Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Here are "recipes" from Wikipedia --

Shirley Temple cocktail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:01 PM
    There is more than one recipe for this particular drink. There may be even more than those that I have listed below that people will provide. Some of the recipes might contain alcohol.

The Shirley Temple Cocktail

Glass filled with ice cubes
    Almost fill with ginger ale
    1/2 oz. grenadine
    A cherry

What is quoted below is from What is a Shirley Temple?

A Shirley Temple is a sweet, non-alcoholic drink named after the child actress Shirley Temple. The drink was invented for Shirley by a bartender in Beverly Hills, CA. The bartender worked at Chasen's restaurant, a place Shirley Temple often frequented as a child. Since she clearly could not drink alcohol, Chasen's sought a drink that would appeal to Shirley's young palate, and the Shirley Temple was born.

It's very unusual to see a traditional Shirley Temple today. The original recipe called for two parts ginger ale, one part orange juice and about a teaspoon to tablespoon of grenadine. It was usually garnished with a cherry and possibly an orange slice. While the cherry remains, and is many children's favorite part about the Shirley Temple, most modern versions of the drink don't include orange juice.

The ginger ale in the modern Shirley Temple is usually substituted with lemon-lime soda. These include sodas like Sprite or 7-Up, but usually not Mountain Dew since it is high in caffeine. Sometimes the Shirley Temple is made with Squirt, which has notes of grapefruit flavor in it.

The goal of the Shirley Temple is to contrast the sparkle and acid of the soda base with the sweet grenadine. Too much grenadine makes the drink painfully sweet, so a minimal amount should be added. Grenadine really functions as color, as opposed to flavor. A related drink is the Roy Rogers cocktail, made from cola and grenadine — essentially a cherry coke.

Due to the popularity of Shirley Temple the actress, the drink created for her caught on, and children dining out with their parents were apt to order a Shirley Temple. Today children may order one without understanding the reference. A few companies attempted to bottle the Shirley Temple, leading to the first soft drink that actually contained a cherry. These bottled attempts gradually lost popularity, but you can still find cherry 7-Up, representing the modern Shirley Temple.

Unlike many mixed drinks that are created for adults and modified for children, the Shirley Temple underwent a reverse process. People wanted to make the drink alcoholic, and tried by adding various alcohols to the drink. A Shirley Temple Black mixes 7-up, Kahlua and grenadine. A Dirty Shirley, also called a Shirley Vomit, is a combination of lemon-lime soda, vodka and grenadine.
    Here is some additional history behind the drink from ABC Bartending School: Shirley Temple

The drink was invented by a bartender at Chasen's restaurant in Beverly Hills, CA. It was named for the famous child actress Shirley Temple, who often visited the restaurant. She was too young to drink alcoholic cocktails like the adult movie stars, when she attended parties or visited with them.

When Temple herself is asked for her opinion of these drinks named for her, she invariably replies that she dislikes them because they are too sweet, and that she does not gain earnings for the use of her name. Later, the popular beverage became available bottled in supermarkets as the first soft drink to include a cherry.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:18 PM
    The original Shirley Temple was 7up,squirt,grenadine,orange slice and cherry

Barbara Adams: Shirley Temple Drink, Recipe Collections, Quick and Easy Recipes, Learn to Cook, Food, Recipes

There are alcaholic variations of the drink and with each bartender mixes vary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What move should I make? Or should I even make one? [ 9 Answers ]

I am a high school student. I play on our girl's varsity basketball team, and I have a bit of an interest/crush on a guy from the guy's team. Our practice and game times are normally in tandem. I see him there and occaisonally in school. Recently, I admitted my interest to a friend, and she said,...

Numbness and tingling feeling near temple [ 2 Answers ]

I get an off and on feeling of numbness and tingling in my temple and above my left ear. It gets worse if I sleep on my side at night or put a phone up to the side of my head or when I exercise doing stomach crunches. I have had an mri and it showed no abnormalities. Any ideas what could be...

Colossal Mortuary Temple Statue of King Tut (Thebes) [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know a few things about King Tut. I mean I've read many things about him it's just that... well... What would be something in the environment that performs a similar function as King Tut? And how does it compare and contrast to King Tut? *It can be a statue, building,...

If Under Law why not Rebuild the temple? [ 9 Answers ]

Why do those who say they are under the Mosaic Law not follow all the stipulations like animal sacrifices given at alters, and all the other instructions given in Deteronomy and Exodus? Actually, the rebuilding of the temple would not be enough. Those rebuilding it would also have to begin...

View more questions Search