Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TomFlKeys Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 03:03 AM
    Roofers covered 1 of 3 roof vents for sewer
    Our house is an older house, I was putting in a ceiling fan and had to remove some drywall over a closet. I noticed that a vent pipe (for kitchen) had fallen on the top of the closet. The pipe had a elbow in it hat had rusted (bad salt air problem here), when they were putting the new roof on (metal roof -better for hurricanes here); they probably removed all of the old flashing and putty around the vent pipe and it fell through the hole when they did this. When they put on the Ice and water shield they covered up the hole. Since there were 2 other vent pipes, they never noticed this. So the kitchen was venting in the drywall space above the kitchen. We never noticed any bad smell. We have our windows open much of the year. I really do not want to put the hole in the roof, because the seal will not be right because the pipe should have been through the roof before the metal and ice and water shield was put on. I read that they have one way air valves that can be used, but they sometimes fail. We have a 2 1/2 foot crawl space under the house. Where the vent pipe was rusted off at the elbow (the rest of the pipe is solid and has almost no rust, can I make a upside down 'u' come back down, go under the house in the crawl space and connect this vent pipe to one of the other 2 vent pipes. I problem I see with that is that it will have to be connected a point higher than where the second line drains into the sewer. I have created a trap if water somehow ever got into the vent pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 23, 2007, 06:20 AM
    You sound like you're from my part of Florida. I live on the Gulf Coast south of Tampa.
    You have two options, and a "upside down U" isn't one one of them. You can revent the kitchen vent back into another roof vent in the attic,**or** you can install a AAV,(air admittance vent) The easiest would be to install a AAV, (purchase a better one) on the kitchen vent line. 15 minutes work and the job's done. Regards, Tom. PS. I think tin roofs are cool! Especially when it rains. Good luck, Tom

Dec 23, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Thank you for your reply. There is no attic, so I guess it is an AAV. Note, our metal roof is shaped like tile. So from a short distance it looks just like a tile roof, but each section goes from the top to side just like a regular metal roof.

Dec 23, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFlKeys
    Our house is an older house, I was putting in a ceiling fan and had to remove some drywall over a closet. I noticed that a vent pipe (for kitchen) had fallen on the top of the closet. The pipe had a elbow in it hat had rusted (bad salt air problem here), when they were putting the new roof on (metal roof -better for hurricanes here); they probably removed all of the old flashing and putty around the vent pipe and it fell through the hole when they did this. When they put on the Ice and water shield they covered up the hole. Since there were 2 other vent pipes, they never noticed this. So the kitchen was venting in the drywall space above the kitchen. We never noticed any bad smell. We have our windows open much of the year. I really do not want to put the hole in the roof, because the seal will not be right because the pipe should have been thru the roof before the metal and ice and water shield was put on. I read that they have one way air valves that can be used, but they sometimes fail. We have a 2 1/2 foot crawl space under the house. Where the vent pipe was rusted off at the elbow (the rest of the pipe is solid and has almost no rust, can I make a upside down 'u' come back down, go under the house in the crawl space and connect this vent pipe to one of the other 2 vent pipes. I problem I see with that is that it will have to be connected a a point higher than where the second line drains into the sewer. I have created a trap if water somehow ever got into the vent pipe.
    Dear Speedball1,
    I forgot to ask, I have 2 sinks on the one vent. The one is 8 feet from the vent. Can I put 1 AAV on the existing vent pipe, or must I have an AAV for each sink? Do you recommend any specific brand?
    Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 24, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Dear Speedball1,
    I forgot to ask, I have 2 sinks on the one vent. The one is 8 feet from the vent. Can I put 1 AAV on the existing vent pipe, or must I have an AAV for each sink? Do you recommend any specific brand?
    Tom
    The distance's a little long at 8 feet, (code calls for 5" from trap to vent on a 2" drain) but we're not building a house that will be inspected are we? Use one AAV to vent both sinks. I lean toward Studor Vents manufactured just north of me in Clearwater. Don't purchase the cheaper ones used on mobile homes. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas smell coming from vents in home. [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago a bad smell started coming from our venting inside our home. It smelled like a big toilet. We had someone come look inside our venting and nothing. We had someone come and check our furnace and nothing. And It doesn't smell everyday either.. right now it smells terrible but...

Is this Roof Damage Covered? [ 3 Answers ]

Some background: Last summer my Mom's house (in another city) was damaged in a wide spread hail storm area. She noticed dent damage On an aluminum awning and I asked her to call the insurance people to come out and look. They sent out an adjuster Who inspected and told her the...

Septic stink outside house from roof vents [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, We had a completely new septic tank and drain field put in about a month ago. The old septic was four inch cinder block and the pipe ran under a retaining wall to the house. They said that after they crushed the old septic they could not get to the house because of the wall. I'm not sure where...

Sewer Vents [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new home on a conventinal septic system/leach filed with a grinder pump. I have noticed sewer smells in the basement in the past and now the smell has moved to under the kitchen sink, and I do see a vent pipe here. We have rough plumbing in the basement for an future bathroom/shower. There...

Any roofers out there that can help me on a repair. [ 1 Answers ]

We had a wood burning stove installed a little over a year ago And during the last rain's we noticed we have a leak around The pipe. We have a family menber that said they would come fix it but it seem's Like it is going to be a problem to get them to come over and fix it. I am thinking it...

View more questions Search