Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 27, 2005, 11:29 PM
    I really think God knows how dumb us humans are and tells us only what our little minds can grasp.Do you tell a five year old what you were doing to his mommy last night?HE understans wrestling with her, not procreating!Do you not believe in carbon14 testing,How come nobody has seen any of those dinosaur fossils walking around in the flesh?Our limited perceptions only allow us a very narrow view of the reality of the world we live in.Question-If Adam and Eve where first and they had kids who did their kids mate with to produce mankind?You can probably tell I don't hold the bible or any other book to be of any devine origin.:cool:
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2005, 11:33 PM
    What about dinosaur fossils?

Oops you already said that talaniman, sorry! :p

Also, I'm interested in what creationists think about DNA? Like for example, how do you explain that chimpanzees and humans share over 97% of the same DNA, if we don't have a common ancestor?
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Dec 28, 2005, 01:36 AM
    Science and Bible just don't mix and I didn't have strong faith to explain away scientific facts vs what Bible says. But that didn't stop me from liking the song below in late 1970s. :)

By Bob Dylan...

Man gave names to all the animals
    In the beginning, in the beginning.
    In the beginning, long time ago.

He saw an animal that liked to growl,
    Big furry paws and he liked to howl,
    Great big furry back and furry hair.
    "ah, think i'll call it a bear."

He saw an animal up on a hill
    Chewing up so much grass until she was filled.
    He saw milk comin' out but he didn't know how.
    "ah, think i'll call it a cow."

He saw an animal that liked to snort,
    Horns on his head and they weren't too short.
    It looked like there wasn't nothing that he couldn't pull.
    "ah, think i'll call it a bull."

He saw an animal leavin' a muddy trail,
    Real dirty face and a curly tail.
    He wasn't too small and he wasn't too big.
    "ah, think i'll call it a pig."

Next animal that he did meet
    Had wool on his back and hooves on his feet,
    Eating grass on a mountainside so steep.
    "ah, think i'll call it a sheep."

He saw an animal as smooth as glass
    Slithering his way through the grass.
    Saw him disappear by a tree near a lake.. .
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 07:03 AM
    That was from Slow Train Coming, wasn't it?

Yes, for a time, Bob Dylan had an interest in telling the world about his newfound Christian faith... but I wonder; is he is still an adherant?
    phildebenham Posts: 95, Reputation: 9

Dec 28, 2005, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I really think God knows how dumb us humans are and tells us only what our little minds can grasp.Do you tell a five year old what you were doing to his mommy last night?HE understans wrestling with her, not procreating!Do you not believe in carbon14 testing,How come nobody has seen any of those dinosaur fossils walking around in the flesh?Our limited perceptions only allow us a very narrow view of the reality of the world we live in.Question-If Adam and Eve where first and they had kids who did their kids mate with to produce mankind?You can probably tell I don't hold the bible or any other book to be of any devine origin.:cool:
    The same God who made our minds and created language has used plain language to explain what He has done. He did so in simple to understand language so that even a child could understand it. That is what one might expect of a loving God.

Do I believe in carbon 14 testing? No, not really. There are actually hundreds of methods used for dating materials. Carbon dating is only one of them and all of them are based on presuppositions. Many of the methods produce dates which coincide with the biblical account. Carbon 14 is a dating system that cannot date anything to billions of years. It is not the method that can do that. Potassium Argon is a method for dating to millions of years, but, did you know that if a volcano errupts in Hiawaii and you test the lava using Potassium Argon Dating the lava would test billions of years old even though it was only a day old?

No one today has seen large dinosaurs because they are extinct. In the time of Job people did see them and the book of Job mentions two of them.

Yes, Adam and Eve had many children (Gen. 5:4), and yes they married each other and continued to produce. God did not tell man that he could not marry a close relative until after the flood.

The bible is the Word of God and that is why it fits the facts we see around us while the molecules to man evolutionary theory does not.
    Expert

Dec 28, 2005, 09:36 AM
    Curious
    What would you believe in if there was no bible?Do you believe in science?:cool:After the flood who did Noahs children mate with? :rolleyes: Who did their children mate with?:cool:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by phildebenham
    Potassium Argon is a method for dating to millions of years, but, did you know that if a volcano errupts in Hiawaii and you test the lava using Potassium Argon Dating the lava would test billions of years old even though it was only a day old?
    Actually that makes a lot of sense since lava is nothing but melted rock that has moved form below the earth to above the mantle. Nothing is a day old because nothing was created, simply moved from point A to point B.

But why is it that you do not 'believe' in carbon14 dating? It really isn't a matter of belief since you could replicate the scientific experiments that show its properties... over and over again.
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj

Yes, for a time, Bob Dylan had an interest in telling the world about his newfound Christian faith...but I wonder; is he is still an adherant?
    I think he went back to being Jewish...
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Actually that makes a lot of sense since lava is nothing but melted rock that has moved form below the earth to above the mantle. Nothing is a day old because nothing was created, simply moved from point A to point B.
    Yes exactly... rocks, water, any elements you can think of... are as old as the earth, in no matter what form / state they appear. Fossils aren't rocks though. They're remains... and so when you use cadmium dating (or carbon) you are comparing the age of the fossil remains to the age of the rocks. And as NeedKarma says, it's not a matter of belief. It's been scientifically proven over and over again.

Again, I go back to my point of, why does it matter? Why can't people just believe in God and evolution at the same time? Like that evolution was engineered by God? No one is answering my question about that...

Dec 28, 2005, 11:15 AM
    Yes, it was.
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 11:18 AM
    "Slow Train Coming" is an album by Bob Dylan? I should try to look for it and listen to it as Bob Dylan was my mother's favorite singer. I don't think I've ever heard it!
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 11:24 AM
    Yes. It was music written with a Christian message.

Music-wise, I thought it only fair to middlin, but the message was great.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 28, 2005, 11:24 AM
    Who is bob dylan?
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 11:26 AM
    Oh my, you make me feel old! :p

Bob Dylan was one of the major music movers and shakers of the 60s.

Dec 28, 2005, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Why can't people just believe in God and evolution at the same time? Like that evolution was engineered by God?
    That would contradict Bible and it would be too much for Christians to accept?

What Christians would need is a new Bible (Newer Testement) which can explain the relationship between science and their religion in modern way. If bunch of faithfuls can get together 1700 years ago and draft a Bible (doing quite a bit of editing), why not come up with another book to complement the Bible? As is, it is hard to accept a book written a few thousand years ago FOR the people who lived then to make sense for many of us now. Anyway, my 2 cents and a food for thought.

Dec 28, 2005, 11:33 AM
    Oh my, you make me feel old! :p
    You and me both. :o

For others, Bob Dylan had bunch of "Christian Rock" albums at the time. IMO, Slow Train is the best one and actually has a song that climbed to #1 or #2 on the pop chart. The song was "Gotta serve somebody." The entire album is beautifully recorded. Even if you are not a Christian, it's worth a listen.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 28, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Is he in anyway related to matt dylan? You guys shouldn't feel old. You should feel lucky that you lived in such an awesome era.
    Expert

Dec 28, 2005, 12:32 PM
    In the beginning...
    My whole point is that the God I understand created all there is using His methods that I know nothing about, I just believe.As I have seen enough evidence to support the theory that the Earth is millions of years old and has supported many different types of life,and this does not contradict any of my beliefs.God and evolution is not a conflict as it makes perfect sense both from a religious stand point and a scientific one.What doesn't make sense is the Genesis story of Adam and Eve or the notion that Noah repopulated the earth after the great flood, but my mind is open to new information or facts:cool:
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 12:38 PM
    I believe in God and evolution at the same time... to a point, but not all of it (formal Evolution).

Dec 28, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crankiebabie
    Is he in anyway related to matt dylan?
    I don't think so (which means I am right until someone comes up with a definitive proof that I was wrong. ;) ).

BTW, Bob Dylan's real last name is Zimmermen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beginning runner needs help [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently trying to train for what's called an Eco Challenge and I'm starting by running mainly. I need to work up quickly to 4miles and I'm struggling at 2 1/2 right now. I need breathing tips also. Hopeful jogger :eek:

IS it just me or is the beginning the hardest? [ 14 Answers ]

I am just curious, did anyone else here have a really tough time with their husband/wife the first couple of years, because boy, I sure am!:( My husband and I had a baby a yr ago and it has gotten really hard lately. Tonight for example he just took off and took out $150.00 out of our account...

Strange files beginning $ in Windows folder [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone explain why all of a sudden I have about 50 or so hidden files starting $MSI31 uninstall_etc , &NTServicePackUninstall$, $UninstallKB824146$, etc etc and also about 30 Windows Media profile files starting WMPrffor(etc).prx located in my Windows folder. I know they're hidden files but I...

View more questions Search