Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    824creed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2007, 11:57 PM
    Wood fillers
    What is a food-safe filler for cracks in wooden utensils?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 12:27 AM
    If you are talking about filling the cracks in wooden utensils and not filling larger cracks that might be found in wooden bowls, there are finishes that can be applied that are non-toxic that would fill smaller cracks.

What is below is from the following site. Food-Safe Finishes

Food-Safe Finishes

A summary of non-toxic finishing products ideal for cutting boards, salad bowls, and other food-centric woodwork
    By Jonathan Binzen

After scores of conversations with chemists, regulatory agencies, finish manufacturers, finishing experts, and woodworkers, I found that there are a few finishes that everyone agrees are food safe. However, these finishes tend to be the least protective, and the great majority are in a kind of limbo, with many experts saying most are fine for use with food but with others saying they should be avoided because there are some lingering questions about their safety. In the welter of contrary opinions about which finishes are food safe and which are not, a few naturally derived, unblended, no-hidden-ingredients, certainly nontoxic finishes stand out.

Pure tung oil. Extracted from the nut of the china wood tree. Used as a base in many blended finishes. Available from catalogs and hardware stores. Difficult to apply, requires many coats, good water-resistance.

Raw linseed oil. Pressed from flax seeds. Not to be confused with boiled linseed, which contains metallic driers. Listed as a food additive by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Very long curing time, good looks, low water-resistance, frequent reapplication.

Mineral oil. Although derived from petroleum, it is colorless, odorless, tasteless and entirely inert. Sold as a laxative in drug stores and as a wood finish in hardware and kitchen-supply stores. Simple to apply, low water resistance, frequent reapplication.

Walnut oil. Pressed from the nuts of the walnut tree. Sold as a salad oil in health food stores and in large grocery stores. Walnut oil dries and won't go rancid. Easy to apply, frequent reapplication.

Beeswax. The work of the honey bee. Can be mixed with an oil to create a better-smelling, slightly more water repellent finish. Sold in woodworking and turning catalogs.

Carnauba wax. Derived from the Brazilian palm tree. Harder than beeswax and more water-resistant. Can be used straight on woodenware as a light protective coating or a topcoat polish. Sold in woodworking and turning catalogs.

Shellac. A secretion from the lac bug. Harvested in India. Super blond shellac in flake form is the most water resistant variety. A film-forming finish. Sold in woodworking catalogs and hardware and art supply stores.

Nothing. Available everywhere. Makes a reasonable finish for wooden ware. No application time. Free.

A recipe for one sweet finish
    The food-safe finish that appeals most to me is one recommended by Jim and Jean Lakiotes, West Virginia makers of spoons and other kitchen items, as well as furniture. Their finish is a mixture of mineral oil and beeswax.
    To make it, warm the mineral oil in a saucepan over low heat, and melt a chunk of beeswax in it equal to about one-fifth or one-sixth the volume of the oil. (At high heat, there's a potential for fire. Be sure to keep the heat low, and consider using a double boiler.) As the wax begins to flake apart and dissolve, stir frequently. When the mixture is blended, pour it into a jar to cool and solidify.

To apply, wipe on an excess of the soft paste, let it dry a bit, then wipe it off. If you want to apply it as a liquid, you can reheat it. Like any mineral oil or

Wax finish that will take a lot of abuse, this one will need to be reapplied often to afford decent moisture protection. But applying this fragrant finish is such a pleasure that you may find yourself looking forward to the task.
    This article is excerpted from Jonathan Binzen's article "Which Finishes Are Food Safe," featured in Fine Woodworking #129.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood [ 2 Answers ]

I have a concrete wall that starts at about 8 feet and declines to about a foot in a diagonal manner. Along this wall and flush with it are aluminum braces that secure an inground pool. I want to put up a wood trellis so that it covers the ugly braces. I believe that I can screw the wood...

Fungus and wood [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought an older home with an upstairs shower that had been leaking into the framing below it. The section 1 pest report notes "fungus and rot decay" to the wood members below it, and recommends replacing all the damaged framing. However, inspecting this framing myself reveals wood that has...

Wood fence [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build a fence 8 ft tall and I am requested by the city engineered wind load calculations for 90 miles per hour, sustained for 3 seconds. How do I calculate this? Thanks for any help

Twisted Wood [ 4 Answers ]

I have a piece of wood approximately 3x10 35" long. It is slightly twisted. I need a finished piece 2x6 32" long. How do I take off the high parts and leave the low? Running it through the planer doesn't get it, it just twists as it goes through. Please Helppppp! Thanks

Wood furnace [ 2 Answers ]

We have a wood furnace that blows heat to gas furnace. When fan/limit switches reaches temp blower kicks on blowing heat in.Worked fine last winter now blower will not kick in when limit is reached.Any idea why?

View more questions Search