Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Highschoolgirl Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 07:46 PM
    1 Precalculus Optimization Q and 1 Geometric Sequence Q
    I have tried both of these, but cannot seem to get answers. I get at least one negative dimension for the first geometric sequence problem, which would be impossible and render the question having no solution. However, I am pretty sure there is indeed a required solution. For the next question I simply do not know how to draw the correct diagram and how to derive any equations from it to optimize so I am pretty much lost. Help is very much appreciated.

1. The volume of a certain rectangular solid is 64 cubic centimeters and its total surface area is 384 square centimeters. Its three dimensions are in geometric progression. What is the sum of the lengths of all the edges of this solid?

2. Town A is 16 miles from a straight river and Town B is 7 miles from the same river. The distance from Town A to Town B is 15 miles. A pumping station is to be built along the river to supply water to both towns. Where should the pumping station be built so that the sum of the distances from the pumping station to the towns is a minimum? Include a diagram and answer to the nearest hundredth. Assume Town A is west of Town B.
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 06:53 AM
    2. Town A is 16 miles from a straight river and Town B is 7 miles from the same river. The distance from Town A to Town B is 15 miles. A pumping station is to be built along the river to supply water to both towns. Where should the pumping station be built so that the sum of the distances from the pumping station to the towns is a minimum? Include a diagram and answer to the nearest hundredth. Assume Town A is west of Town B.

The point we must find is at point P on the diagram.

The distance along the shore between the towns is 12 miles. Because

We must find the length of x by using Pythagoras.

The sum of the distances is given by:

This is what must be minimized. Can you continue?
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 08:13 AM
    1. The volume of a certain rectangular solid is 64 cubic centimeters and its total surface area is 384 square centimeters. Its three dimensions are in geometric progression. What is the sum of the lengths of all the edges of this solid?
    Each term of a geometric progession is given by

Let's allow one side to be

Then side y will be

And side z will be

The volume is

The surface area is:

Solve for and r. Then, since , you can find y and z.

Dec 30, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Thanks for your help so far. For the optimization problem, after you get the equation to be optimized, you just graph it and get 8.35 as the minimum for x. But for the other question, I get 8a^2-332a+128 as the equation for a1. However, this leads to 2 irrational answers for a1. Am I doing something wrong here?
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
    For #2, the solutions I got were not nice integers, either. Looks like you're on the right track.

Dec 30, 2007, 09:28 PM
    K I got 192 as the answer for #2. That was quite a long question if you figure everything out in radical form, probably took me 10 minutes to solve for all of the sides from the equation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Precalculus word [ 1 Answers ]

the middle of the tank is a cylinder whose length is 10 feet and there is a hemisphere attached to each end. Determine the radius x so that the volume of the tank is 27 pi ft^3 how is this solved??

Precalculus optimization [ 1 Answers ]

A container manufacturing company has been contracted to design and manufacture cylindrical cans for juice. The volume of each can is to be 0.170 liters. In order to minimize production costs, the company wishes to design a can that requires the smallest amount of material possible. What should...

Geometric rv [ 1 Answers ]

a matching problem. 4 cards marked 1,2,3,4 are allocated at random to four positions also marked 1,2,3,4. a match occurs if a card and position number are identical. Let X be the number of matches. Calculate 1. E(X) 2. P(X greater than or equaL to one)

Precalculus - optimization [ 1 Answers ]

A cylindrical container costs $2.00 per square foot for the sides and $3.00 a square foot for the top and bottom. The container must hold 100 cubic feet of material. What are the dimensions of the most economical container.

View more questions Search