Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zephyrite Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Dec 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Water still leaking from toilet bowl.after replacing toilet!
    The water was leaking from the bowl of our toilet and we were getting "phantom flushes"... water was also seen trickling into bowl... SO, we replaced the whole toilet as it was pretty darn old. We put in a new wax ring, installed the toilet correctly as far as we can tell... and now the water leaks out of the NEW toilet bowl. :( This toilet doesn't have the water come into the bowl from the sides... from what I can tell, it comes in from the bottom of the bowl? So, the water level drops a bit after a flush, and then rises again with a mini phantom flush and the water level rises from the bottom of the bowl. Could this be due to a cracked flange or something? I can't imagine the same seal is bad like the old toilet, as this is one is brand new! Any advice would be helpful! Thank you! :o Janelle
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2007, 03:22 PM
    First do you normally replace your entire car when a battery is bad?

If you merely had water leading into the bowl, that is merely the flapper issue, about a 2 dollar fix. You double check of course by putting a little food color in the tank, and if it leaks into the bowl, you know that your flapper sealing is bad.

Where iis the water leaking, from the tank into the floor, still leaking from tank into the bowl, or where exactly
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2007, 05:50 AM
    How far below the water level is the small tube that refills the bowl through the overflow?
    zephyrite Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Yes, there was water leaking into the bowl, and I know I could've replaced the flapper, but the reason for replacing the toilet was that the water level in the bowl kept leaking down to the point where there was no water in the bowl at all. There was no water on the floor, or anywhere else, it was just leaking down the drain. This problem, plus the water leaking into the bowl were enough issues to make us decide it was probably time to just replace the ugly, mineral stained, 30 year old toilet anyway.
    Thank you, doug238... we adjusted the float so the water level in the tank was lower, and that seems to have done the trick. This new toilet is a bit different from the kind I'm used to. Even though the water wasn't going over into the overflow tube, the level of water in the tank still mattered, apparently.
    It seems our problem is solved, thank you for your help!
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 30, 2013, 05:43 PM
    If you try to fill the bowl of a toilet with water, it just cannot be done unless you stop up the hole. Water reaches and seeks it's own level so what was happening, the excess water was draining off because it was over filling. Not all toilets require the same amount of water to flush.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2013, 12:31 AM
    Handuman,

You responded to 5 years old thread always check the date on the top left corner,Thanks

John
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 31, 2013, 05:53 AM
    I realized that after I answered

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in toilet bowl [ 2 Answers ]

How do I raise the water level in the toilet BOWL? The water level is very low... The dry bowl constantly needs cleaning... And my son plugs it frequently... Won't a higher water level in the bowl provide a greater flush?

Fix a toilet that has all the water gone from the toilet (not the bowl) [ 1 Answers ]

Fix a toilet that has all the water missing from the toilet (not the bowl)? The toilet was running ever so slightly. When I used it this morning, all the watrer was missig form the tank, when I flushed the toilet nothing happened. I'm stumped!

Toilet bowl doesn't fill up with water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I just bought a house and have so much to learn. When I flush the toilet, sometimes the tank doesn't fill up with water and sometimes it does. It seems to happen every other flush. Can anyone help me to determine which part I need to buy? Thank you, Amy

Toilet bowl water level [ 4 Answers ]

How can the water level in the toilet bowl be lowered?

Toilet bowl losing water [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I installed a new american standard toilet for my mom. I have no leaks but the water keeps disappearing from the bowl. I resealed the wax ring twice but still missing water in the morning. Please help. Need advise!1 thanks, Paul:mad:

View more questions Search