Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    Thank you for your explanation. The "Anglican Church" proper is the "Church of England" and is used interchangeably.

Anglicanism has a large 'communion' throughout the world, not all of which enjoy the name "Anglican." It is good to learn that there is a "Canadian Church of England."
    Yeah that's why I said Episcopalian in my first post, because I thought that's what Anglicans were called in the United States. I could be mistaken though?

Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    It is quite propbable that the Canadian Version of Anglicanism does not enjoy a "High Church," so the question of Anglo-Catholics is moot.

It is gratifying to note that the Anglican Church of Canada (that sounds odd, a bit like saying, the English Church of Canada") is engaged in outreach to Roman Catholics, Lutherans, and Baptists.
    I'm not sure about the High Church thing... the term High Church sounds a bit familiar to me so it could that there are some "High-Churchers" here in Canada. Somehow I don't think they're here in the wilds of Saskatchewan though LOL. Maybe in a bigger more cosmopolitan centre like Montreal or Toronto. I can ask my friend's dad though if you're interested.

As far as being accepting of other groups, I think the Anglicans have a pretty good track record generally, but as with any group, there are some radicals, both left and right. Right now one of the big issues is whether to allow gay marriage. And a while back it was whether to ordain women priests.

Do you (or your Rev. Uncle) see them extending their oecumenical outreach beyond those 'safe' boundaries?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this last bit. In my city we have a large Multifaith ecumenical organization made up of many different religious groups (Christian and non-Christian alike) and they get together several times a year to exchange ideas. They even have multifaith services a few times a year, that the public can attend. The Anglicans participate in this too. It's all good. :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2005, 01:29 PM
    I think Ecumenical outreach is good in so far as it's not done to gloss over the differences.

The goal should be first to recognize the commonality, then clarify the differences.
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    I think Ecumenical outreach is good in so far as it's not done to gloss over the differences.

The goal should be first to recognize the commonality, then clarify the differences.
    Well I'm not sure about other places, but here the multifaith group's purpose is mostly for mutual understanding, respect and peace. It was started after our local synagogue was bombed with a molotov cocktail and there was a deadly fire.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Dec 28, 2005, 03:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Well I'm not sure about other places, but here the multifaith group's purpose is mostly for mutual understanding, respect and peace. It was started after our local synagogue was bombed with a molotov cocktail and there was a deadly fire.
    Ecumenism and multi-faith fellowships have different purposes.

The Ecumenical (or Oecumenical) Movement (OM) has as its goal the unification of all churches in the Roman and Protestant communions.

Multi-faith organisations build bridges of peace, trust, and understanding in communities.

Om has a huge mountain to climb, as its history shows. Inter-faith groups have made significant contributions to communities and are set to continue their good work.

M:)RGANITE
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2005, 03:45 PM
    Oh okay I didn't realize that the 2 groups - ecumenical and multifaith - were actually different. But that makes sense now, thanks! The group I'm talking about in my city is obviously a multifaith group then. I think it would be much much harder for everyone in the city to be ecumenical. Too much arguing... they probably couldn't even decide on the colour of tablecloths for a potluck LOL.
    dgainer1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2006, 12:19 AM
    Wow
    Blah Blah Blah. No offense to anyone but this is exactly why I joined a NON-denominational BIBLE based church. Too much conflict. What really matters is that in your heart you love and accept that Jesus Christ is Lord and died for your sins. You commit your life to Him. It's so simple yet people insist on making it so difficult! The principle is to live with Christ in your heart and in your life. Not to follow dogma's and "rules" created by man and religion. Read the bible. Study it. Learn it's teachings and embrace them. The other simple gift from God that most people can't comprehend is that God loves us and forgives us no matter what our past sins are, as long as we ask Him to, and believe that He will forgive us. Unconditionally. It really is that simple. God Bless, and take care. Dana

Joycemeyer.org (recommeneded by me and also seen on TBN)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Denomination
    Any church, even non denominatin is still based on beliefs, since all Christian churches are based on the bible and ones understanding.

The only fault I find at times with some of the newer nondenominatinal churches are that they fail to accept other denominations as Christians and wish to go out and "save" them because they may also believe in ancient traditions of the early christians.

And again the denominations who do not accept as Christian those churches who wish to follow a more basic form of Chrsitianity.

The fact is there is only ONE church but many groups that are all part of that ONE church even if they don't want to accept the other members of it.

Jan 8, 2006, 04:16 PM
    Non-denomnationalism - or is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by dgainer1
    Blah Blah Blah. No offense to anyone but this is exactly why I joined a NON-denominational BIBLE based church. Too much conflict. What really matters is that in your heart you love and accept that Jesus Christ is Lord and died for your sins. You commit your life to Him. It's so simple yet people insist on making it so difficult! The principle is to live with Christ in your heart and in your life. Not to follow dogma's and "rules" created by man and religion. Read the bible. Study it. Learn it's teachings and embrace them. The other simple gift from God that most people can't comprehend is that God loves us and forgives us no matter what our past sins are, as long as we ask Him to, and believe that He will forgive us. Unconditionally. It really is that simple. God Bless, and take care. Dana

joycemeyer.org (recommeneded by me and also seen on TBN)
    DANA,

When you begin a post with "Blah, Blah, Blah," you must expect that it will cause offense. If you do not want to be offensive, then do not be offensive, instead of being offensive and then saying you didn't mean to be offensive.

There are serious issues here that deserve more than your opprobrium, if that is what your Blah Blah Blah is intended to convey. There are reasons, historical, political, and theological why denominations, sects, and cults inbcluding those like yours exist and if people wish to probe them in a serious and scholarly manner, then they are free to do so without interference or carping criticism.

By saying what you have said abouit what a person needs to be a Christian, you are doing exactly the same that others have done, but you find fault with them whilst managing to recommend your own way as better, best, correct, more correct, or whatever it is you really believe about whatever it is that you have.

In spite of what you believe and say, there is no Bible based non-denominational church or group that exists that is free from the personal interpretations of others, nor from the thrust of denominationalism, and Joyce Meyer is certainly not unopinionated.

To illustrate my point about your not being truly non-denomiunational, if you have communion, is it after the rite of the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Episcopalian Church, Lutheranism, Pentecostsalism, or what? Whose practice do you follow, and hwose understanding of what it is and what it does do you hold to be correct?

I offer that as a self-test to see whether your non-denominational church is truly free from the 'rules' of other denominations, or whether it is not.

You seem to have missed them point of this thread, and in doing so you have reached certain conclusions about what people do or do not comprehend. But, with so little prior information about the faith position of each of the participants, not all of whom have made a 'confession,' your conclusions are at best suspect and unsound at worst.

It would be nice if you could make a more positve and constructive contribution to a subject that matters to a lot of people, even if it does not matter to you. The subject/question asked for explanation of the multidenominational nature of Christianity.

Such a question cannot be answered with a homily.

My personal experience with a "non-denominational church" is that during one of my absences the "non-denominational church" held a prayer meeting for my conversion to their denomination. and it seems as if you are telling everyone here to fall in behind you in your church. Can you see what is wrong with that picture?

Come on!

:)

Jan 8, 2006, 04:19 PM
    The Myth of Non-Denominationalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Any church, even non denominatin is still based on beliefs, since all Christian churches are based on the bible and ones understanding.

The only fault I find at times with some of the newer nondenominatinal churches are that they fail to accept other denominations as Christians and wish to go out and "save" them because they may also beleive in ancient traditions of the early christians.

And again the denominations who do not accept as Christian those churches who wish to follow a more basic form of Chrsitianity.

The fact is there is only ONE church but many groups that are all part of that ONE church even if they don't want to accept the other members of it.
    Father,

You are correct. There is no such thing as a non-denominational church. It is an oxymoron.

:)
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 8, 2006, 04:22 PM
    I meant to comment on non denomination or is? Morganite. Some how it ended up else where.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2006, 05:19 PM
    I did not read any of the other responses. I might not be able to answer you with details but I will let you know my opinions and thoughts of your questions.

I myself was raised as a catholic. My step fathers nanny was johova witness, and My step father is baptist. So there were times that we went to the catholic church and sometimes we went to the baptist church. Johova witness, no offense to any, but when I went there not all dressed up and a visiter they looked at me like I did not belong and that I was not welcomed.

As far as I am concerned Protestant, Catholic, Baptist,Orthadox, and Pentocost, and others that maybe I missed. They all teach about the same God, they all teach about Jesus Christ, but each church has a different outlook on the bible. Each church has a different history and some of the churches broke away from the catholic church to start their own with differing opinions and beliefs. The churches pray differently have different customs and different ways of carrying out the word of God, and mass.

For me I was actually opened to trying out other denominations and my grandfather would say you know how many years that this church has been in our family, but Now as an adult I find myself open to other churches other teachers but I feel most comfortable in the Catholic church.

As far as judgemental, as far as hyprocrital people you get them everywhere and anywhere but not all are like this.

I had someone tell me because I do not go to church 1 a week but this person does in so many words he is a better christian then I am. The way I feel though is that it is not how many times you go but how you live your life on a everyday basis and how you treat each other. Being judgemental and hypocritical is against the teachings of God and Jesus. There are some churches where you go in not looking your best and people frown and judge you for not wearing the proper dress(Dresscode) yet Jesus excepts us all, especially the humble at heart.

Well What do you think about what I wrote? For me personal I think everybody is in a growing path and that there is not one perfect choice of denomination. My advice to you is if you really want to start a path to a denomination or spiritual adventure. Go to different denominations attend a service at different churches and denominations then whichever one that makes you feel the most comfortable the one that moves you the most spiritual, stick with that one.

What I also found even in the catholic church in the last three months I have been to three different catholic churches. Each one was different in some way and I like one over the other two for certain reasons. It all depends on the priest and what community you are in.

Well I think I wrote enough and please reply to what I wrote I am interested in what you think.

Joe

Jan 8, 2006, 05:26 PM
    Whoa!
    I certainly didn't mean to be offensive to anyone, but it appears I struck a nerve in at least one person here, and for that I apologize. All I was trying to convey is that in my OPINION the bible should be the basis for any religion calling themselves Christian. We all have our own belief system and I do not believe I was trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking, only giving advice to look to the bible for accuracy. I was baptized Catholic before my parents were divorced, then attended mulitple churches of my dad's choosing throughout my upbringing including, Methodist, Presbyterian, Assembly of God, and a few others I can't even remember. The result was a very confused me! I didn't attend church for many years as a young adult due to the fact I didn't know who was "right". I still believed in God and I bought a study bible to help me understand the teachings of Christ and biblical principles. After many years, I longed to fellowship with other like-minded Christians. I chose the church that I did, because the teachings are purely bible based, and everything I have been taught can be found in the bible. This wasn't always the case with other churches I attended. I can find no reference to pergatory in the bible, along with a lot of other religious beliefs I was taught growing up. I chose to join a church who can back up it's teachings through the bible. I know this sounds over-simplified but I don't pretend to be a scholar of religion or the bible for that matter. I have read it, and re-read many books of it, but I don't pretend knowledge I don't have. All I can share is my own experience and the joy I have known since accepting Jesus as my savior, and making him Lord of my life. After re-reading my post, I wish I had left out the blah, blah blah, but I was alluding to my own personal experience with a multiple religion upbringing and the confusion it brought to my life until I sought out the truth as stated in the bible. All said and told, I am not trying to minimize anyone else's belief system or religion, only relaying my own experience.

God Bless,
    Dana
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2006, 05:30 PM
    I think it was the "blah blah blah" that annoyed people, Dana... not your religious beliefs. When I'm talking and someone says, "blah, blah, blah" to me, I feel as if they're dismissing everything I'm saying or else just telling me to shut up. Thanks for explaining it a bit better.

Anyway welcome to the board!

Jan 8, 2006, 05:39 PM
    Agreed
    I agree with you Orange, and point well taken. Hindsight is always 20/20 and again, the blah blah blah was read out of the context I originally intended it to be. After I read it again, I was a bit mortified at how it actually "sounded". I did sound rather condescending opening a post that way. Much apologies and future posts will be read twice before I hit submit. Thanks for the response. I can accept and appreciate constructive critisicm. Hugs to all I offended.

God Bless,
    Dana
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 8, 2006, 06:11 PM
    I think the best church I went to was with my favorite cousin and his family when I was a preteen. It took place in this familys basement and everyone wore jeans, t-shirt and sneakers. You could dance if you felt like dancing and sing too and no one judged but everyone would dance and sing with you. They had a guitar player and a couple that sang and the preacher had a nice smelling after shave and when he talked it was like he was talking solely to you. They also did cute little skits and plays.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Personally I like a church with authority. Of the 3000 or so denominations only a few have earth and heaven authority. I speak of "The Church" as mentioned in the Holy bible as the foundation (or ground) and pillar of the truth. That Church was founded by Jesus Christ on Simon whom Jesus named as Peter or The Rock who was the original leader of the apostles as the bible indicates.
    Yes I like a Church that goes by what the Bible teaches and indicates. As such I changed from the church I grew up with to the Catholic Church, because it has the Christ given earthly authority and was inspired by the Holy Spirit to promulgate The Holy Bible.
    Nearly all of the other denominations teach some fairly good Christianity, but for full true Christianity complete with the God given graces of the Sacraments the members partake of the Catholic Churches of Eastern and Roman rite in communion with each other are for me the way to go.
    And I do recommend that others seriously consider looking into that.
    Peace and kindness,
    arcura (Fred)
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Most of you know I'm a Catholic Christian - and agree wholeheartedly.

I was raised in a sincere Christian (Protestant) home. For that I am incredibly grateful.

But in my more inquisitive years, it hit me:
    What about the first 1500 years?

Christ founded a Church, set up the Apostles to lead it and gave them and their successors authority over his Church. The books of the New Testament show this clearly. And even after that, we have tens of dozens of writings that tell us what Christianity taught.

Only after about 1500 years of Christianity do we find leaders espousing the "invisible Church" and "sola scriptura" doctrines.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Yes, rickj
    It was after the first 1500 years that those heresies crept in to spread around the world in the next 500.
    And that is sad.
    So many millions have been lead astray.
    Perhaps the most dangerous one is the so-called "Know so salvation" of sola scriptora.
    The adherents to that one use the trick of selective verse manipulation to lead people to believe that the teaching is biblical when it is really not.
    The bible is full of passages that insist one must have faith and work it, but those are skipped over or ignored.
    The fact that there are over 3000 different denominations and the list keeps growing should be a wake up call to an intelligent mind that there is something seriously wrong there.
    Peace and kindness,
    Arcura (Fred)
    :) :) :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Unity
    Christianity in its pure form is any and all believers, no titles not real man made doctrine just people living their lives for the glory of God.

Of course in the matter of man, man wants to rule and contol all things so we as human mess it all up.

Most know I am Orthodox Catholic, so I do not defend it or attack others for it.
    I was a regular guest speaker at a local methodist church for over a year and found good christian friends there.

The divisions of man started before the end of the Bible, we only have to read the letters of Paul to see how man started doing this or that different and Pauls letters are corrections to them. So it did not end at the last writing of Paul, but churches continued to want to and try to follow incorrect paths, and the church leaders after Paul and after John and after Peter had to deal with them. But even as all did not fully accept Paul, others never accepted this new leader ( now called Bishops) or that leader.

During the first 1000 years the church was not merely one unit, but made up of various churches each under their own Bishop normally. As man does they looked up to and/or followed the Bishops of the larger or largest churches in an area. We see this at the very first church councils, divisions first by some beleifs and then by division as to where the churches were located.

There were disagreements, over the trinity, over the human nature of Christ, over the divine nature of Christ. Over the proper creed and so on.
    It was never a 100 percent agreement. But though it all and in spite of mans desires the spirit control and allowed the truth to prevail.

Was there sin and corruption in the early church, of course as it is in all churches today. We see early how a husband and wife sold some property and in an attempt to look big to the eyes of the church lied about how much it sold for. They paid the price, today more often than not, you will not be struck dead for a lie to the church but the example of mans sin is seen early in church history.

I love and respect all Christians and believe we are saved often in spite of our denominatin because of the love of Christ.

It is the lifestyle that shows if we are christian or not, the denomination or any public profession means little.

Last week these two Mormom (LDS) came to my door. I guess the stautue of Mary in the front yard did not scare them away.

I had them come in, I knew of their faith, so I did not offer them a soda but offered them apple juice or water, told them to sit down and rest. I found they had rode their bikes 15 miles to our community and was going now door to door. I invited them back if there were in the area and hungy ever.
    Would not Christ had done the same to any man.

They were respective of my faith as I was of thiers ( although they still left me one of those little mail in cards) I had shocked them in that I had actually read the Book of Mormon at least 3 times and may have know some of it better than they did.

So yes I do believe I have the best denomination but I will not fault you for your faith, but it is having a faith in Jesus that is the most important. Yes I believe I have a special closeness because of the sacraments that I have but I believe it is in the living of our faith that we prove it.
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2006, 11:18 AM
    I agree with Fr Chuck 95%.

It is difficult to define "believer", so it is a reasonable thing for a person to investigate Historical Christianity to help them decide where to go to worship - and get good direction that is based on good doctrine.

For example, Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons call themselves Christians, but I, personally, have to disagree... but without attack of any sort.

It's a tough ground to play in helping folk determine what is good Christian doctrine and what is not.

Sola Scriptura being a perfect example: It's not found in the Bible, and it's not found as a teaching by "church leaders" until many centuries later.

... so while I recognize Protestants to be Christians, I must also, when asked, point out that Sola Scriptura is not a doctrine taught by Christ or his Apostles.

... of course all I've said in this brief post is addressed in literally thousands of volumes - so justice cannot be done in a post or three...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confusion! [ 2 Answers ]

I have been dating my girlfriend about a year now. We have been getting on great... we have just been on our first holiday and we have even started toi talk about marriage. Until last week, when she said she she was confused about her feelings for me. She started by saying she didn't think her...

F1-H1 confusion again! [ 1 Answers ]

IN this website http://www.thetaxguy.com/residency.htm The tax guy says... Dual-Status Aliens Note on page 7 of Publication 519 under Dual-Status Aliens that you could be both a nonresident alien and a resident alien in the same year. That means your tax return becomes more...

Confusion [ 3 Answers ]

I was on the depo shot for 6 years. I got off the shot in January 06. I received my period in 2/06 but this month I haven’t got my period yet. Last month it was over by the 12th. Should I be worried?

Confusion [ 2 Answers ]

My best friend says he misses me and wants to see me but he said he doesn't like me any and we've been friends for over 7 to 8 yrs.. straight and we did go out but it never worked. And I like him a lot... n we've never stopped being friends and I tell him how I feel about him and I don't know what...

View more questions Search