Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2005, 08:15 AM
    Earthing
    Hi pals
    I had to replace my smps twice , I don't know what happened when I took it for repair , I was told that there was a short circuit and the board in smps is blown,so when I asked why did it occoured , I was told tat I didn't had earthing to my PC, now what is this earthing and how should I connect it?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 09:11 AM
    Earthing
    Hi,
    Earthing is Grounding.
    Your PC should be grounded, so as to avoid anything, such as lightening strikes nearby, causing very high voltage to get to your PC.
    Does your home have ground wiring running through it? Such as, are the electrical plug-in sockets in the wall 3-prong slots? All newer homes have electrical plug-in's, with two slots for the current, and the third slot, located usually beneath, is the ground wiring.
    I use a Surge Protector, which I then plug my PC and all hardware, like printer, scanner, etc, into. The Surge Protector has a 3 prong plug, that plugs into the electrical outlet; the third prong being the ground.
    STRANGER_OF_UR_DREAMZ Posts: 61, Reputation: 2

Dec 28, 2005, 12:18 PM
    Grounding
    Hi fredg
    I have grounging/earthing to my house.coz its not tat old, can u tell me any other reasons for shortcircuit's in my PC?
    Thanks for earlier answer
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 01:14 PM
    Short circuits
    HI,
    If you don't use any kind of Surge Protector, there could have been a voltage spike in your electricity. That might cuase the short circuits.
    If you do use a Surge Protector, then it could have been from possible overheating, but not sure. I take the case off my computer about every 6 months or so, and blow out the dust with compressed air. This keeps dust buildup off the heatsinks and the fan blades.
    I am sorry, but don't know any specific reasons the short circuit. Sometimes, it just happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search