Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmaniax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2005, 03:15 PM
    Need help -- how to medicate kitten with oral lamisil
    My new kitten has a dermatophyte (fungal ) infection and the vet recommended oral lamisil. The dosage is a 1/4 tablet twice a day for 4 weeks. I am having a hard time giving this to the kitten orally. I've tried pulverizing it and mixing it in his food and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... it apparently doesn't taste very good.
    Does anyone have any experience with the best ways to administer lamisil orally? I'm not sure how to dissolve and administer as a liquid.. I don't think it is that water soluble

Thanks

GM
    jennapbt Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

Dec 26, 2005, 10:46 PM
    I'm a vet tech at a clinic and when we have to administer pills to cats we have a special tool that you stick the pill at the end of it stick in in its mouth and push the plunger which causes the pill to go into the mouth. Maybe ask your vet where you can find one of those. Or get someone to help you hold the cat, have them scruff its neck real tight with one hand, then with their other hand have them grasp the top of the mouth then you help open the mouth and stick the pill down his mouth and then rub underneath his chin to push it down the throat.
    gmaniax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Lamisil
    Thanks... I am actually looking for a less traumatic way... I got the kitten from a breeder 2-3 weeks ago and that is undoubtedly where he picked up the fungal infection. He is still very skittish and afraid of people so we are are trying to work with him to get him more people friendly...

If I can avoid manually forcing the medicine in twice daily, that would be the preferred route

It is slightly soluble in water or juice from food... but I was hoping for for experienced advice on ways to dissolve, etc

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had a kitten~~~~ [ 3 Answers ]

And it died.. it came out butt first and my friend told me that she is still in labor b.c she keep walking around the house a lot and puring and then mowing then growing does this sound like she is still in labor or was there just 1 kitten? Please help me ASAP:confused: :confused: :confused:

Oral contraceptives [ 4 Answers ]

I use oral contraceptives 21days for 7months,one of my friend said her doctor said u should break body after use these tablet for 6months,means use pills for 6months,break for 6months & start after 6monthbreak again,can u help me.

Oral sex question [ 11 Answers ]

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oral sex [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together 6 months and he doesn't hesitate to perform oral sex and I want to return the favour but am not really sure where to start or what to do. Any tips would be appreciated?

View more questions Search