Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christinewest-stephen Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 06:39 PM
    Bitting off hair
    My 6 year old cat expo is bitting off the hair his back and now it is scabed and I can not get him to stop he does not have fleas so we can not figure out what could be making him do this or how we could help him stop:confused: :confused:
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 26, 2005, 08:16 PM
    Perhaps your cat has pruritus? Look for these symtoms:

. Scratching or biting which can result in loss of hair, redding of the skin and obvious pain and discomfort if the scratching or biting goes on for more than a day.
    . Chronic feet licking.

. With cats pruritus may be subtler and may seem to you to be excessive grooming. You could see thinning of the hair where the cat is licking or raised and crusty lesions.

Let me know how any of that sounds and if its not then Ill see what else I can find for you.

Dec 26, 2005, 08:44 PM
    Sound right
    But what can I do about it if this is what the problem is

Dec 26, 2005, 09:04 PM
    Have your cat evalutated by your vet. The vet may do some diagnosis tests on your cat which would include a complete medical history, physical examination, skin scraping to rule out other things, and a fungal culture.
    I wonder if it could also be a possibility that your cat has trichotillomania which is excessive hair pulling which in humans is one sign of OCD. In either case have your vet take a look see.

Dec 26, 2005, 09:10 PM
    This hap[pend before but they said it was fleas but he does not have fleas

Dec 26, 2005, 09:31 PM
    Take him to the vet and tell them what you have just told me and all the other stuff. Tell them to look at your cat again and you want a second opinion. If they say its not pruritus then ask them about the possibility of it being trichotillomania(excessive hair pulling) and ask them about what they can do about that. I think they have pet sychologists for that too.

Dec 26, 2005, 09:45 PM
    Thank you I will do that :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair loss due to hair dye [ 14 Answers ]

I feel sooo terible, I used dye called (biegen, I think) it is very cheap, I did not like the color so I used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front I can see my scalp now, what should I do would my hair grow back or...

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

HELP: Going from Black Hair to Brown Hair [ 42 Answers ]

Ok, firstly, Id like to apologies as I realise there are many topics on this forum about this, however, they have only confused me more, as some say that it is not possible to do it without bleaching, and some say that there are hair dye removal products that can do it. I naturally have dark...

How to get rid of hair dye/keeping hair dye from fading [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have kind of a problem and no one knows what to do, especially me! I have beautiful dark dark brown hair. I don't know why, but I let someone highlight my hair blonde about 2 years ago. They turned orange, so I dyed my hair dark brown again to get my color back and I was happy. Within a...

How often can I dye my hair? [ 20 Answers ]

My natural hair color is a reddish brown and I recently dyed it black. I meant to dye it brown to get rid of the red, which I hate, but after I bought the wrong kind of dye and messed up, I colored it black to cover it and it turned out really well and actually looks really good. I dyed it about a...

View more questions Search