Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    varvo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Residue from duct tape on ceramic tile
    We used some duct tape to hold the tiles in place on a vertical surface, now we need to clean the residue without scratching the glazed surface.

I tried using acetone nail polish remover, but it dries too rapidly. Any suggestions?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:42 PM
    https://www.abanet.org/soloseznet/th.../ducttape.html

The above link seems to have a lot of suggestions, but try to test first on scrap piece if you can.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:52 PM
    It's true that acetone will dry too quickly.

A rag soaked with hot water and dish soap while using a single-edged razor blade will work in a short amount of time. Depending on how large an area that you need to clean, and if the residue might be within textured portions of the tiles if they are textured then you may need to use chemicals. If you need to use chemicals, then I would suggest Goof-off or Oops! Both or one or the other should be available at most paint and hardware stores. Another thing to use would be lacquer thinner.

I would try to avoid using any chemicals just for health reasons, though. The rag soaked with hot water and dish soap while using a single-edged razor blade should work just fine if the tiles are perfectly smooth.

Please be sure to read the instructions on the labels, use rubber gloves, where goggles if doing a large area and have adequate ventilation, if you plan to use any chemicals.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Try some liquid cooking oil, perfectly safe, won't dry up, and has a strong cutting action. You can even wipe it on and come back in a while after it has softened stuff up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceramic tile baseboards [ 1 Answers ]

How does one get rid of these to replace with wood without tearing off the plaster behind?

Drilling into Ceramic Tile [ 11 Answers ]

How does one drill into ceramic tile without cracking the tile?

Replacing Ceramic Tile [ 1 Answers ]

I had someone put in a ceramic tile floor for me and did a terrible job (home improvement contractor scammed me). I now have to take it up and redo it. However, I don't want to have to take up the cement backerboard. I was thinking of using an embossing leveler over the cement backboard already...

Removing Ceramic Tile [ 4 Answers ]

I need to remove a Ceramic tile floor that is in thin set Mortar. The problem is that the tile has a clay type bottom and the tile Is coming up in very small pieces. Any thoughts? I am thinking about Purchasing a demolition hammer. Not sure if that would help. Thanks For any replies

Ceramic Tile as baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I had some of my rooms tiled by a pro and he took off my wood baseboards and made baseboards from the tile. I am now trying to tile another room on my own. Does anyone know how to make the baseboards ? Do I baseboard 1st or floor tile 1st ? As specific as possible would be great! Thanks

View more questions Search