Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bondarenko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2007, 09:22 AM
    Maytag dryer has intermittent heating element malfunction
    I have a nearly new(about three years old) Maytag Neptune electric dryer.

About a year ago, the unit began occasionally, and over several months more frequently,
    Running through it's dry cycle without the heating element coming on. Interestingly, whenever the heating element wasn't working, the courtesy light inside the dryer bin would also be non-functional. Initially, I found I could correct the problem by disconnecting the unit from the power supply for a period of several minutes to a few hours. Ultimately, the problem was constant and drying clothes became impossible.

Throughout this time all other functions - timer, tumbler motor, etc. - seemed normal. Just for the record, the unit is subjected to only moderate use (about six loads a week), the vent tube is clear, the lint trap is cleaned after each use and the unit is kept in a climate controlled laundry area. Also, the problem seems independent of any use pattern, sometimes occurring after drying a couple of loads, sometimes after the dryer has been idle for several days. Just to be clear, when the courtesy light is non-functional, the heating element is also non-functional, even though everything else seems to work normally.

About six months ago, I called a Maytag repair tech who diagnosed the problem as a faulty Electronic Control Board ($200.00 plus the service call). After replacing the Board, the dryer mostly worked normally (it occasionally exhibited the same problem for short periods of time), until yesterday when the heating element - and the courtesy light - stopped working again.

At this point, I don't believe the Electronic Control Board is the root cause of the problem
    (and if it is, I can't afford a $200.00 Control Board every six months).
    My instinct tells me the problem is related to a short, a bad relay or limit switch or some type of fuse/circuit breaker within the unit. And whatever component is at fault it is one that is in some way common to, or related to, both the heater and the courtesy light.

But without a wiring diagram and/or troubleshooting guide, I have no idea where to begin. By the way, I've tried replacing the courtesy light bulb, the door switch and the circuit breaker in the house panel just on the off chance they may have had something to do with the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions about the cause(s) of the problem?
    Any ideas about where I can get a wiring diagram and/or troubleshooting guide for this unit? I've heard that Maytags come with a wiring diagram, but I can't find one, either in the unit itself or in any of the documents that came with it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Is Vent clear of lint, and duct door opening?
    Could be a thermal on air duct open(ing).
    bondarenko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Is Vent clear of lint, and duct door opening?
    Could be a thermal on air duct open(ing).
    Vent is absolutely clear. It's not that the heater is coming on and shutting off or isn't satisfactorily drying clothes,it's that the heating element isn't coming on at all. The problem seems to be related to continuity of electrical circuits within the machine.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2007, 09:09 AM
    With power off, check continuity of element and thermals on vent.
    Or with power on, If you are a Safe with Live Electrical, Follow the power, and see where you are losing it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Timer or heating element gone nuts on ge dryer [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 yr old GE dryer. I had turned in on before leaving for work, however when I came home the dryer was off, hower extremely hot to the touch. The next day it was still very hot and it was not running. I was told to unplug it and I did, it immediately started to cool off. Now it does not...

Wiring for whirlpool dryer heating element [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced burned out heating element in whirlpool electric dryer. But, cannot remember where the wires go. Can someone help me?

MayTag Dryer Heating element [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Maytag stacked washer dryer. Model #LSE7804ACE. Should the heating element come on and go off during the drying cycle. The dryer itself never shuts off. The fan is blowing and the duct is new. I can watch the element come on and go off. I have recently noticed it takes longer...

How to replace heating element in Kenmoore dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The heating element on my Kenmoore 86873800 dryer. I have the part but don't know how to replace it. Anyone know how? Thank You!

Maytag dryer heating element wiring schematic [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Maytag dryer model#SDE5401AYW and it quit heating. We purchased a new heating element and went to hook it up but we have two gray wires that come from the wire harness at the motor that we have no clue where they go. My father-in-law took out the old heating element and didn't mark the...

View more questions Search