Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Praxia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Keep frying low voltage transformer
    Heat pump, 13-14 year old Rheem system. 3 or 4 ton unit (don't remember exactly, but I think it is a 3 ton). Air handler mounted on ceiling in garage.

I live in Florida where heat is used about 3 weeks out of the year. Recently, we replaced the low voltage transformer in the air handler when it stopped working. I noted that it stopped working around the same time that we needed the heat for a couple of days. Since then we had been using A/C until a recent cool spell swept through that required heat to take the chill out of the air. Upon switching the system over to heat again, the transformer died again. Now, the transformer itself is cheap enough, but I would really like to find out why the system keeps frying the transformer so I can get to the bottom of the real problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts on where I need to begin?

(this is the transformer that connects to the 24V line that I believe goes to the thermostat)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Simple to do.
    You need to trace your heat circuit from the thermostat to the furnace and find the short circuit.Since it does not do this in the A/C mode at least that part does not need to be checked.
    Many times a wire will rub and short circuit.
    To do this you will probably need a meter to check the thermostat cable.
    I would also put a inline fuse in the transformer circuit so as you are testing and if you do this you will save yourself the purchase of another transformer since the fuse will blow and not the transformer.
    Praxia Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Won't have the opportunity to check this until the weekend, but thankfully, we won't need the heat.

Also, thanks for the quick response hvac1000.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Dec 27, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Post back with your results

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I saw a ghost while frying an egg then the egg turned blood red! [ 6 Answers ]

I was cooking at my fiance's Grandparents old farm house. I was standing at the stove frying eggs and noticed something looking at me from the other room. I looked and saw a shadow like creature disappear behind a wall. I looked back at the pan and the eggs were blood red! I screamed and then...

Deep frying oil [ 3 Answers ]

Will it make you sick if you use the oil in a deep fryer if it wasn't refrigerated overnight?

Low voltage wiring/transformer [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I have low voltage wiring run for undercabinet lighting in a newly remodeled kitchen the end of that low voltage wire run is in an unfinished basement. Along with that I have a 120v that line that is powered or will be from a wall switch upstairs in the kitchen and also ends in the...

Deep frying [ 3 Answers ]

I recently bought a deep fryer I would like to try deep frying chicken drumsticks I already have the batter coating mix but I'm not sure How to do this operation I read somewhere that I should place the chicken on a rack and let it dry out in the fridge for a day Should I boil the drumsticks...

Voltage doubler [ 1 Answers ]

How do you figure out how big of a capacitor you need for a voltage doubler circuit? I am putting together one for a 250 VA 24 volt transformer.

View more questions Search