Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 01:45 AM
    Your Home, a Place or Person, Artfully Decorated for Holidays & Other Special Times
    The world is so blessed in having such a variety of secular and religious customs concerning the ways that we celebrate national, religious and world holidays, special family events and maybe just having a party for no particular reason, that give each of us an opportunity to show our creativity in expressing ourselves through all kinds of art forms. Art can take many forms. It's not just painting, drawing or sculpting, etc. But, might also involve things like how we decorate walls, windows, doors, yards, dinner tables, automobiles or even ourselves in some sort of costume for an event.

This site, and particularly this Art topic area, opens the world up to some of us, who otherwise might never get to experience viewing artistic expressions from all over the world, from all walks of life and from so many rich heritages and traditions concerning how we might decorate our homes, other places or even ourselves for certain events and observances.

By having a thread such as this, it is an opportunity to share with each other and also maybe learn a few new things that we didn't know and also get some fresh ideas for how we might decorate. A bonus for our lives, would also be reading about the thought that went on behind the artistic expression.

Each of us has special times when we go the extra mile using our artistic abilities to express our passions for life. Let's expand our horizons and enjoy the art from each of us as related to our varied cultural and family traditions in how we decorate for holidays, celebrations and other occasions.

Looking forward to seeing art in various forms from all over the world, being used in a positive way, to celebrate, reverence, observe, and enjoy those special moments and times in our lives. If you don't have a picture to post, then just a description of your decorating would be fine also.

So, as you can see, this isn't just about Christmastime! To get us started, here is what the deer head in my front foyer looks like this time of year.

Thank you! :)
    Attached Images

jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2007, 01:55 AM
    Love the image you attached! How fun! I can't wait to see the posts on this thread. After viewing a few different threads, one realizes how far reaching this site actually is. I am so excited to see posts from all over the world and learn more about artistic expression in other countries, cultures and activities, celebrations, etc. You have certainly piquéd my interest! I will be checking this thread daily. Thanks for posting such an interesting and diverse thread for those who love and appreciate artistic expression!
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 02:00 AM
    Hey, thanks so much, jrebel7! I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of your Christmas tree that you made of presents on here!
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Dec 24, 2007, 02:53 AM
    Okay... I have already posted this pic in the member's photo thread. However, it is the only decorations picture I have. I won't decorate the inside until tonight... or my two year old would have it all to pieces, LOL. My décor is made of wood logs with cotton for the hair and cuffs on santa... the rest is just good ole paint. Hope you enjoy...

Merry Christmas... Happy New Year

Clough: I love the "rein"deer.
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 03:03 AM
    Hey, thanks for posting, rpg219! So, are you saying that you made the decorations that are in the image that you posted?

Dec 24, 2007, 03:25 AM
    Yes, in a way. I helped my grandpa with them ( I was only about 10). When he passed my grandma gave them to me. We saw some very similar at a hardware store here locally, went home and made them. I love them, not only because of the memories connected to them... but also because they are just so cute and different from most decorations.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 03:37 AM
    I too, have decorations that are keepsakes because of the memories connected to them. I also like the fact that yours are different than other decorations that we usually see. It gets boring seeing the same things for Christmas all over the place.

When you first responded to my post and typed "rein"deer, I thought "Man, what did I misspell now!" :p LOL

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!

Dec 24, 2007, 03:51 AM
    LOL Clough... no just your deer... you dressed him up, so now he is one of "Santa's" reindeer. LOL

Yes, the same old blow up decorations, although cute, get a little old after a while. I have many people comment on the rarety of my reindeer and santa. My grandpa was creative like that... wish he would have passed that to me. I can do the work, just can't come up with the ideas, LOL.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 04:30 AM
    Originally Posted by rpg219
    LOL Clough... no just your deer... you dressed him up, so now he is one of "Santa's" reindeer. LOL

Yes, the same old blow up decorations, although cute, get a little old after a while. I have many people comment on the rarety of my reindeer and santa. My grandpa was creative like that... wish he would have passed that to me. I can do the work, just can't come up with the ideas, LOL.
    Until I had looked after you had posted, in my mind I was thinking that maybe I had spelled something like reindeer, "raindeer!" :p

Coming up with the ideas is one of the big reasons that I started this thread. There are so many people on this site who have things to share. One of my big things is music. But, not the kinds of music that people usually talk about on this site. So, consequently, I rarely find someone else on this site who would like to discuss and share ideas about the types of music that I am really into.

I know that there are at least a few people on this site who are into the same things musically that I am and maybe even in the way that I am. And, I have wanted to start a thread where individuals with the same kinds of background in music can share with and learn from each other by posting.

The problem has been how to post so that the thread would be not only a draw to certain individuals, but also not exclusive and to be as inclusive as possible. There have been a couple of starts on threads like that by others in recent months. However, they have tended to be exclusive. They have also tended to just stop with the ideas rather than flow with ideas.

In starting this thread, I knew that it would be something that could be all-inclusive because of the topic. No matter where we are located in the world and whatever we believe, we all have celebrations and events for which we do some kind of decorating. It could be something as simple as placing a candle in a certain place in our home to building a float for a parade!

Subsequently, I am hoping that the ideas that will be shared and also the influence that people will have on each other by posting on this thread will be a boon for the ideas for decorating artistically that we all might have! I am hopeful that this will be a real learning experience for everyone who views this thread and also those who choose to participate in it!
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Hey, thanks so much, jrebel7! I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of your Christmas tree that you made out of presents on here!

Hi there!

I am trying to dowload images from camera to computer but keeps giving me "error" so I will post the "Present Tree" as soon as I am able to get my program to work. Love this thread! I am so anxious to see art from other countries as well as my own.
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Hi there!

I was finally able to transfer the photos from camera to computer. I will post my "Present Tree" you requested Clough!

Just as a word of explanation, we generally have a large Scotch Pine Tree, very wide at the base and fairly tall. I generally have it up and decorated the day after Thanksgiving so we have a long time to enjoy the atmosphere with tree lights on in the evenings, at times, a fire in the fireplace and lights darkened except the lights on the tree and around the greenery above the stockings hanging on the fireplace. I am a person who keeps all Christmas Tree ornaments until they either break or fall apart. I get at least one special new one each year and sometimes, more than one. I have my original ones since 1970 (and even some of the broken ones I just could not toss as they have sentimental value but no longer display them). One funny story on one ornament is as follows:

When my daughter was in elementary school, she said one day she needed to take foil, yarn, glitter, etc. to school the next day. It was not close to Christmas so I was not thinking Christmas colors we usually use. The kids would combine items brought from home then choose items to use so I figured she could choose some color we didn't have and someone else might prefer the colors and items we provided. I had some old lime green rug yarn, red glitter, etc. Nothing more was said. At Christmas time, she brought home her hand made ornament. W E L L. of course, I treasured it, it was made by my little girl... but pretty it was not. We faithfully hung it for years before we talked about the ornament and it's less than beautiful combination of colors. She now has two children of her own. Through the years, it became a bit of a game as to who in our family could find that ornament on the tree. I would hang it in weird places in the tree. It was faithfully hung every year (until this one, sadly but will be displayed again next year).

This year however, because of some health problems in our family, we were not able to get our tree and ornaments down from the attic and such. It was getting closer and closer to Christmas and still, no time nor energy to get our tree and ornaments together. Having, looked for a table tree to sit on a folding table as a last resort, and not locating one this late in the season, I just decided I would build a tree out of the gifts we had wrapped. Thus, producing the "Present Tree". When my son-in-law arrived, he immediately got his camera and began taking photos and said he just loved it. The babies didn't mind of course and so I share the photo now with you. I hope you enjoy seeing it and I appreciate having the opportunity just to relive a few memories along the way about the funny ornament that has become priceless to our family. "Merry Christmas!"

I was given a book a few years ago called "The Precious Present", by Spencer Johnson. As you read the book, it deals with the past, the future and THE PRESENT and how important the present (meaning right now, our time spent not yesterday nor what will happen tomorrow but just now, in the present time) is or should be to us. For some reason, this "Present Tree" took on special meaning to me and I did enjoy it very much. My sis-in-law has cancer and unless there is healing, we won't have her with us much longer. Today, that is all we have, right now and I hope I utilize my time of the PRESENT, and hope I spend it well and honor the Lord God. My daughter said she hopes I will do this kind of tree next year. As sweet a thought as that is, I look forward to my fun little ornaments but this was an experience that we have enjoyed!
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 12:47 AM
    Hurray! You did it! (Built the tree and got your image to post.)

How on earth did you build the tree and get the presents to stay put?

Originally Posted by jrebel7
    I was given a book a few years ago called "The Precious Present", by Spencer Johnson. As you read the book, it deals with the past, the future and THE PRESENT and how important the present (meaning right now, our time spent not yesterday nor what will happen tomorrow but just now, in the present time) is or should be to us. For some reason, this "Present Tree" took on special meaning to me and I did enjoy it very much. My sis-in-law has cancer and unless there is healing, we won't have her with us much longer. Today, that is all we have, right now and I hope I utilize my time of the PRESENT, and hope I spend it well and honor the Lord God. My daughter said she hopes I will do this kind of tree next year. As sweet a thought as that is, I look forward to my fun little ornaments but this was an experience that we have enjoyed!
    You and yours will be in my prayers! My dad died on Christmas Day in 1982. And, my mom died on December 14, 1997. I know what you are going through...
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 12:53 AM
    Hurray! You did it! (Built the tree and got your image to post.)

How on earth did you build the tree and get the presents to stay put?

Balance is the key! All kidding aside, there were no fillers, it was just presents leaned and stacked! Fun. :p

You and yours will be in my prayers! My dad died on Christmas Day in 1982. And, my mom died on December 14, 1997. I know what you are going through....
    Thank you so much! I am sorry for your loses. It helps to know that others have gone through difficult times and made it through! Thanks again. :)
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:15 AM
    Naw! Get out of town! They're not all really just stacked are they? :confused: Maybe we should call Guinness? :D

How many presents are there? I hope that there is nothing breakable that is more toward the top of the stack!

You could also name that thing "Mount Present!" :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:21 AM
    Naw! Get outta town! They're not all really just stacked are they? :confused: Maybe we should call Guinness! :D

How many presents are there? I hope that there is nothing breakable that is more toward the top of the stack!

You could also name that thing "Mount Present!" :)

Yep, just stacked! :p Maybe we should call them. But alas, the presents are opened and gone now. My daughter and her family were here today but I do still have my son and his families gifts here and will be building another "Present Tree" for when they are able to get here from Kansas City, MO.

Hmmmm, breakable? I never gave it a thought. I sort of go through life with blinders on sometimes and this was one of them. I just stacked them where they would present the best shape of a tree. :eek:

"Mount Present"! Oh Craig, you are good tonight. I think you just come alive at night. You are on a roll now. LOL We have had a lot of fun with the tree.
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:40 AM
    Originally Posted by Mount Present er, I mean jrebel7!
    "Mount Present"! Oh Craig, you are good tonight. I think you just come alive at night. You are on a roll now. LOL We have had a lot of fun with the tree.
    Hey, thanks for the compliment! :) Until I went to church tonight with my daughter, I wasn't feeling all that great mentally and emotionally. Although, not at my best, I do feel much better now! Getting out and also going to church really helped!

Do you think that I should put something in the beginning of the original post that says something like: This isn't just about Christmas! :confused: There have only been three people who have posted to this thread. One of them being the original poster, what'shisname. What a moniker! Poor guy! He must not have very much sell esteem!

Ya got to check out the site below. The beginning is a real eye opener! You might want to wear some 3D glasses! You're guaranteed to go blind by looking at it! Reminds me of viewing stuff at an IMAX Theater!

Guinness World Records - Home Page
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:50 AM
    Hey, thanks for the compliment! :) Until I went to church tonight with my daughter, I wasn't feeling all that great mentally and emotionally. Although, not at my best, I do feel much better now! Getting out and also going to church really helped!

Do you think that I should put something in the beginning of the original post that says something like: This isn't just about Christmas! :confused: There have only been three people who have posted to this thread. One of them being the original poster, what'shisname. What a moniker! Poor guy! He must not have very much sell esteem!

Ya gotta check out the site below. The beginning is a real eye opener! You might want to wear some 3D glasses! You're guaranteed to go blind by looking at it! Reminds me of viewing stuff at an IMAX Theater!

Guinness World Records - Home Page
    I am glad you are feeling better now. I can tell when you start being so funny in your comments that you are better.

Since you are the person who started this thread, I would first just say do what you feel good about but my opinion is that I think I might just wait until after the first of the year. So many are involved in Christmas right now that they probably just aren't having as much time to be on the site like usual. After the first of the year, if response is still slow, you might change it up a bit but the way it reads sounds clear to me. Maybe Cal, FB, Didi, and some others could share some of their customs, observances, and how they use their art to enhance those events/times since they are each artists. Erica is in Germany. Perhaps she could be encouraged to share how she decorates for which events/holidays, etc. there and maybe she could share how it differs from the United States since she is from the states. I am just really anxious to view art from other parts of the world. I need my horizons brightened! :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:52 AM
    Yep, I see what you mean by the 3-D glasses! LOL
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:56 AM
    I think that you are correct, jrebel7. After all, I did just start this thread only 24 hours ago. I will give it some time before changing anything. How does this morning at 3:00 A.M. sound?

Just kidding... :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 01:58 AM
    I think that you are correct, jrebel7. After all, I did just start this thread only 24 hours ago. I will give it some time before changing anything. How does this morning at 3:00 A.M. sound?

Just kidding... :)
    :p :p :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I need to do to evict a person living in my home ? [ 14 Answers ]

My son lives in a rental property of mine. He allowed a young woman to move in with him. He has asked/told her to move out. She has refused. She does not pay rent and never has - her name is not on the lease. What steps can I take to evict her legally from the premises in the state of...

Holidays [ 3 Answers ]

Hopefully everyone had a great Thanksgiving. The Holidays are here again-so soon! This time of year is not a time of joy for everyone. In fact, it can be a very depressing time for a lot of us. I wanted to open this thread in hopes people will come to talk if they are starting to feel depressed...

Artificial person vs. Natural person? [ 9 Answers ]

How would the court deal with a natural person vs, artificial person? By definition a artificial person is a corporation (strawman) which the court would have jurisdication. How does the court deal with a natural person, a human being? How does the court obtain jurisdication over a human being? ...

Can only go home for the Holidays every other year [ 1 Answers ]

11 years ago my sister who is 10 years younger decided that she no longer wanted me to visit our Mother when she was there. Because of this my Mother took her side and would not tell me why my sister had stopped talking to me and had decided she hated me. Instead, my Mother told me that in the...

Holidays in the UK [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Last year my dad had a very serious stroke and is now very disabled, and also diabetic. He is currently in a residential care home while my mum sells their house and we manage to buy a house suitable for him to reutrn to. We want to go on holiday, but obviously don't want to have to leave my...

View more questions Search