Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fostertina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 10:54 AM
    When paying the building lease in adavance of the current month.
    I'd like to pre-pay the building lease and don't want the expense to be doubled on my income statement for the current month since I've already paid the rent for this month. I believe that I need to set up a pre-paid GL account on the balance sheet. I don't have any pre-paid accounts on my chart of accounts currently and am not positive if it should be a liability account or an asset account. I think it's an asset account however and the entry would be a credit to cash and a debit to pre-paid rents, correct? Thanks for your help.
    janiml Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 04:42 PM
    A prepaid account is a current asset. You are correct, you would debit the prepaid account and credit cash. Don't forget to reverse the entry on the first of the following month.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 04:11 AM
    You would...

Debit Prepaid Rent (a current asset account)
    Credit Cash (a current asset account)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Termination of month-to-month lease FLORIDA [ 2 Answers ]

I need to terminate a month-to-month lease in Florida. I know I have to provide a 30 written notice. My questions are as follows. Do I have to give the 30 day notice to the tenant prior to the beginning of the new month's term? Do I have to state the date the premises must be vacated by?...

Breaking a month to month lease that was signed 2 days ago. [ 1 Answers ]

Would I Be Able To Collect Back Money Paid To A Lessor For Security Deposit And 1st Months Rent If Apartment Is Not In A Sanitary And Safe Condition And the Lease Was Signed 2 Days Ago And Never Moved Into The Apartment And The Lease Is Month To Month

Landlord Requireing 60 day notice to vacate on Month to Month Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I've lived in this apartment for 4 years. For the past year we have been going month to month, as we anticipated we might need to move out when we purchased a condo. Well, we got the condo, and now need to close in 1 month, yet the management in our apartment complex tells us we need to give...

Paying for utilities for entire building? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a four-plex apartment building in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. In addition to the rent that my wife and I pay, we also pay for the electricity. Attached to the back of our building is a small room that holds a washer and dryer that everyone in the building uses (approx. eight people)....

View more questions Search