Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starlight_Dreamer Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Dec 29, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Discriminated against at work based on gender?
    This is pretty long so I want to thank anyone who reads it or responds.

This is something that has been bugging me for some time. I am a male. I work for a nonprofit agency assisting clients in learning skills for independent living.

While working at this company I have been asked if I had problems with gay people by a supervisor who was bisexual.

I was falsely accused of sexual harassment by a coworker who had previously been fired from the company due to assault. She was not elligible for rehire, but after a number of years, she gained a lot of weight, died her hair, and changed her last name through marriage. The accusation was part of her plans to bring charges against the company, and I was a pawn. I had to go through the steps of an investigation and file my statements against the accusations. Prior to her accusations, I did report to management that she was spreading untrue rumors about me to other coworkers, yet I was forced to work with her, or show up when she was present with no other staff around.

Also, other female coworkers in the past have admitted to talking about sex in front of me because they knew such conversations make me uncomfortable. I stated numerous times that I didn't want to hear it, citing sexual harassment as an issue, and they just laughed at me saying that men talk about sex all the time so they could too.

Recently, I was not promoted and guess who was given the position over me? Despite the fact that I have a higher degree and have worked with the individuals longer, a woman was hired with the reason that she had been with the company longer.

There are currently no males in management at the company.

Some of the women supervisors have been saying that they want to make the place look more girlish instead of like a bachelor's pad. They also sent a female staff member out to do some shopping to get the woman's touch on the purchases despite me being in charge of the area where the purchases were for.

Today, I was told that I must complete a list of cleaning chores this weekend. No other staff has ever been assigned such a directive. The work did need to be done, but will not be inspected until Friday, so there was no need to demand it in two days. The work also was not in any way done to help the clients learn because they would not participate. The note clearly states" "YOU" MUST do this on Saturday and Sunday.

Unlike the shopping, I was assigned the tasks because it was an area that I was responsible for?? Seems like it is only when it suits their purposes?

I had two female supervisors come to check on my progress during the day. I have never had that happen before either, so I know something is going on. Especially since they both came at different times on a weekend! In three years, I have not seen a supervisor show up on a weekend.

I did voice my opinion to both of them that I thought the expectation was unreasonable. Cleaning crews would have charged more than I got paid. I felt that I was being used to do something that was not in my job duties since no other staff has ever been assigned such a load in that time frame. The supervisor came back with saying that she had... Of course she had no written orders to do it, and if she did do it, it was not ordered in that way.

I believe that one of those women want my job. I think they are trying to do things so I will quit or be moved to another location. I have also heard them start talking to one of the women clients that she might feel more comfortable if another woman helped her instead of a man.

Other incidents include female workers making comments about how cute some of the men are and then hushing each other up after I have already heard part of the conversation.

Am I experiencing sexual discrimination or harassment in the workplace? What steps can I take to prove my suspicions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Document, document and document, keep names, dates, places and times. Wounds like a EEOC needs to get involved.

Dec 29, 2007, 09:27 PM
    I wonder if I need to talk to higher ups at company first or if that will only cause me more problems. They are all women.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Lose-lose situation. Not only will you look like you're the lone dissenter, without some compelling evidence, and I do mean compelling, chances are the very ones you seek to complain about will only double their efforts against you. You are already an outcast. Not saying do nothing, just you seem out numbered, and under manned. Who do you think they move out in this? Right the lone dissenter. Do you have compelling evidence, and corroboration? Or better some one on your side?

Dec 29, 2007, 10:56 PM
    Only past workers would back me up. No one currently employed there. Lots of turnover.
    Only evidence is the history I already listed.

Short of quitting, what can I do to protect myself for about 6 months or so?
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Do your job and don't make waves. Sorry, but now you know why the turnover is so high. Be looking for something better.

Dec 29, 2007, 11:04 PM
    Thank you. I will do that if I haven't already made too many waves by voicing my opinion that I thought I was being used and that the expectation was unreasonable. I guess if I am questioned, I will use the evidence that it did not need to be done in two days when the inspection is a week away.
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
    CYOA, Cover Your Own Azz!

Dec 30, 2007, 01:48 AM
    I will try. I thought of another related situation. I am not allowed to bring my child to work with me, but some of the women do so regularly. Certainly seems like a double standard.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 03:07 AM
    It definitely sounds like you have a case for sexual harassment and/or sex discrimination. Start keeping a log of what's said, when and to whom. Especially the parts like "men talk about sex all the time so they could too", after you've voiced your objections, and telling female clients that "she might feel more comfortable if another woman helped her instead of a man." The more allegations you can substantiate, the stronger your case will be.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Hello Dreamer:

I agree with cianci. I think you have a case too. I'd visit an attorney. He'll tell you if you have a case.

excon

PS> I HATE talking about sex in the workplace with a bunch of women... Nahhh, I'm lyin.
    smandy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 01:43 PM
    It sounds like you have a prima/facie case which means that the law against discrimination may have been violated. In cases like this, it would be very helpful to present your case to a law enforcement agency, such as EEOC or another state agency which enforces the law against discrimination. If you can, tape record any conversation with respect to your complaint. Although tape recording a conversation may not be admitted in court, the taped conversation may be a supprting evidence to your complaint. Be careful of retaliation which is also against the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home based Data entry work [ 4 Answers ]

Warm Greetings, I would like to know if any body here knows regarding online job sites. Please recommend any, if you know, moreover it should not be scam site or demanding fees. Regards

Work in NY, company is CA based, which state should file [ 1 Answers ]

Both me and my husband work at NY city and live in NJ, but his company is CA based and the company has NY local office. The W2 company provided has CA tax addressed & deducted, my question is what state should we file if filing married jointly? NY non resident NJ resident, Or should we file CA...

L2 based EAD to work as 1099Misc legal? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please let me know whether it is legal for anyone with L2 based EAD to work as a independent contractor and get paid in 1099 MISC instead of in W2?

Have I been discriminated against? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. I am a fair person. I am african american plus some other things but on my appearance I am either black or hispanic. My husband is in the same boat. My mother in law is white and my father is black/white as well so I have no reason to make this up. I went to a restaurant that...

View more questions Search