Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    neva40213 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Owed taxes
    I am in the process of attempting to take care of all my tax issues and was told that I may possibly owe approximately $18,000.00 from 2003 due to capital gains what should I do there is no way I could pay that
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 23, 2007, 08:43 AM
    The IRS will negotiate a payment plan
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Dec 23, 2007, 06:12 PM
    Have you filed for 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 yet? Any refunds that you may be eligible for 2004, 2005 and 2006 would be applied first to what you would owe for 2003. The IRS will want you caught up on all your tax returns before they will negotiate a payment plan. Be sure to file your 2007 as soon as possible too. As they may wait until they see that return before they negotiate.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 24, 2007, 01:29 AM
    Yes, Mobea is right. For any payment plan, normally IRS will like you to be up to date on your returns.
    Also unless you complete your returns you won't know how much you actually owe to IRS. You must file your tax returns if you meet the filing requirements.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 24, 2007, 01:58 PM
    I suspect that Neva's tax problems are the result of an audit.

It often takes the IRS several years to catch up on improperly-filed returns that do not factor in profits from the sales of stocks, bonds or other equities.

If so, the refunds from 2004 through 2006 have already been dispersed.

Any refund for 2007 WILL be confiscated by the IRS and put towards the $18,000 tax debt.

NEVA should also make sure that the capital gains was calculated correctly. When the IRS makes capital gain adjustments on returns, they assume a basis of ZERO, which is hardly realistic, but it produces HUGE tax bills, which many taxpayers pay without checking the calculations.

Any competent tax professional can amend the 2003 return and submit a Schedule D with the correct basis, thus reducing the tax bill significantly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

$12,000 owed by Tuesday! [ 2 Answers ]

After 5 months of paying less than the minimum payment due a collector called my place of employment and demanded my entire payment of $12,000 in full within 2 business days. I offered to make larger monthly payments and was told that was not an option. Also, my name is the only name on this credit...

Taxes owed - IRS notice [ 3 Answers ]

Hello…I received a notice from IRS saying that I owed $21,000 taxes and penalties for securities that I did not report on my 2005 tax return. The securities belonged to my mother who died on 12/30/2004. After the holiday, I notified that my mother had died. You should know this: When my...

How can interest income double my federal taxes owed? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, This question is for anyone out there who can help me, specifically for Atlanta Tax Expert since you were kind enough to help me last year through this forum. My status changed from F1 to H1B in 2005 and 2006 is the first year that I will file as a resident alien. My employer deducts...

Taxes owed on company based outside NY, office in NY [ 1 Answers ]

My employer is based out of Phoenix, at least their W2 states this, and my office is in New York City. Last year I moved to NJ and the payroll department started withholding NJ taxes. I work virtually but several times a month would go into the office in NYC. A few questions: 1) Is my income...

View more questions Search