Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdr78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Phone jacks in the house are dead
    My phone was working an hour ago and now it is not I have went out and tried the test jack out side and it has dial tone but all the jacks in the house are dead what could be the problem?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Could any of the lines been chewed on by a pet, or could water/moisture have caused corrosion on any of the lines... such as on an extension phone cord? I've had both situations occur to my phone lines in the past... entire system went dead exactly as you described.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Next question then would be if your jacks are in a circuit loop where one leads to the next... or if they each have a separate feed into the main outside jack that you mentioned?

As far as moisture, I was even thinking of ice/frost possibly building up on the lines connections... maybe where it enters the house. I don't know where you live, the weather, or anything, so I am only trying to offer suggestions.

I am also wondering if you have linebacker protection service on your phonelines? If yes, check if the phone company will check your issue free of charge.
    jdr78 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by oneguyinohio
    Next question then would be if your jacks are in a circuit loop where one leads to the next... or if they each have a separate feed into the main outside jack that you mentioned?

As far as moisture, I was even thinking of ice/frost possibly building up on the lines connections ... maybe where it enters the house. I don't know where you live, the weather, or anything, so I am only trying to offer suggestions.

I am also wondering if you have linebacker protection service on your phonelines? If yes, check if the phone company will check your issue free of charge.
    Thank you I will check
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
    I would start with the cable that feeds out of the outside box and check your connections all the way from it to the first junction box inside. A voltage detector would work great on this project.

I came across the niftiest gadget for trouble shooting, a voltage detector. They work through the insulation of wires. There are several brands. I have a GB Instruments GVD-505A, less than $15 at Home Depot. Touch it to a hot wire, and the end glows red. Find the doodad that lights it on one side, and not the other, and you have the culprit. You do not have to open up housings and expose electrical contacts. You are looking at where your hand is, not where the meter is. Most people are capable of doing repairs and will get it going and not get hurt if they use a little sense. The voltage detector makes it even easier.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2007, 08:49 AM
    If it makes it to their Box, A good line should have about 48 volts(on hook), be sure jumper is plugged in outside to restore connection inside. Call your house from another location, if it rings and rings, line is open, if it rings busy, then shorted(loaded down).
    A good pair should connect to red and green on phone jack.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring phone jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I read through other similar topics and couldn't find an answer. Just had the phone company out as my line was dead. Problem with wiring in the house. The pair of wires (white w/ blue mark, blue w/ white mark) that were hooked up to line one In the NIC box (red/green connectors) supposedly...

Cordless phone rings once then goes dead [ 1 Answers ]

Why does cordless phone ring once then go dead

Connect Dead Phone Jacks [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently moved into a house, and only 2 of the 6 phone jacks work. I only have one line... I've already compared the "working" jacks to the non-working jacks, and they seem to have a similar configuration. The outside wires are all going to line one. Any ideas how to get these phone jacks...

Wiring phone jacks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to rewire a phone jack back to a different number. How do I do this? Any help appreciated.

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search