specific requirements you must meet in order to be married in Portugal.

Congratulations and much happiness as you begin your lifetime journey together.

Residence:

One of you must be in Portugal for a minimum of thirty (30) days before notice of your intended marriage can be given.

Legal Documents:

Visitors to Portugal must show their passports. U.S. citizens permanently residing in Portugal need to show their residence card.

You both need to provide a certified copy of your birth certificates. These certified copies must have been issued within the last six months. If your wedding is to take place in the Azores, the certified birth certificate must have been issued within the last three months.

You also need to provide a Certificate of "No Impediment". The authorities may also require a consular Certificate which is based on your registration at the Consular section.

If you want to be married in a Roman Catholic Church, you will need to provide your Baptismal certificates. After you have received approval to get married, your wedding must take place within three months.

Previous Marriages:

If you've been married before, you will need to provide a divorce decree or death certificate to prove that your previous marriages has been legally terminated. These documents must be certified and issued within the last six months, or if in the Azores, in the last three months.

Translation Note:

All documents must be translated into Portuguese and authenticated by a Portuguese notary public. The U.S. Embassy does not provide this service, but they can give you a list of translators.

Ceremony:

Both civil and church marriages are valid in Portugal. Civil marriages are performed and registered at Conservatoria do Registo Civil (Civil Registries). You need to use the one which services the area in which you reside.

License Certification:

Don't leave Portugal without having your Portuguese marriage documents certified at the Procuradoria Geral da Republica, Rua Escola Politecnica, No. 140, Lisboa.

Minimum Age:

The minimum age to get married in Portugal without parental consent is 18. Persons under the age of 16 may not be married.

Fees:

Vary. See the Registo Civil site. English Translation

Tests:

None.

Cousin Marriages:

Yes.

Common Law Marriages:

Couples cohabiting in an unregistered relationship for more than two years are recognized as having a common economy.

Same Sex Marriages:

No.

PLEASE NOTE:

Marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

It is important that you verify all information with the local marriage license office before making any wedding or travel plans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Documents [ 6 Answers ]

My ex- wife is trying to get a house but she wants me to sign a document stating that she will stop paying child support and will have custody of they kids... She said that she is only doing it to get in a house and also has a letter of intent for me to sign explaining why she is doing this with no...

Documents required to visit someone in jail? [ 2 Answers ]

Can Somebody That Don't Have Legal Documents Can Go And Visit Somebody In Jail?? Plzzzzz Help Meeeeeeee Withat Before Is Too Late

My Documents is slow [ 8 Answers ]

Well I'm back with another problem with my old win98 Pentium II... I have a huge amount of documents, files, graphics, etc, located in separate folders in My Documents. Right now I'm sorting through these files and deleting anything I don't need anymore, moving things to different folders, etc....

View more questions Search