Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Dec 25, 2007, 10:05 PM
    First cavity!
    I have my first cavity and I have to get it filled in a couple of days. The problem is that I am scared to death of needles and they have to give me one that numbs my mouth. I'm serious when I said scared; I would fight the dentist or do anything to get that needle away from me. To take shots at the doctor takes about 3 hours or more... anyway, I wanted to know if I could just not get the shot and still get it filled or would it be worth it in the end to get it?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 10:08 PM
    Most dentists will numb the gum first so you don't feel the shot as bad. Close your eyes and relax and imagine you are laying on the beach.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 10:22 PM
    If he numbs the gum first and uses a very sharp needle and you close your eyes, it will be over before you know it. Dentistry is extremely painless now.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 11:13 AM
    You could try the filling without freezing if the cavity isn't very deep. A few people have high pain thresholds and can handle the procedure without freezing. I guess it depends on which is worse for you.
    The other two are right, the dentist should put topical (numbing gel or spray) on the gum before he injects the local (freezing). Close your eyes and take some deep breaths through your nose and you'll be fine.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Sadly... my father's a dentist. I know kids (and adults) that come in, and they actually have a phobia of needles + drills. I work there sometimes, and I literally had to climb on top of a 37 year old woman, hold her arms down, restrain her... JUST to get her tooth numb. Seriously.

Close your eyes. Don't open it. DON'T open your eyes. You'll be fine.

Dec 28, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Thanks for the help. If you were wondering I went and I wouldn't let the dentist numb my tooth after about an hour. Since I went without it, I felt a little pain but not as much if I had to get the needle.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 11:44 AM
    You're kidding? You... got drilled WITHOUT anesthetics... and it hurt less than the needle would? Well... good for you? Perhaps next time, choose NO2

Dec 29, 2007, 08:33 PM
    No, I'm not kidding but I will make sure I will never get a cavity again!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2007, 08:56 PM
    I was in a 3rd world country and had some dental work done, believe me, you want the shot. They numb the area first, and even have gas available for hard cases. Also there is a "relaxation" where you are basically asleep while it is done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cavity "hungry" dentists. [ 4 Answers ]

:mad: I've had a very bad experience with dentists in the past. One said I had about 13 cavities and it would cost me $2000 above what insurance covered. I was in chock! I questioned it of course and she rolled her eyes at me, treated me like a child. (I walked out feeling like a child with a lump...

Cavity wall insulation [ 1 Answers ]

Can you use cavity wall insulation on a house with a suspended timber floor which as a crawl space, want happen to the air vents:) will it become damp? Thanks crewe

Electrical wiring through cold air return cavity [ 10 Answers ]

Is it code compliant to run romexes (NM-B) across a cavity between two studs (2x6) which is to be used for cold air return? I might have to run 8 romexes through that space! Alternative is to run the cold air return in another cavity parallel to a copper gas line. Any advice would be...

Wiring in cavity wall [ 9 Answers ]

I'm going to running wire within a twelve inch wide concrete cavity wall. The exterior concrete faces are two inches wide, with each face having two inches of polyiso insulation bonded to it. So eight inches are used up. The middle four inches is where the wiring will go. Plastic outlet boxes are...

View more questions Search