Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericstewart Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 07:57 PM
    Bathroom subfloor
    Hello, I had to replace the subfloor in my bathroom around the toilet not the whole thing just a cut out piece. Do I have to fill the gaps between my butted up pieces? If so with what? Secondly I also have to lay a partial piece of 3/4 on top of my base do I need to lay anything down on top of the base before laying my 3/4 osb. I plan to top all of this off with a 1/4 piece of luan and then use filler before laying my sticky back tile.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 08:32 PM
    Don't fill the gaps, they are needed for expansion. Might skip the luan too, if you go with plywood instead. Big discussion on that recently, forget where. No real conclusion. The sticky tile may be a little more touchy than vinyl. Could be a good argument for luan. Just make sure everything is screwed or stapled down good and smooth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another Bathroom is needed... The boys are fighting to use the bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

First, thank you for having this kind of forum. Now also let me say that I'm not well versed in the plumbing lingo so hopefully you will be patient with my questions. I live in a 3 levels home (Basement, Main, Upstairs) with the existing bathroom is on the main floor. I'm planing to add...

Soggy subfloor and discolored linoleum near shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass bottom shower with marble sheets for walls and a glass sliding doors. I have noticed the linoleum is disclored and soggy underneath but only in the corners near the front of the shower were you step in. I have recaulked the whole shower with a good silicone and also in the...

Subfloor over concrete under shower base? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am wondering if it is a good idea to put a subflloor over the basement concrete under the shower base or if I should just use mortar or even PL200 glue.

Install bathroom plumbing undisturbed subfloor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm converting an upstairs bedroom into a bathroom. There is an existing hardwood floor which I'd like to keep for the bathroom. Can I install the drains for the toilet and tub from under the bathroom floor without tearing up any of the hardwood floor and just cutting the floor at the drain...

Bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I have two bathrooms in my home, one has a shower and the other bathtub. The shower has been stopped up for a long time now... the water was going out slowly now it doesn't go out at all... recently the tub in the other bathroom has stopped up same thing... the water was going out slowly, and now...

View more questions Search