Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    optimrkt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 11:46 AM
    Marriage,Children,Confusion!
    I have been with my boyfriend for about three and a half years. I love him very very much. We have recently been talking about where our lives are headed and if they could be heading in the same direction. I have been going through a list in my head if it is realistic or not... and I need advice!

I am still up in the air about wanting children and he absolutely does NOT want children. Period. I don't know if I am going to end up wanting them or not and I would hate to stay with him and find out I do, or leave and find out I don't. Either way I think I would regret something.

Then there is the marriage thing. I am in my early 20's. He is late 20's. Do you think it is just too soon for ME to be thinking about getting married. I know it may be natural for him, but for me? I can't tell you how much I love him and part of me would say yes in a hearbeat, but I don't want to do it too soon and have it end up in a bad situation. There are other things that make me think that I just couldn't quite commit to that level, but we'll just start at that. :(
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 27, 2005, 11:57 AM
    I had to stop reading at

Quote Originally Posted by optimrkt
    he absolutely does NOT want children. Period.
    Stop considering marriage with him until the two of you are in full agreement on this point - whether for or against.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Dec 27, 2005, 12:01 PM
    I would seriously think this over before you make any moves at this point. Some people feel they want to be married and have kids by the time they are 30 (my wife was one of them). There really isn't any rush. You sound like you are unsure with what YOU really want let alone knowing how you feel about how he is thinking. He is in his mid-20's not wanting kids. Does he want to be married? His thoughts may change later and decide he wants kids, just not right not. After you figure out what you want, think about whether he is compatible with those feelings. If they aren't then you have to decide if you are willing to wait for you and him to be on the same page. I didn't desire to be married and have kids until I was around 28. I knew though that kids would come with marriage (especially with my current wife) so I had to get on the same page or move on as to not string her along. I hope this helps. I am sure others will come along with some advice. Good luck on your decisions.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Confused??
    A thought crossed my mind reading your post, Does this person really care about you? Do both of you help each other, try to understand each other, or do you alone feel this way? Two people must must care for the other for any relationship to work. Yes I am married, we work out any problems by talking to each other, it is a 50/50 relationship.

Sit down and have a heart to heart talk find out want on his mind.

Just a thought.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Marriage
    Hi,
    I am 63, been married now for 28 yrs (second marriage). First ended in divorce after 7 yrs. I was 24 when married the first time.
    It is much, much better to wait until you don't have all these doubts.
    Sure, there will nervousness when getting married, and wondering if I am doing the right thing, but should be not as much "questioning" as you seem to have right now. At the beginning of getting married the first time, I was sure it would last a lifetime; didn't work out that way!
    Personally, I wouldn't consider marrying him if he says "no children". Even if you aren't sure if you want any or not, you might decide you do want children later. If he sticks by what he says, it will be too late.
    I'm sure he is a wonderful man, because that's why you love him. But, he isn't a "family" man. Most married couples want a family, especially in their 20's or 30's.
    I do wish you the best, and hope it turns out OK.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 8, 2006, 02:05 PM
    I've been married more than 30 years and believe me you aren't the only one with fears or questions.Sit down with your b/f and talk about your fears and hopes for the future.Comunication and trust are the cornerstone for any relationship as you both must help each other through any hard times or anything else that life will throw at you.Talk with and be honest with one another builds the basis for good comunication as you both will have to grow together and love and support each other!:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

F1-H1 confusion again! [ 1 Answers ]

IN this website http://www.thetaxguy.com/residency.htm The tax guy says... Dual-Status Aliens Note on page 7 of Publication 519 under Dual-Status Aliens that you could be both a nonresident alien and a resident alien in the same year. That means your tax return becomes more...

Confusion [ 3 Answers ]

I was on the depo shot for 6 years. I got off the shot in January 06. I received my period in 2/06 but this month I haven’t got my period yet. Last month it was over by the 12th. Should I be worried?

Confusion [ 3 Answers ]

My exboyfriend and I broke up last week because he wanted time to focus on his academics and so forth. I was (and am still) very devastated. However, I understood that I had no choice in the matter but to let him go. I didn't want to break up at all so this has been really hard on me. I have been...

View more questions Search