Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubypb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 08:21 AM
    401K withdrawal versus paying credit card interest
    We are thinking about withdrawing some funds from my husband's 401k. We are drowning in credit card debt and can not see our way out. He's 51 years old but probably won't be able to retire at 65 anyway. My thinking is that we pay off all card debt and with the money that would go for monthly payments, we can make extra principle payments on our home to try and have it paid for when he does retire. We've considered bankruptcy, but have had excellent credit for more than 30 yrs and we really don't want to have to ruin it at our ages. However, every month gets harder and harder to make these payments. In your opinion, would it benefit us to get rid of the card interest,versus the tax and penalty on the 401K?
    DTD Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2007, 04:37 AM
    need to look at total income situation. Not sure what type of mortgage you have but, paying interest only on mortgage instead of apply principal might make sense especially with market values low. Use that money to accelerate credit cards. 401k option not bad if taken out as loan to pay yourself. But don't want to take out so much where you leave yourself with out any emergency money. If you have good rate on mortgage consider line of credit benefit is could be deductable since mortgage interest and let 401k work for you. Market doing very well at this time. I see people accelerating mortgage and later having to refi or use reverse mortgage to survive. You have time to accumulate assets and pay down your debt. Extra income may be solution? BK only if situation past the point of no return. How much debt are you talking about vs income?
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 15, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rubypb
    We are thinking about withdrawing some funds from my husband's 401k. We are drowning in credit card debt and can not see our way out. He's 51 years old but probably won't be able to retire at 65 anyway. My thinking is that we pay off all card debt and with the money that would go for monthly payments, we can make extra principle payments on our home to try and have it paid for when he does retire. We've considered bankruptcy, but have had excellent credit for more than 30 yrs and we really don't want to have to ruin it at our ages. However, every month gets harder and harder to make these payments. In your opinion, would it benefit us to get rid of the card interest,versus the tax and penalty on the 401K?
    Pay off that debt! Number crunching will only prolong the agony. For the record, I am not a financial planner. I am; however, a debt-free retiree that sleeps very well at night.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Feb 15, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Yes. If you have money available from a 401, it will be much cheaper to pay the penalty on that instead of paying interest on those damn credit cards, Word of advice,, GET RID OF THOSE CARDS once they are paid off and DO NOT get new ones. If anything comes up(unexpected expenses) use the equity in your home,, not someone else's money. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Hardship Withdrawal and Credit [ 2 Answers ]

How can I take a hardship withdrawal without having to first ruin a perfect credit rating? Case in point - If I cannot pay my mortgage due to job loss, do I really have to be at the point of foreclosure (where my credit rating will be in ruins) before I can withdraw to paydown my mortgage and...

Credit Card Judgement Against Me - Accruing Interest - What are my rights? [ 12 Answers ]

I have just received a notice from my local court that an old credit card account I have is suing me for payment. The account is currently with its' third collection agency. The second agency harassed me at work until I did my research and sent them a "cease and desist" letter. I have spoken to...

Credit card debt vs 401k money [ 3 Answers ]

I have a particular problem and not sure how to handle it. I was let go from my company and am presently waiting for a hearing for unemployment compensation so I have no income coming in. I do not have this months mortgage payment coming due July 1st and I have really good credit and did not want...

High Balance and Interest Credit Card [ 5 Answers ]

Hello All, I am currently going through a divorce and I am trying to straighten out my finances. I had been using my Discover Card to live off during the separation since my ex-husband brought home most of the money in our home. I have completely maxed the card out with cash advances so now my...

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

View more questions Search