Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hailstorm1375 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Theft under 5000 and being unlawfully in a dwelling
    For the past 2 yrs I have been on a methadone maitenace program, for a serious opiate abuse problem. Over a yr ago I got a job as a home support worker, helping people in there homes.
    About 3 months ago I got a new client who was prescribed methadose for pain. I'm not going to sugar coat this there's no reason to, I started stealing her pain pills a few at a time. My client saw that pills were dwindeling away and decided to put in a video camera to catch the person doing in.
    So I got busted. I'm not using my addiction as an excuse because I KNOW that what I was doing was wrong. The day I got caught an officer came to my door and talked to me about it, I "played" dumb at first but he told me they had me on tape. I gave him back the pills I had left (I had already taken some) He didn't take me down to the station because I have a chid and he was nice enough not to envolve her. THANK GOD. I went the next day and was charged with theft under 5000 and being unlawfully in a dwelling. I have never been in trouble before, and I am so scared. I have pretty much already said I was guilty by givivng him the pills back not to mention the tape. When I was at the station I gave the officer a letter of apaology I wrote to the lady. I am so ashamed, and can't even think about how I have made her feel. It was front page news yesterday (without my name but my family have already figured it out)

Do I need a lawyer? I'm a single mother, it would have to be legal aide. Or should I just go in and tell them my story? I am seeking more addiction help now, and counselling but
    I am so afraid that I am going to jail, and I'll lose my daughter.
    What should I do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Hello hail:

IF you're being charged with a felony, then you'll be appointed a lawyer. Until then, don't talk to the cops or anybody else.

If you didn't understand my last sentence, let me repeat it, don't talk to the cops!

excon

Jan 22, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Thanks for the answer, I am in the process of seeking legal council. I am most likely going to plead guilty to the first counts as they have me on tape. When they first arressted me they asked me questions about other clients who had reported money or meds missing. I denied it cause the first lady was the ONLY person I stole from.
    But after x mas the cop decided to charge me again because one of the clients who reported pills missing I had seen once or twice. The cop called me back and charged me with another count of theft under 5000 and being unlawful in a dwelling house. Like I said I'll plead guilty to the first one but this second one is crap ( I know it looks bad tho) Does anyone know what kind of sentencing I could be looking at? This is a first offence.
    Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Oh by the way I live in Ontario Canada

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft over $5000 [ 4 Answers ]

My son is being charged with theft over 5000 In Edmonton Alberta. What is the Minimum and maximum sentence for this offence? It is his first offense.

Theft under 5000 [ 1 Answers ]

l was wondering when you get caught, the store sapposivly sends u a bill for x amount. L was wondering when l'll get it cause its been almost 1 month.. wondering if it got lost during tansit.

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

Theft Under 5000 [ 3 Answers ]

I will keep this short and simple. Earliar in March I was charged with theft under 5000. I just received a letter from a company asking me for $500 in damaged incurred do to their loss. Now the letter is obviously just a mass printed letter with my name intserted. What should I do?...

Theft under 5000 [ 5 Answers ]

Wondering what is the most possible sentence for a guy25 who stole 3 batteries in superstore ?

View more questions Search