Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Honda Prelude 89. Would not start when it is hot outside
    Honda Prelude 89. Would not start when it is warm outside but no problems when it is cold (-26). I had this car for 13 years and it always worked. In the last couple of years, it starts right away when it is cold outside but not if it's warm outside(32+). Most times, I can push start it ( manual transmission). Somebody mentioned that Hondas have a known issue with fuel relay when it is hot outside but I'm not an expert. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!
    Ralph
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Replace the main relay and your problem should be solved. This is a classic problem with Hondas.

Depending upon your engine, it should look and cost something like those below:

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Over time, cold solder joints develop. Some people try resoldering them.

Here's where it's located and how to do the job yourself:

. Remove coin tray covering the fuse panel.
    . Remove 5 screws holding the lower steering column cover..
    . Unplug the 3 electrical connectors attached to the lower steering cover.
    . Using a 10 mm socket and ratchet with extension, remove the 2 bolts holding the fuse panel.
    . Work the fuse panel out from under the dash and disconnect some of the shorter harness connectors to get the fuse panel out.
    . Unplug the wire harness connector from the main relay.
    . Use a small flathead screwdriver to depress the tab that locks the main relay onto the fuse panel.
    . Slide relay off.

Installation is the reverse of the above procedure, although it isn't required to bolt the main relay in its original spot. Move the relay to a low, suitable spot, where it is cool and away from heat.

To help you locate the main relay, turning the ignition key ON and OFF should allow you to hear and feel the relay click.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Prelude AC on/off [ 2 Answers ]

I have 92 Honda prelude, the ac ii sometime on for a while then the compressor clutch is disenge then working again. I checked the freon is OK around 35psi, pulled and checked clutch Relay?? It looks OK and ran fine for 8 hrs then clutch disengage and I have to turn off AC switch then back on and...

Honda Prelude [ 1 Answers ]

How do you set the timing on a 1990 Honda Prelude 2.0?

92 prelude cranks but won't start [ 5 Answers ]

My 1992 honda prelude si 5 speed cranks up but will not start. The fuel system seems to be in working order... I can hear the fuel pump running and at least one click from the main relay as well as smell gas from the exhaust. There is no spark from the coil to the distributor, however. I checked...

89 Honda Prelude S non-FI 5spd [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I need help with my Honda. Spark Plugs are the issue. What brand/size of Spark Plug is the best (across the board) for my car? NGK?

Pulled Fuse on '97 Prelude Now Won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My radio and power to the cigarette lighter died while I was driving. I pulled over and started checking the fuses unfortunately with the vehicle running. When I pulled the fuse under the dash marked ACC the car quit running. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I just figured that after I...

View more questions Search