Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    az37dad Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2007, 03:22 AM
    Building a low buget greenhouse in Arizona,need ideas.
    I have been trying to design a medium sized greenhouse with a budget of about $250 bucks. In a minute I will tell you what I have come up with. If you can see anything I am forgetting or something that will fail due to design or you have an idea you think could improve it without raising the budget over $300 max, then I would like to hear it because i have been racking my brain for days and I need outside input.Ok, hear is my idea so far. I was thinking to start I would use 1/2" pvc pipe, elbow joints, 3 and 4way couplings,etc. for the basic skeleton. The shape will be a half pipe about 15'wide X 15' tall and 20'deep. I was thinking of using three ten foot sections of pvc tubing connected together end to end and forming an arch with the ends exactly 15' apart. I will make ten of these arches. and then using two foot sections to keep them evenly spaced front to back for the entire 20' of the structure. One 2' section every ten feet up and over the arch which will give two supports along each side. I won't get into detail about where the 3 and 4way coupling would go because that is pretty much self explanatory other then one elbow joint for each corner of the structure connecting the front arch to the bottom left and bottom right 2' sections and the same on the back arch. Now what I was going to do to make it really strong aside from glueing the tubing together, is to use the ring from an old trampaleen making two 15 ' arches out of it by cutting it in half and anchoring it in the ground so that each arch butts up tight to each end of the tubing structure. Then running a concrete stake every five foot along each side and then using bailing wire to tie each stake to the structure and also using the same wire to tie the structure to each metal arch on either end. Now hopefully providing I glued all of the tubing together I should be able to run a hose to the edge of the structure where I will have already pre installed, at what ever connection point I want to tie in my water connection, a hose bib. I would also be putting omitter hoses and mist omitters inside the structure. This would turn the entire structure on with one faucet . I was going to use the clear plastic sheets, the kind that comes in roles in the paint section of the hardware store, to cover the structure. Along each arch I was going run a bead of Liquid Nails to glue down the plastic as siding with out puncturing holes in the plastic. That is as far as I have gotten on it I don't know what I want to do to enclose either end yet, possibly welding a face with a door in it for the front made out of old bed frames I have lying around the yard and doing the same on the other end but without a door. What do you think?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 30, 2007, 04:14 AM
    If you are not going for looks, I once used an old swing set less swings and heavy plastic sheeting over top. It worked well and had a lot of space inside. Of course it was somewhere where no one could see it. It was quite ugly but did the trick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Building Design Ideas [ 3 Answers ]

I have to do an analysis of Physics of Geology for my latest project (Architecture). Also, I have to find ways of using the earth to enhance my building. I have already decided to put soil pipes in, but I really need some other ideas. Any help would really useful. Also, if you have any interesting...

Buget report [ 2 Answers ]

Chambers Company uses budgets in controlling costs. The May 2005 budget report for the company’s Packaging Department is as follows. CHAMBERS COMPANY Budget Report Packaging Department For the Month Ended May 31, 2005 Difference Favorable F Manufacturing Costs Budget Actual Unfavorable U...

Raising in Arizona [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the song in Raising in Arizona when Felicity is telling Noel about Ben getting Lauren pregnant and Ben walks in on them. Thanks so much:)

How does burning fossil fuels effect the greenhouse effect [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering how all this works ?

View more questions Search