Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janiml Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Accounting for Finance Charges
    Where would you post a finance charge? Would you post it the expense account which you are using to pay the bill? For instance, you are paying a food bill late and they assess a fee, would you charge the fee to food? Or to Bank Fees? Or something else?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 05:07 PM
    It is an Expense.

Post it to the appropriate Expense Account. If none you can post this to a Misc Expense Account.

You will need to look at the Chart of Accounts for your company to figure out what Expense to Debit. The Credit will be to Cash.
    janiml Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Sorry, that does not help me. Would you debit the food expense in my example or bank fees expense? I know it is an expense. My question is what do you think is appropriate?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 05:36 PM
    If it is a Bank Service charge then it is posted as Follows:

Debit Bank Service Charges Expense (or Misc Expense)
    Credit Cash

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card finance charges [ 1 Answers ]

Because of a balance transfer was used. Two finance charges appear every Month. The cash finance charge and the purchase finance charge. If the balance of the credit card is paid off fully. Will reoccurring charges Still be subject to the two finance charges??

Finance and accounting [ 5 Answers ]

The Market Price of a firm's stock reflects the value of the firm as seen by it's owners

Finance Accounting [ 3 Answers ]

Allowance for Doubfull account ?

Accounting for company registration charges [ 2 Answers ]

So here's the question. I am doing an MYOB Assignment, and I have to record this document, the situation is that there's this company, named Rangitoto Adventue Ltd, which is a tourism company and Kelly Kahurangi, the owner, spends most of her time promoting a luxury charter vessel called Risk and...

Finance and Over the Limit Charges on closed Accounts [ 1 Answers ]

My bank credit card was closed about 7 years ago by grantor due to negative credit on another credit card that I have. At that time, my balance was a little over $400. My limit was $500. Since that time the bank has charged a monthly finance charge of $12 and an over the limit charge of $25.00. The...

View more questions Search