Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    6xy5126 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Owner to act as lender to tenant/renter
    I own a rental in Reno. My tenant offers to buy my house. I only owe $80k to BOA and can pay-off. Can I offer mortgage loan to my tenant like a bank?

How will I go with this transaction if even possible? Will the mortgage payments consider my rental income?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:38 PM
    You can sell this house "on contract" to another party. The other party gets the income tax write-off on his taxes.

You would need the help of a lawyer to draw up the papers. There are potential dangers for those concerned, it is not usually recommended.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Dec 25, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Yes you can be the provider of financing just like a bank. The two options are a note secured by a Deed of Trust (Nevada is a D of T state), or a Contract for Deed. The rate, down payment, sales price are all negotiable between you and the buyer. It would be advisable to enlist the services of a good real estate attorney to make sure all bases are covered. Keep in mind that you have the potential of carrying this debt for 30 years. Should you have a pressing need for those funds in the future, the only way for you to cash out would be to sell the debt to an investor at possibly a deep discount. The yearly income received from this debt would not be rental income, but interest income.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 05:07 PM
    Yes, you can have mortgage paperwork written up and basically your are the bank and also the seller. You will have the issues selling the home, and also have to report their interest to the IRS and supply them records of the interest paid. The interest is additional income outside that of the sell of the house and fall under full taxes not any exeptions the sell or the home may have fallen under. In this case the deed is actually transferd, you have to have them funish you proof of insurance, check that they pay their taxes each year and so on.

Others sell it under a contract for deed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know a lender. [ 12 Answers ]

Or a way for me to buy a home with reallly bad credit. I have a home I want that is only 39K and I have 7K to put down on it but am not getting any takers. I have been paying 650 a month in rent and the mortgage would only be 250 so that would free up a lot of money for me but have not been able...

Tenant not paying rent with new owner [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, When I sell a rental property and tenant decides not to pay the rent with new owner, am I in risk for any type of lawsuit by new owner? Thanks in advance, Bo

FLorida owner vs renter [ 2 Answers ]

I allowed a friend to move in for a couple of months. Her and her daughter have now caused damage to my house. They have been asked to move out and have not done so. What are my grounds to get them out, before they really tear my house up!!

Florida Tenant law, renter passes away [ 3 Answers ]

What is general law/policy with rental leases when the tenant passes away: What happens with deposite, any ending lease fees to the estate? Thanks

Renter eviction due to owner foreclosure [ 17 Answers ]

I am currently renting a house through a property management company in Dallas, Texas and have 2 months left on our lease. I always pay rent early. I just found out that the owner of the property is apparently not paying their mortgage and may be going into foreclosure. I do not have any formal...

View more questions Search