Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emm Lura Posts: 84, Reputation: 15

Dec 21, 2007, 03:04 PM
    College grants for people with g.e.d.'s
    I am 20 years old and I want to go to college for psychology.

I got my G.E.D. when I turned 16 and I have been working ever since.

My question is does Ohio have any grants that could help me out? And if so how do I go about applying for them?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 03:08 PM
    There are federal pell grants for people who want to go to college, you just have to qualify. And yes, you can receive them if you have a GED.

Try this site!!

FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Do colleges still require the A.C.T. and/or S.A.T. That is something worth checking out and then finding resources for study and testing, so that you can be accepted into college.
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 03:15 PM
    They aren't really required for Community Colleges any longer. You just take a COMPASS test first. Community colleges are great starting points as they are less expensive, smaller classes so better teacher/student ratio, and their credits do transfer for the most part.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Even begin with two years at a community college to make sure a college degree is something you want. Get your basic classes out of the way and earn a certificate and/or an A.A. The career and dean's offices will help you with scholarship and grant information, four-year college apps, career possibilities, etc.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 03:23 PM
    My niece is starting at our local Community College in January. She is not sure what she wants but she does know she does not want to be "left behind" as far as her friends and aspirations. She'll get her basic core done and then go from there.

You are right, J, about the cost. We have a University here (although a parochial one and hugely expensive) and the costs just cannot compare. For two years at Bismarck State, for my niece, the investment is less than $5,000.00. For one semester at the University, a sneeze is almost $5,000.00.
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 03:34 PM
    Community colleges offer PTK (Phi Theta Kappa), it is an international honor society for community colleges. You get in if you keep a GPA of 3.0 or better. If you are a PTK member, you can have full ride scholarships to many many universities.

I am a member of PTK and will be going for my Bachelors at University of Memphis next year for free.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 03:38 PM
    That is wonderful for you, J. Congratulations! You work hard and put 100%+ in all you do.
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
    Yes, and Emm can too.

Psychology is a wonderful field to get in to. We don't have enough psychologists these days and a lot of good people are suffering for it.

I say go for it EMM!! With your background you have the ability to do amazing things!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 21, 2007, 03:47 PM
    There are 100's of grants and loans for people to go to college Go to the college you want to go to talk to the financial aid department.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2007, 03:54 PM
    True, the Psych field is wide open - many career paths available. You can be a therapist, work in a school, work in industry, human resources, employee negotiations, government, mental health (a wide variety of settings and populations), department of corrections, developmental disabilities, behavioral science, and the list goes on. You can work easily with a B.A. and continue on if you so desire.

Your world is like a great tablet that you can write your goals and choose your concentration of study and speciality. The very best of all to you.
    Financialaidguy Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Emm,

What school do you want to attend in Ohio? Their financial aid department should have a ton of information on grants and scholarships that do not have to be repaid. Their sole purpose in life is to assist students in their quest to go to college.

What they will do is evaluate your current situation meaning, they will determine if you are a dependent child (supported by parents) or independent (on your own). There is criteria for each, and depending on your status, you or your parents will have to supply tax information, apply for financial aid, and then the government will assess your financial needs, they will pass this information to the college where you want to enroll, and then the college financial aid department will determine how much aid you receive and in what forms.

Let me know if this helps.

Jan 9, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Financialaidguy
    Emm,

What school do you want to attend in Ohio? Their financial aid department should have a ton of information on grants and scholarships that do not have to be repaid. Their sole purpose in life is to assist students in their quest to go to college.

What they will do is evaluate your current situation meaning, they will determine if you are a dependent child (supported by parents) or independent (on your own). Their is criteria for each, and depending on your status, you or your parents will have to supply tax information, apply for financial aid, and then the government will assess your financial needs, they will pass this information to the college where you want to enroll, and then the college financial aid department will determine how much aid you receive and in what forms.

Let me know if this helps.
    Thanks a lot. There is only one thing, I'm not in school. I got my G. E. D. about 4 and a half years ago. I live with my fiancé and I haven't lived with my parents for over two years. I don't know if any of this means anything but I really have no clue where to go to talk to a financial aid counselor since I'm not it school.

Jan 9, 2008, 09:56 PM
    Emm,

Tell me what college or university you are considering applying to and I will tell you exactly what you will need. The process may seem a bit intimidating but it is really easy.

Jan 9, 2008, 11:03 PM
    I was thinking of Miami University

Jan 11, 2008, 11:08 PM
    Emm,

Not sure if you have filled out a Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA). This is the first step. Go to this site to begin the process, starting this year there are no paper FAFSA's that are mailed in, they must all be done electronic. Here is the link.

The big issue for you will be dependency status. If you are considered dependent, you will need your parents tax information from the previous year and their income will be considered in your financial aid. If you are considered independent, you will only need your own tax information to fill out the FAFSA.

To be Independent you must meet on or more of the following:

23 or older as of Jan 01, 2008
    Married
    Veteran
    Have Children
    Active Duty Military
    Ward of Court

From your profile here it doesn't appear you meet any of that criteria, so you would need your parents information.

Once you fill out the FAFSA, the dept. of education will calculate how much financial assistance you need, and then communicate that info to the university of choice, which for you would be Miami University. The financial aid dept. there would compile a package of aid that contains federal pell grants, any state grants, work study funds, loans, scholarships available, etc. At that point you will know what financial aid you will have available.

At our college, the majority of students get full tuition, fees, and books funded through financial aid. What the government doesn't pick up, local scholarships and work study does.

Hope this helps, I see you are on myspace so feel free to hit me up there or continue posting any questions here.

Jan 14, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Oh I'm sorry I misread one of your posts. I thought it said what school do you attend, and it said what school do you want to attend. Do you see why I need to go to college, I can't even read! Lol.

All this information is very helpful.

I did the first part to see if I'd need my parent's info or not and I don't because I am a veteran. That makes it a lot less stressful.

I will do the rest of the application when I get home from work. Thanks a lot!

Emm
    johnbigopenis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2011, 11:26 AM
    *** inside many little girls pussys then run like the flash!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gov grants - any Grants [ 8 Answers ]

I have a new business for 6 months. I have been in this type of work for 11 years and have the same customers. I buy offshore produce and ship them to the states. I ship 40,000 - 200,000 pounds a week"or I did" I don't have the up front money to buy now. Does anyone know a good place to start ...

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

Grants [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if there are any grants for pasture or farm land to take care of neglected or rescued horses in Georgia or Florida? Thanks!

Grants [ 1 Answers ]

how Can I Get A Grant To Start A Home Based Business?.

View more questions Search