Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    secboxman518 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2005, 06:11 PM
    Customer Wants refund
    I have a Legal Question, here goes

I have a small company that I run in my spare time, Computer work.

But anyway, I have sold a complete system to a customer and after a week he wants his money back, a typical non written rule 3-day money back, but that is not written anywhere, in the event of the sale I've supplied the customer with a warranty of 15 days for hardware defectivness, and an invoice, on none of the papers I have supplied him with does it state refunds given nor not given.

I've tried reasoning with the customer, but the customer just wants his money back, and he is being rather inpudent upon the matter.

I live in NC if that matters

Any advice is welcome, and thanks.

Secboxman518
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 06:30 PM
    All sales are final.

Exception is when the firm doing the seller offers a refund policy.

Sears offers a 30day refund policy. Meaning that you may return your product within 30 days and get your money back. If Sears didn't offer said policy, they don't have to give you your money back.

Since you have not offered a refund policy, only a warranty, you don't legally have to give him his money back.

However, keep in mind, he might try and sue you, and claim that you did promise a refund policy to him verbally. Make sure you are recording everything right now, keep all your files in order.

Dec 28, 2005, 06:46 PM
    OK
    Even though I have no where stated that there is a refund, it should be all sales are final,

I as well do not have that specifically stated either "all sales are final"?

Thanks
    Secboxman
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 06:52 PM
    Yeah, the law is that all sales are final. So without any signs posted, then it is all sales are final.

However, if he were to lie to a judge, and tell the judge you said there was a 3 day return policy or whatever, and the judge believes him, then the judgment will be against you.

Dec 28, 2005, 06:54 PM
    But it has past the three day period.
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 07:35 PM
    Yes. But if he tried to get his money back within the first 3 days, that's all that matters. Since he tried.

Dec 28, 2005, 08:52 PM
    OK then, since being he didn't and that I have proof that he didn't I am pretty safe to say, sorry for the inconvience, but I can no longer assist you in this matter, and if you wish to persist, I'll see you in court?

Be reminded that this is In North Carolina, same "law" applies?

Thanks
    Secboxman

Dec 28, 2005, 08:54 PM
    I would have glady refunded the guys money, but he just simply wouldn't cooperate at all. I have no problem with giving people their money back if they are not satisfied, but when you do it in an unruley manner.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 06:32 AM
    Hello sec:

I'm not familiar with N.C.

However, in general, the three day right of recision would not apply in your case. Only sales that occur in a customers home qualify. THOSE sales are, in the main, high pressure, and lot's of people feel buyers remorse just as soon as the salesman leaves the house. Indeed, many of those sales happen to the elderly and vulnerable amongst us, so the law give them an escape clause, but only for three days.

Other than those sales, you may dictate the terms of your sale. You get into trouble when you don't have a sales contract that spells out the details. I recommend you put something together.

From a legal perspective, if he wasn't cheated, he isn't entitled to his money back. That doesn't mean that he might not win it back in court if he doesn't tell the truth or you can't prove your side. On the other hand, for public relation purposes, you could just give him his money back. If you're a small businessman, your reputation is all you've got. If it were me, I would guard it with my life.

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Customer wants a refund!
    If you are not SEARS and wish to do business then you should consider that a happy customer is one who will come back to you! It may be in your best interest to take care of your customers as they may take care of you~! :cool:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Word of mouth
    OK, I don't know the size and type of exact business you do.

But one very bad vocal customer can cost you 1000's in lost sales. Good happy customers can get you more and more business.

My wife does not even advertize her music business any longer, word of mouth from happy customers gets how more business that she wants, she actually turns business down. But unhappy customers like this can cost you a lot also.

First you need to on large sales follow up after the sale, (re-sale) your product. Most liekly this is buyers remorse, happens on every sale, you need to re-sale this idea of why they need the product.

What is your loss if you take this back ?

Is something not working right ?

Now you are not required to give refunds, but honestly if you don't the word will get around. So what do your competitors do? If you get several customers like this, will you stay in business.

YOu need to find out why he does not want it any more and see if there is a problem you don't know about.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 6, 2006, 09:00 AM
    What ever happened to the customer is always right?:cool:
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Customer refund
    Rule 1. Customer is always right.
    Rule 2. Customer is wrong.
    Rule 3. Re-read rule 1.

No matter how much abuse a customer gives, remember, a happy customer tell a friend, who, tells a friends.
    Customer relation is very important, a pissed off customer will tell everyone his side only.

Just a thought;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding customer [ 7 Answers ]

I have been learning and building an ms access database. There version is 2002. I have all my tables built and the forms built. I wanted to be able to add a customer so that it would get included in a drop down box. I can add it the problem is I have to close the form and reopen it so I can see it...

Customer Survey [ 4 Answers ]

How much would you expect to pay for a PC health check?? Basically anti spyware, antivirus scans, defrag and general performace boosting stuff, done by a professional.

Customer Event [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there Want to organise a customer event for top customers and their wives. Should be a lovely evening and I do want to put it under the moto: a different perspective for a bigger picture. Any idea what could be a special event around that? Was thinking of maybe going to an observatory and...

Customer Service Stories [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for great customer service stories for a talk I am designing on the subject, and possibly an article as well. Anyone have a story they'd like to share?

Customer services [ 1 Answers ]

What is the importance of customer services in banks?

View more questions Search