Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Dec 29, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Yes, I did say he meant overall because that is what the term “Globalization” means, as does so many other Politicians here and in Europe (Which includes immigration.) however I think they are wrong; just as I think it is wrong thinking to point the finger at imports. If we stop importing who would we be able to export too? Trading is a two way street. Trading involves not just the goods but the means of getting the goods from one place to another and that is a huge industry and includes the communications industry, ships, airplanes and ports with the ability to move the goods across America, stop trading and we are dead. Given that importing is essential, Mc Donald's is contributing by meat imports and is not the problem you seem to believe it is.

DC,

You and I are the same page with imports and exports. You are echoing what I replied in my first post. My McDonald's comment was a closing digression on the importation concerning food standards, not that they were importing. You misunderstood or I didn't make that clear enough. Actually this is from my earlier post:

Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    However, I do have a problem with certain products being sold on the cheap. But for myself, it's less a tariff issue. Fortunately the FDA governs the domestic produced beef standards here in the States, meanwhile other countries have very loose regulations to almost no standards. And that's one of the black eyes on a famous hamburger chain with golden arches, they don't mind going the cheaper route.
    To make one correction though on my above initial statement, it is the "USDA" that governs, I mistakenly had the FDA in mind. The FDA I think initially by law in 1906 was responsible, but since only governs all non-meat products. Clinton tried in 1993 to have the FDA govern all food products, but that didn't end up happening and the USDA still inspects the meat today along with poultry imports. Both the FDA and USDA, however do work in cooperation together at times and you will see where the FDA, when they decide to, do report warnings on meat contamination, where bacterias or non-approved drugs were used, etc...

Bobby
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Tom

Beijing is increasingly concerned over protectionist sentiments in the U.S. Congress too, and George W. Bush voiced concern Thursday about rising protectionist sentiment.

Europe is talking the same thing but it's in the area of closing, or severely curtailing immigration.

According to a recent study by the Pew Research Center, only one-third of Americans think free-trade benefits the US economy; close to half believe that free trade agreements have a negative impact on wages and employment.

Without researching it, and when I do this I am often wrong; but, just my hunch is that the public's ignorance stems from leftist propaganda more than anything else.

Bobby

Thanks for the clarification.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 04:47 PM
    tomder55 agrees: I agree with a lot of what you said except to point out that if you listen to the debates at least ,there are just as many Democrats who are echoing the protectionist sentiments.
    Oh yeah, the Democrats like to pander to people's fears and misconceptions about trade, while the Republicans prefer to do it about immigration. Same fears, same demagoguery, different party. Trying to scare people into supporting them by hyping the threat of "foreigners" who want to steal "our" jobs. It's dishonest and despicable. When it stops working, they'll quit doing it, but not before.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
    OG

It’s the Democrats who pander to LULAC, and LaRaza. On the other hand we recently had Tony Snow ratcheting up fear of Mexicans on fox news. Then there is…was:eek: … Tancredo who warned that Miami is like a "Third World country" because of its immigrants and Spanish language usage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Politics [ 3 Answers ]

Why and when did the Democratic states change from red to blue?

Where can I watch american anthem for free? [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I watch american anthem the movie for free online? Can someone help?

Have free trade cause of effect [ 3 Answers ]

Free trade have cause of effect??

View more questions Search