Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariah08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Landlord and tenant
    Me and my husband and 2 yr old son have been living in our apartment sense June of this year... and the first thing I wanted to ask was... how long should it take a landlord to fix a door to our apartment? Because they also own the store downstairs and well they haven't fixed it in 6 months. Also we never really have hot water. Its been lukewarm and now its freezing cold. And I said something to them about this but they said they can't do anything about this because there only one boiler for the whole building... mind you which is 5 apartments and they use up the water all day downstairs in there store. And another thing we don't have our own thermostat for our apartment. Its in the store here we can't access it. So when its 20 below out and my sons room is freezing cold I can't turn up the heat because I can't access it. Isn't there a housing law stating that all apartments must have a separate thermostat

Me and my husband also had an altercation with another tenant whom lives above us... he yells in the hallway, he stomps up the stairs at 2am, and the stairs are right next to our bed. Also he plays his radio at ridiculas hours(im talking 8am). I asked him to keep it down and he threatened me and then tried to asalt my husband. We called the police and they said to tell the landlord and they couldn't do anything... we called the landlord and she said that it would be best if we moved. Because the other tenant is apart of her "TEAM" because he works downstairs... I'm sorry but think that's discrimination.

Well because she said that she thinks that we should move... me and my husband have not paid a months worth of rent because of the list of things wrong with the apartment and the still broken door... and now she's is saying she's going to have us evicted.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this situation?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Yes, you really need to move, Also be sure you inspect apartmetns and find out problems before moving in.

It is obvous they are not gong to do anything so it would be better most likely if you did move.

You can report them to the code enforcemnt on the water and heat

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VA landlord/Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tenant who has been late with rent since January and is late for May and I will get the money June for May. I have felt sorry because she has children but should I send her a letter and say what?

Landlord/Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

Landlord is suing me in small claims court, for not providing a written notice, damage to Unit, Garbage disposal and for unpaid rent, I did give two months verbal notice, did not damage unit, have all copies of cheques paid and a letter from One of the partner stating I have paid my rent on time...

Landlord Tenant [ 6 Answers ]

I have a problem with my landlord and the association and I need your assistance. The property is in North Brunswick, NJ In June, my landlord received a letter, dated June 16th, stating that I have placed some miscellaneous items (Couple of buckets and a mop stick) on the deck of my rented...

Tenant vs. Landlord, VA [ 4 Answers ]

This one is a bit complicated... any help would be greatly appreciated... I was told by a woman I was working with that she had a house I could move in to and pay her "whatever" for the moment because she was paying the mortgage and it was empty. Something is better than nothing. I moved in...

View more questions Search