Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leidenschaftlich für Wahr Posts: 243, Reputation: 46

Dec 22, 2007, 04:58 PM
    How do you (think you) get to heaven?
    Just curious on the general publics opinion as far as how you get to heaven. Please be more detailed than the general 'being a good person'
    :D
    Thanks
    bebegirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 8

Dec 22, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and saviour. If you sin... ask for forgiveness... you have to mean it of course.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Dec 23, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Through the “Will” to do so. Religion was collectively “Willed” into being as was heaven: a place or condition of supreme happiness and peace where good people are believed to go after death, and, especially in Christianity, where God and the angels are believed to dwell.
    macman11393 Posts: 72, Reputation: 5

Dec 23, 2007, 10:42 AM
    I boleve that u ask for forgiveness and try to be a good person and your going to get your ticket to the heavon
    margog85 Posts: 241, Reputation: 19

Dec 23, 2007, 03:31 PM
    I personally do not believe in heaven, but I heard a really neat analogy once that came to mind- so I figured I'd share. =)

Basic premise is, there is no heaven or hell- when a person moves on from this life, they are in the presence of 'god' or whatever name you give to the spirit/life-force/energy that flows through everything. (I'll stick to using the term 'god' because it is most common and easier than going through the laundry list of possible names of whatever exists beyond this life, if anything)

Good, bad, and in-between, everyone is in the presence of 'god' once they die. The type of person they are is what determines their experience, and creates their own personal eternal 'heaven' or 'hell'.

As clarification, the analogy is this:

If a person who is healthy is outside in the sun, it is a pleasurable experience. They feel the warmth of the sun on their skin, they are energized by the sunlight, they see the vegetation that grows as a result of the sun, and experience the sun as good and life-giving- being out in the sun is the best place in the world for these people, and this is their 'heaven'.

However, if a person with an infection in their eye is out in that same sun, they will be in excruciating pain, suffering, and unable to find any enjoyment because of their personal condition. This is their 'hell'.

Both types of people are experiencing the presence of the same entity- but the condition of that person impacts their individual experience of it.

And, the theory goes, the same is true of the afterlife. All experience the same presence for eternity- and it is the condition of their soul that determines if it is plearurable or painful, heaven or hell. A 'healthy' soul experiences 'heaven' while the 'infected' soul experiences 'hell'- they are not two different places, but rather two different experiences of the same thing.
    veritas Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Dec 24, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Well, being a "good person" isn't going to get anyone to Heaven considering none of us are "good." Jesus said, only God is good. Only by the grace of God can anyone enter the Kingdom of Heaven. If we were "good" then Jesus would not have had to die a despicable death. If you recognize that you are a sinner but that Jesus died to pay for your sins then you are well on your way to Heaven.

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.
    1 John 5:13

Or you can take the atheist approach:
    You are god.
    There is no good or evil.
    There is no meaning outside of what you make-up in your head.
    You are of no more value than a toe nail.
    You will die a toe nail's death.

Or the Hindu approach:
    There is no heaven.

Buddhism:
    No heaven
    bebegirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 8

Dec 24, 2007, 03:22 PM
    To me it's hard to read answers and not reply to them. Every person is entitled to their own opinion... but to me it's difficult when people don't just don't seem to grasp the importance.

There is a God.

He died for You!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2007, 09:37 AM
    It isn't about being good. The Bible says it is about to believe in God and draw near to him and he will draw near to you. It also says in so many words that good doesn't get you to heaven. Being good is more of a result from living right for God. Many people do what the Bible calls good works in an effort to get to heaven, but doing good shouldn't be an effort but rather the result. Basically many people try and put the cart before the horse.
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
    [QUOTE=veritas]Well, being a "good person" isn't going to get anyone to Heaven considering none of us are "good." Jesus said, only God is good. Only by the grace of God can anyone enter the Kingdom of Heaven. If we were "good" then Jesus would not have had to die a despicable death.

Yeah. You need to ask God to forgive your sins and you need to ask him to be your true saviour. That is the only way to heaven:)
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 01:07 PM
    How do you get to Heaven? That's easy... 2nd star to the right and straight on till morning!
    Goldenwolf Posts: 157, Reputation: 9

Dec 28, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Isn't that neverland?
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Well, it would be... if you believed in Peter Pan ;)

Dec 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    It isn't about being good. The Bible says it is about to believe in God and draw near to him and he will draw near to you. It also says in so many words that good doesn't get you to heaven. Being good is more of a result from living right for God. Many people do what the Bible calls good works in an effort to get to heaven, but doing good shouldn't be an effort but rather the result. Basically many people try and put the cart before the horse.
    This is awesome. The only thing I could add, if you believe in the God of the Bible you have to FOLLOW the entire thing, not pick, because that's just creating your own religion.
    Acts 2:38
    Repent, and be baptized, EVERY one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ (Not the father and son and the holy Ghost, those are only titles of God, his name is Jesus) (For what?. ) For the remission of sins! And you WILL receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Truly,
    Ash
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
    No one died for me, I am the master of my own domain. This is the life we have so I make sure I live it correctly.
    Uber Member

Dec 30, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bebegirl
    to me it's hard to read answers and not reply to them. every person is entitled to their own opinion... but to me it's difficult when people don't just don't seem to grasp the importance.

There is a God.

He died for You!
    This is in the Philosophy section, please no preaching.

Jan 1, 2008, 11:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    No one died for me, I am the master of my own domain. This is the life we have so I make sure I live it correctly.
    How do you know if you're living it correctly?
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leidenschaftlich für Wahr
    How do you know if youre living it correctly?
    The Golden Rule is a good guide. I make good decisions. I'm happy and try to make others happy.
    Aliboosh Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 11:40 PM
    I'm a thinking that heaven are both a state of mind. There a several ways of getting to both destinations one example is a near death experence, another is physical pain, another is meditating.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Well... the short answer is.. no one knows

WE all think we do, but in truth we don't.It's down to each individuals faith/ or none faith, as to what they base their beliefs on/or none beliefs on.

So I suppose you can then say it's down to each individuals imagination.!
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Sep 15, 2008, 01:41 PM
    You don't do anything to get to heaven. God takes you in. I believe the word Christians normally use for this is "Grace." We don't earn God's love. God just loves us, no matter what. Although there are people whose actions have made me angry or sad, I have never met anyone whom I would not let into heaven, if it were up to me. And I know Jesus is far more loving and forgiving than I could ever be. So there you have it.

The Christian Gospels show the same story over and over again: People second guess how far Jesus will go with His love. And every time he surprises (and offends) them by going so much farther. The same is true today. Most believers go around thinking they know who will get in and who won't. And the Lord will surprise them again, I'm sure.

Rather than trying to be good out of a selfish desire for heaven, or fear of hell, it is better to know you are loved unconditionally. Sooner or later that sinks in to the point that you cannot help but want to return that love, giving it freely to all around you. This doesn't come from wanting a reward, but purely from the heart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does heaven look like [ 100 Answers ]

How could I describe heaven and what it looks like?

How to get to heaven [ 5 Answers ]

After a long illness, a woman died and arrived at the Gates of Heaven. While she was waiting for Saint Peter to greet her, she peeked through the Gates. She saw a beautiful banquet table. Sitting all around were her parents and all the other people she had loved and who had died before her. They...

Who sings the song Heaven o Heaven.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Ive been looking everywhere do find out who sings that slow song that goes "Heaven o Heaven can you help me, Iam down on my knees please heaven, heaven, heaven, I close my eyes and shes all I see heaven o heaven can you help me" The group or singer sort of sound like Boyz II Men Please...

What is heaven? [ 8 Answers ]

I have my own ideas of what I think heaven is but I've always wanted to ask church officials and people who have read, or herd, the bible if they can explain what heaven is according to the bible?

Heaven [ 1 Answers ]

According to the Bible, in Heaven the saints will praise God for all his glory forever and ever. This does not sound like my idea of Heaven!! Standing around singing God's praises for the rest of eternity sounds, in fact, like nothing more than a super-big ego trip for God. If that is so, then...

View more questions Search