Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Dec 22, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Anyone ever tried contacts you can sleep in
    I have severe astigmatism and am nearsighted. I am interested in getting contacts that I can sleep in. I have a prescription of 6.5 in each eye. (yes, I'm blind without them, lol). My doc. Keeps saying I should get laser surgery, but I'm not ready to foot the bill yet so..
    I hate wearing glasses and I go camping a lot and would like to be able to sleep in the contacts sometimes. Just wondering if anyone with bad eyes like me has found anything good. If so, could you tell me a name and a price range would be great too. Thanks! :)
    snyders Posts: 20, Reputation: 9

Dec 23, 2007, 07:02 AM
    Under no circumstances is this a good idea. There are sleep-in contact lenses marketed, but using any contact lens for this purpose greatly decreases needed oxygen and fluid flow to the front surface of the eyes. In turn, this brings abnormal tissue growth into the area, which becomes scar tissue. This makes the front surface of the eye less healthy. Even more frightening is that sleeping in your contact lenses increases your risk of developing a vision-threatening infection by about 600X!
    jmiles Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by peggyhill
    I have severe astigmatism and am nearsighted. I am interested in getting contacts that I can sleep in. I have a prescription of 6.5 in each eye. (yes, I'm blind without them, lol). My doc. keeps saying I should get laser surgery, but I'm not ready to foot the bill yet so..
    I hate wearing glasses and I go camping a lot and would like to be able to sleep in the contacts sometimes. Just wondering if anyone with bad eyes like me has found anything good. If so, could you tell me a name and a price range would be great too. Thanks! :)
    Unfortunately there are no "contact lens" you can sleep in that will be safe to the health of your eye... however there are hybrid lens that just got on the market.. the cost for them run about 1500-3000 PER LENS.. depending on how severe your astigmitism is as well as your Rx... and they only last approx a year... lasik is much cheaper however if you elect lasik you are not guaranteed 20/20 vision.. nothing is guaranteed trust me I have seen so many different cases and outcomes.. lasik will change the shape of your cornea making it VERY VERY difficult to ever get fitted with contacts again.. therefore if and when your vision changes which it will... u would be stuck in glasses... I hoped I could help you
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 04:51 AM
    Most Lasik providers offer a one-year guarantee. If your vision isn't up to your standards (not even necessarily 20/20), then they will do and enhancement for free. Please do not believe everything you hear. Laser eye surgeries (there are quite a few) are great. It's ultimately your decision, your eyes. Most places have free consultations where all this is explained. Feel free to look it up.
    Jean22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Yes, I used to wear Durasoft extended wear for 30 years and my eyes are healthy. Many doctors have asked to examine my eyes because I wore these contacts for 30 days and over 30 years. I am heart broken because they are no long made. I can't get use to removing my contacts every night.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No contact even ex contacts you? [ 193 Answers ]

This guy,basicalle an LDR, I fell for broke it off with me dropping the bomb saying that he rather meet someone locally in his area. Then he finally admitted months later that he has been seeing someone. I have been so broken and shattered,I kept asking myself did I ever mean anything t this...

Contacts [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am 16 years old and my parents think Im mature enough to handel contacts, but I have an astigmatism and I know there are contacts for that but what are they exactly and what does the doctor do when you go to get them? Also I have black hair and pretty dark brown eyes and I wanted to get...

Ex contacts me for her own gain! [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my ex split up and she started dating a friend of the family that I knew! I bascially told her to leave me alone as she kept calling and txtin but she just wanted to be friends with me and felt a little guilty I recon! I told her it was all or nothing with me!! She chose the nothing! GOOD!...

Illusions contacts VS Natural touch contacts [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Any one got any info on Illusions opeque colored contacts and Natrual Touch opeque colored contacts? Because I want to order some but my budget is very slim. The discroption of the contacts says that they provide depth to the eye... which gives off the illusion that they color you have is the...

View more questions Search