Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfpack95 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Squealing dryer
    Sorry. Meant for this post to go here:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/applia...r-20960-4.html

Mods, feel free to delete this topic.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

Glad I found this place and thanks for all the replies.

I have a 10 year old White Westinghouse that was making the same high-pitched squeal about 30 minutes into the drying cycle. I lubed the rear bearing with WD-40 and the squeal ceased for about a week but I had to reapply because the squeal started again.

Can anyone recommend a good, long lasting lube (probably a grease) that they've had success with? My WD-40 can has a straw which is nice because I can lubed without moving the dryer however it looks like its drying out too fast. I would guess an automobile grease would be long lasting and resistant to the high temps.

BTW, I believe White Westinghouse/Electrolux/Frigidaire at some point were all the same company as my mom worked there for many years and the plant name changed among these three during her employment. In other words, the designs may be very similar so try one of the cheap suggestions (even if your brand isn't the same) before buying any parts.
    wayne0418 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Dec 29, 2007, 09:15 AM
    You may need to by a new rear bearing. As they wear out they take on an oblong shape. Does the drier barel woble.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Agree with previous post (Wayne0418) you need new rear bearing -- 10 yrs old

On the lube problem WD-40 is a very good for non moving parts - heat chases oil away

A lithium grease is better -- I like synthetic oil and use it in place of 3-in-1 oil

Synthetic oil is drawn to the heat and protects surfaces
    wolfpack95 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 11:06 AM
    I haven't noticed the barrel wobbling... would it make a much louder noise or create a noticeably gap when viewed from the inside the dryer door? I took the cover off last weekend and rolled the barrell with my hand but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other than the high pitched squeal/squeak. I am learning as I go however so maybe I wasn't looking close enough.

Will any major damage be done if/when the rear bearing goes? I'm trying to decide if I should buy the rear bearing kit ($20-25) and just hang on to it for now since I'm not hearing anything else nor having any other issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squealing Maytag Dryer [ 5 Answers ]

Our Electric Maytag dryer is about 12 years old. Model #LDE7304ACE Here is a run down of what happened. The dryer made a thunking noise every time it started and slowed down, but it ran fine and dried fine. Diagnosis on other sites said blower wheel needed replacing. Bought blower wheel and...

Dryer squealing AND heating way to hot then no heat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Frigidaire Gallery electric dryer about 6-7 yrs old. Model number FDE437GHS0. About a year ago it started squealing for a few minutes then stop then became constant. We did research, found this wonderful sight and took it apart. The felt pads and plastic at top of drum looked...

Maytag dryer squealing [ 2 Answers ]

My Maytag dryer squeals when it first starts to run then quiets down somewhat for the rest of the load. Otherwise it works fine.

Gibson dryer squealing/squeaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gibson dryer that recently has started to squeak/squeal when it first starts drying a load of laundry. As the load gets dry the noise gradually gets less. Could this be a belt issue and is this an easy fix? Thanks for any info in advance:confused:

View more questions Search