Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 12:40 AM
    Lowest Tips Ever Given
    I was at a 5 star hotel restaurant about a year ago with my son. We had to wait for an hour and a half before anyone would take our order, and then it was only after I asked to speak to the manager! The waitress was rude to my son, and told him he could not have what he ordered. She flat out told him no. I was already upset, so I told her that he asked for it, and that is what he would have. She brought the food out half an hour later, and dropped the plates on our table. She left and never asked us for desserts, so I again asked for the manager and told him that we wanted desserts. This time another waitress brought those to us, but did not say anything. As we finished eating, I got up with my son and showed him the tip I was leaving. It was 2 cents. The first waitress rushed to the table before we were even half way out of the restaurant, and began shouting "I dont need your two cents"
    In front of all of the patrons, I very sternly said, You certainly didn't earn it! We left, and I reported it to the management, who knocked a hundred dollars off my bill.

Does anyone have any stories of bad service and how you tipped?

Admittedly, I did not look wealthy or neat that day. I was on vacation, and she had no clue who I was. I was alone with my son, and wanted a fancy dinner... Is that frowned on by some waitresses? I have never been able to figure out if she didn't like us being there for some reason??
    nymph061 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2007, 02:06 AM
    Right on. Way to fight back... when I get poor service I don't pay.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 02:23 AM
    I've learned, after working in libraries for nearly half my life, that people carry around all sorts of baggage. When someone comes up to the circulation desk and is loaded for bear, we do our best to deflate the situation and not allow it to escalate.

Your waitress may have just endured an insufferable customer and accidentally took it out on you and her other customers. She may have been going through a divorce or a custody battle. She may have just found out that she or someone she loves had a physical problem that would be tough to overcome. Or she may have just been in a bad mood.

I'm not sure what I would have done differently. It sounds like a very nice restaurant. She may have lost her job because of her behavior. I hope things improved for her.

It's nearly 3:30 here. I can't think of a similar story. Maybe later.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 25, 2007, 10:06 AM
    I will never leave a tip on very bad service, I will go up to a very large tip on great service. Also if the service is very very bad, I will often demand the meal to be free or reduced price.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 10:13 AM
    I have left a penny before... don't remember why though.
    If service is bad because someone is new or they are having a bad day and make apologys then I tip anyway but if they are plain mean I give a penny if I really want to insult them.. I have to say that has only happened a few times.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 12:38 PM
    I think the manager should have had the waitress pay for your meal

Or had her tell you there was no charge for the meal -- she is there to

Serve you... Most waitresses realize how to make good tips...
    Phobos Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 09:06 PM
    If the service is bad enough I will simply not tip.

I have worked Customer Care most of my working life so I understand how some one could be vexed, taxed or grumpy. This, however, is no reason to take it out on some one else, much less a customer.

If I am in a restaurant, I will normally not complain until AFTER I finish my food and dessert. When I am sure no one else is going to ask for anything, I'll go to the cashier to pay, and THEN, with a smile, tell her my issues.
    I've gotten discounts on my bill this way.

And personally, I will not sit and wait for over 30 minutes to be attended.
    Example:
    I love IHOP. And recently found out that my Huby also likes it. So for his birthday we went there. We were taken to our table and then left alone.
    It was a busy night and they did not have much waiters, but after more than 25 minutes we had not even been asked what we wanted to drink.
    So we got up and left, just as the guy FINALLY approached us. He, however, never said a thing, just looked at us and kind of smiled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subtract the fraction 7 4/5 from 18 6/15 and reduce to lowest terms [ 2 Answers ]

How do I subtract the fraction 7 4/5 from 18 6/15 and reduce to lowest terms:eek:

Lowest Common Demoninator [ 5 Answers ]

What is the lowest common demoninator of 1/3, 1/5, 1/20, and 1/50?

Jordan's lowest scoring game with Bulls? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know: a) when this was? b) how many he scored? c) who was the other team? And d) who played defense on him? It's bugging the heck out of my roommate and I and Googled for about 30 minutes trying to find the answer. Thanks.

View more questions Search