Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 02:08 PM
    The appeal of designer dogs?
    What is the appeal of "designer dogs"? Does someone with a maltese/poodle cross actually think that dog is "better" if it's called a maltipoo as opposed to a mutt or a cross-breed? Do designer dogs have predictable characteristics (the advantage of getting a purebred, after all), or is it as much a chance of luck as going down to the pound and getting a random small dog?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 03:28 PM
    I think it is all a matter of marketing hype. Give it a fancy name, and put a high price on it and those with more money than brains will cram their money into your pocket while raising the average IQ of their household. It is just like designer label clothing.

I think most of the regulars here will agree that is you want a Malti-poo or whatever, go to American Kennel Club - Breed Rescue or www.petfingers.org

Sheba that I raised 3 years ago was a deliberate Lab/Golden cross. The truth is, Pepper, the year before and Nita, the year after her were full blooded Labs and weren't that much different. It is all a matter of averages and variations. The Goldens maybe a little softer and easier to manage. The stronger willed Labs with a firm hand, handle distractions better. The school needs a variety of dogs for each class in order to match people with the right dog. If none of their Goldens come in season one month, in a year and a half, they won't have any for the class. If they breed some of their more numerous Labs to a Golden, they will have some Lab like dogs, Golden like dogs, and some just right for some people mixtures. The personality are even less predictable.
    roogirl Posts: 69, Reputation: 18

Dec 25, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    What is the appeal of "designer dogs"? Does someone with a maltese/poodle cross actually think that dog is "better" if it's called a maltipoo as opposed to a mutt or a cross-breed? Do designer dogs have predictable characteristics (the advantage of getting a purebred, after all), or is it as much a chance of luck as going down to the pound and getting a random small dog?
    Go down to the pound, you can find a treasure down there. I got my dog from there and she's gorgeous. I think the appeal of 'designer dogs' are the price tag - they see the dog as an expensive 'product' therefore the best product. The only purpose they serve is keeping puppy millers in business which is a terrible thing.
    wandererrob Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Dec 26, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    This strikes me as more of a marketing strategy than anything. Personally I find it silly. My dog is a mutt. As best we can figure she's a cross between a german shepherd (overall body shape) and bernese mountain dog (shortened head vs shepherd and her coloring screams bernese). But she's still a mutt, or perhaps a mixed breed if you prefer. :)

We saw one website trying to sell them as a Euro Mountain Sheparnese. My girlfriend and I laughed hysterically for a good 5 minutes over that one.

If pressed we jokingly tell people she's a Rotten Mountain Shepherd. The Rotten part coming from her being spoiled thusly. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to appeal an Unemployment Insurance decision? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm sorry, but I don't know where to put this and I'm sort of desperate right now. Cali unemployment sent me a determination that they're going to cancel two to ten weeks of my benefits, because I turned down work with a temp agency in the earlier part of the year. First a little background. ...

Small claims Appeal [ 2 Answers ]

I am appealing the Texas Small Claims Court decision (and judgment) to the County Court. I've got two questions, if I win my appeal. 1) Can I recover my attorneys fees and costs (such as the cost of the Appeal Bond)? 2) Will the Small Claims decision and judgment be removed from my credit...

Education discipline appeal [ 4 Answers ]

A student in our school anonymously gave the principal a photocopy of a yearbook page in which a student athlete admitted to heavy drinking on more than one occasion. The student was suspended from team games for a few games as per the school's co-curricular code (drinking is strictly forbidden). ...

About UK student visa appeal [ 0 Answers ]

Can any 1 have expert knowledge about UK student visas appeal

View more questions Search