Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GIBBAR Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Fathers Rights to unborn child.
    My delima.
    My girlfriend is pregnant with my child she says. I don't know if it is mine or not. But my concerne is her Drug abuse. She is sneaking around(and not very well I might add) doing drugs she tells me she isn't but I know she is. First of all is there anyway I can legally do anything to stop her since she says it is mine. Secondlly I know there are risks involved with doing prenatal DNA tests but will the risks of having an drug addicted, deformed or handicapped baby outwiegh the risk of the test.
    When does fathers rights begin?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 02:37 PM
    Unfortunately your rights will not come into play until the child is born. You may want to discuss her drug use with her OB doctor, depending on what her drug of choice is.

There are risks associated with the amniocentesis, however, the majority of doctors will NOT perform an amnio just for paternity even with the mother addicted to drugs. You see, when they go to do the amnio for paternity, they have to get blood from the baby, that means taking blood from the umbilical cord, this can be very dangerous and is rarely performed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Sorry but you have no rights till the child is born. You may report her to children and family services about her drug use, but there is little they can do also. Or turn her into the police, perhaps being arrested may scare her out of it.
    GIBBAR Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Oh well I appreciate the answers anyway.
    J 9 I've just about killed that damn bunny

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody Rights to Unborn Child [ 9 Answers ]

Do I automatically have custody rights to my unborn child since I am not married and paternity has not been established? Does the alleged father have legal rights to force prenatal paternity testing? Does agreeing to paternity testing automatically give him custody rights if it is determined that...

Fathers rights of unborn baby [ 4 Answers ]

My brothers girlfriend found out she was pregnant a couple of months ago. A week after they told me, his girlfriend told me there is a chance the baby might not be his. My brother was not mad because he said they both were seeing other people.But they decided to be together so they can raise the...

Unborn baby's fathers rights [ 10 Answers ]

Sorry about the previous post. Accidentally hit enter. Anyway, my daughter (adult) is pregnant. The father had violent outbursts, and she sent him away. He has moved 3 hours away, but continues to harrass her via text pages. She does not want him around the baby. Does he have any rights if...

Rights to unborn child [ 2 Answers ]

If a child is born and it is proved to be mine, can I file for custody of the child now or do I have to wait?:confused:

View more questions Search