Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emm Lura Posts: 84, Reputation: 15

Dec 27, 2007, 11:45 PM
    How long to wait to plan wedding after engagement
    I just got engaged on the 24th and I have been looking at dresses in the magazines and little things like that. I said something to my fiancé and he says that it is a little too early to start planning this stuff. He says we need time for this engagement and what it means to sink in. If it didn't sink in that he is going to be my husband why would he propose? Anyway, what is the average time you take before planning a wedding?

Any help would be great.

Thank you
    Emily
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 11:49 PM
    How big and formal a wedding do you intend to have? If you're planning on the traditional gala Saturday evening affair you need to start setting plans in motion at least a year in advance. On the other hand, if you're planning on something simpler and/or on a different day of the week besides Saturday or Sunday, then a few months will do it.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 11:50 PM
    How long had you dated him before the engagement?
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Dec 28, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Our engagement was typical at 18 months. There were times that I had to rush and times that I could relax. (This was planning a small wedding with 85 guests)

He's right --its best to wait and enjoy the time to yourselves for a little while. Pick a date and talk about what sort of wedding you'd want.

When I first got engaged (12/25/05) I was excited and bought the first bridal mag I could get my hands on. I bought a few things (glasswear, etc) but changed my mind a month later and couldn't return them. Out of excitement, I spent $150 I'll never get back. Don't make the same mistake!

I live in the same region as you, so you'll probably have the same costs and timeline as I did (I was just married in June 07). We booked our reception location 3 weeks after we got engaged... I probably didn't have to rush that. However, we booked our ceremony location 4 weeks after we got engaged and they already had other weddings that same day. It depends on what you want and what you can afford. Make time to discuss your hopes with your finance and come to a budget you can stick to.
    padmapatak Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 10:47 PM
    Usually a one month time for wedding planning is quite sufficient
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 10:51 PM
    This is a really old thread that's no longer visible on the list of currently active threads. Original poster has also never returned to the thread to respond.

Thread really needs to be closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long do I wait? [ 1 Answers ]

Let me tell you my history.... + pregnancy test May 9......miscarriage May 11 (2007) HSG test (can improve fertility) on August 23. + OPK August 28. I am currently 11 days late, still -- hpt. When I got my + with the m/c I did not get it until I was 15 days late. I just called my OB and the...

How long do I wait? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I was dating a girl for about 4 months. We knew each other from work. She had told me that she had a crush on me from the first day she met me. We are both 27. About 3 1/2 weeks ago she told me that she still cares a lot about me but she just can't do this right now. I excepted her...

How long should it wait [ 1 Answers ]

I adopt my nephew. How long should I wait to the petition of my nephew to come here to usa? Thanks

How long did you wait? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all! My divorce was only final a year ago, but I was separated for 3 years before that... just out of curiosity.. if any of you have remarried, how long did you wait? Im considering getting married again, and I do uderstand that the time in between is different for everyone, Im just curious. Ive...

How long should we wait? [ 2 Answers ]

OK here goes... me and my boyfriend have one child already but he is from my previous rship so he's mine but not his... he has been wanting one very badly.. we are planning to get married soon(within the next few months).. been together for a year and a half.. my son is turning a year old in...

View more questions Search